• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2018

SeamUp

International Coach
Can now add Duanne Olivier to Derbyshire for the first seven games of the Championship season, a move that might please you SeamUp in terms of aiding Olivier's development ?
Definitely Woodster.

Feel like I'm still searching for answers with Olivier. Getting this opportunity will hopefully take his game to the next level with the pressure that comes with being the overseas pro.

Also suppose 2nd division cricket and the smaller teams feel the need to go this route now. Derbyshire's attack will include Viljoen and Rampaul too.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Markram is to play the early stages before the one-dayers when Latham takes over. Latham must presumably be having a rest following the England series as he isn't in the IPL and there are no further internationals.

S.Kennedy

Durham are on the hunt for a twenty20 chap also as they signed Rimmington on a British passport.

Tom Flint

International Regular
What is Botham's role at Durham these days. Would he have one of the people onions was having a dig at last week?

S.Kennedy

What is Botham's role at Durham these days. Would he have one of the people onions was having a dig at last week?
Probably more Jon Lewis but perhaps. Onions is bitter and understandably as they put their foot down on giving him a two year contract only to sign Rimmington who is the same age as Onions on a two year contract! In Durham's defense, Onions spent the best part of last season on the treatment table.

The Durham way is to put their ''old guys'' on one year rolling contracts. Collingwood renews his every year.

theegyptian

Hampshire seem to love a middle order bat. Still unsure who is going to open the batting. and how they are going to fit Vince, Amla, Rossouw, Northeast, Dawson, Ervine, Mcmanus into the middle order? Presumably at least one of those will have to open, although I doubt there are any willing suitors from that group.

Woodster

International Captain
Hampshire seem to love a middle order bat. Still unsure who is going to open the batting. and how they are going to fit Vince, Amla, Rossouw, Northeast, Dawson, Ervine, Mcmanus into the middle order? Presumably at least one of those will have to open, although I doubt there are any willing suitors from that group.
Wasn't Amla approached about specifically opening the batting ? Something he was keen to do.

SeamUp

International Coach
McManus definitely misses out.

Think last year they were opening and keeping Alsop ?

Vince, Amla, Rossouw, Northeast the definite 3 to 6 for me.

theegyptian

Mcmanus was the main keeper last year. Wasn't particularly impressive but still scored runs at better average than Alsop, and Alsop hasn't kept much so I imagine his keeping is average. Opening the batting isn't something you want to do as a keeper really either.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...hree-conference-county-championship-kljh3k628
'As well as changes to the championship, counties are set to lobby the ECB to maintain the size of the T20 Blast competition in 2020.'

'However, with an increased amount of cricket in the schedule due to the new T20 competition, county chiefs recognise that it is only likely they will be able to maintain 14 group matches in the T20 Blast if something gives way in the championship. Reducing the number of championship matches by one or two, through the introduction of a conference system, would free up an extra week in the schedule to keep their extra Blast matches.'

UGh ugh ugh. If they do end up with two t20 comps it is going to be so terrible. This would be the terrible compromise by the ECB.

S.Kennedy

If they reduce the championship any further I'll seriously have to consider whether it is worthwhile buying my membership.

SeamUp

International Coach
Mcmanus was the main keeper last year. Wasn't particularly impressive but still scored runs at better average than Alsop, and Alsop hasn't kept much so I imagine his keeping is average. Opening the batting isn't something you want to do as a keeper really either.

So it was only the back end of the comp Alsop opened and kept ?

It's not ideal but I suppose they lacking opening depth to.

Ervine, Dawson, Berg are decent options for lower middle order to.

So they got a bit to think about that is for sure.

theegyptian

I think Mcmanus broke a finger at the back end of the season. Whatever they do it's a lopsided squad. So much talent but it's hard to see them winning the championship. Amla opening might be the best bet if he is amenable. Mcmanus isn't good enough to open and Alsop unlikely to be good enough keeper and batting form is equally bad.