• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

veganbob

U19 Captain
He’ll be at least 7 with Watling back.

That batting at six thing definitely resulted in a lot of anger his way, poor little chap.

He isn't even a good test number 8.
And he isn't even a decent test spinner.
Its a worse selection than giving guppy so many chances as a test opener.
Especially when a potentially proper test spinner like sodhi does not get to play despite santner being so awful.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tastle or Sodhi?
Taste all the way.

I think Sodhi leapfrogging him in ODIs even though he was good is the right call, but I think he's probably NZ's best FC/Test spinner in a five man attack. I'd go Santner in a four man attack because there would definitely be times it just wasn't Tastle's day, but with de Grandhomme at six I think Taste at eight makes lots of sense.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
If Southee was a fixture earlier despite woeful ODI performances in the last 3 years, he is positively undroppable now that he is seen as stand-in captain.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not that they have the runs to play with, but ordinary bowling this from Boult and Southee, honing in on middle and leg. Not going to restrict them, so might as well try a Test match approach. McCullum would have had 5 slips and 2 gullys.

Zinzan

Ferguson bowling speed average per spell sweep anyone?

Spell 1: 147, Spell 2. 144, Spell 3. 143

veganbob

U19 Captain
He’ll be at least 7 with Watling back.

That batting at six thing definitely resulted in a lot of anger his way, poor little chap.
Haha, he so is.

I probably even wouldn't even pick him in the Test side, but he's definitely good #8. Come on man.

Not really good imo. England, India, pakistan, westindies, srilanka and zimbabwe all have better test no 8's than santner. Australia and south africa currently have strike bowlers at number 8.
He isn't a good test number 8 by current standards and honestly feel even his low average flatters him.

For all the critisicms southees batting gets, he is a better number 9 than santner is a 8.

This wouldn't be a problem if he was a decent test bowler, which he isn't.

vandem

International 12th Man
A well deserved whipping. We won't win many games with a top order attitude of "****, we've lost 2 wickets, time to play safe for the next 30 overs, I can always catch up on SR in the back half of my innings ...".

robbypark

U19 Debutant
A well deserved whipping. We won't win many games with a top order attitude of "****, we've lost 2 wickets, time to play safe for the next 30 overs, I can always catch up on SR in the back half of my innings ...".
NZ always play like this when batting first though. Even if you don't lose early wickets, NZ strategy always seems to be to play conservative until the 35th+ over when they finally decide to let it go only for it to not work out like they think.

Howsie

International Captain
That was honestly the worst I’ve seen a New Zealand team bat in an ODI in years. For what ever reason Guptill and Taylor, and then Latham decided that it was a 210 pitch. England quickly made them look silly as I believed they would.

I’ll say this now, New Zealand have no chance, absolutely no chance of doing anything at this World Cup next year unless they’re willing to sack Hesson or give him a proper good whack over the head. It’s such a badly constructed team and all the fault comes down on him for that.

Burgey

Didn’t realise Stokes was playing this series. Hope the crowds are absolutely razzing him.