• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seems like it'd be a bit crude to play a test match days before the city is about run out of it's water supply

Heboric

International Debutant
Seems like it'd be a bit crude to play a test match days before the city is about run out of it's water supply
Its not as if there is going be 10 000 extra people from Australia or something. Any case nobody really drinks tap water at the stadium. Just beer and bottled water.

Gob

International Coach
Jaques was a massive loss to Australia at the time. On the back of Hayden and Langer retiring he was a ready made replacement at test level. Then he had that back surgery which basically ****ed him over. I remember reading it actually left him over two centimetres shorter than he had been pre-op.

Actually, I remember now it was him they were talking about on the radio the other week who's now into some coaching and had the video of all these guys with strangely different trigger movements but who all end up in the same position at the point of release of the ball.
Kat man leaped over in WI iirc before the India tour in 08 after being recalled to replace matt hayden and hayden then faded in to retirement against SA at home and was replaced by the Prince who gunned it in SA but then was dropped halfway through the ashes next year for watto and watto went on to do a good job as an opener for twk good years. Overall point i guess is that i don't think Aust missed Jaques that much it was the misfiring middle order that was the issue then

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its not as if there is going be 10 000 extra people from Australia or something. Any case nobody really drinks tap water at the stadium. Just beer and bottled water.
10 000 people make no difference in CT... its not Benoni we are talking about! now 100 000 Aussies that would be a problem, but 100 000 Aussies is always a problem, anywhere.

I wonder if the borehole water they use at the stadium is fit for human consumption. So of the nicest water comes from those boreholes.

TheJediBrah

Kat man leaped over in WI iirc before the India tour in 08 after being recalled to replace matt hayden and hayden then faded in to retirement against SA at home and was replaced by the Prince who gunned it in SA but then was dropped halfway through the ashes next year for watto and watto went on to do a good job as an opener for twk good years. Overall point i guess is that i don't think Aust missed Jaques that much it was the misfiring middle order that was the issue then
I tend to agree with this. Jaques was great, but his massive and rapid fade into obscurity owes largely to him being replaced very effectively by the likes of Katich/Hughes/Watson and co. Even though he was never really fit enough to be playing no one was asking "hey where is that Jaques guy we really could use him"

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
We've actually been surprisingly successful in our opening pairing for ages, despite it not being super stable. It's what comes beneath them which has been much more suspect.

Marius

International Debutant
10 000 people make no difference in CT... its not Benoni we are talking about! now 100 000 Aussies that would be a problem, but 100 000 Aussies is always a problem, anywhere.

I wonder if the borehole water they use at the stadium is fit for human consumption. So of the nicest water comes from those boreholes.
Take that crack about Benoni back or I will cut you.

Burgey

Yeah but if Jaques doesn’t get injured one or both of watson and Katich play in the middle order.

Burgey

Man I remember Jaques taking Steyn apart in an odi under the roof at docklands. Fmd he smashed him that night.