• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

Heboric

International Debutant
6.4.1 If the on-field umpires decide that it is dangerous or unreasonable for play to continue on the match pitch, they shall stop play immediately advise the match referee
6.4.2 The on-field umpires and the ICC match referee shall then consult with both captains
6.4.3 If the captains agree to continue, play shall resume
6.4.4 If the decision is not to resume play, the on-field umpires together with the ICC match referee shall consider whether the existing pitch can be repaired and the match resumed from the point it was stopped
6.4.5 If the decision is that it can't be repaired, then the match is to be abandoned as a draw

So if both captains are happy to play on, then the match can go on. Question is what will Faf do?
Q: If the match ref, asks what you would like to do?

Gibson: We are here to play cricket. We still want to play cricket. The match ref's decision will be on player safety. If the match ref says play on, we are going to play once a decision is made, that's it. We prepare like we do every morning. Throughout the whole game on both sides, you saw batsmen wearing a few. India didn't complain and we didn't either. Dean got in hit in the face, he wasn't able to take evasive action. The match ref feels there is something there for him to look at. Once they make a decision, we will get on with it.

Last edited:

Top Cat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
But the captains have the right to overrule the umpires. It's clear in the laws as mentioned above. With mutual consent.

Top Cat

Frankly, any which way, this is embarassing for South Africa.

Of all the teams that have toured India, the one team that till today cries about the pitches in India and how they want revenge has been South Africa and Faf du Plessis. Now they prepare a stinker, and in their home ground (after Morkel's been going around the wicket to bounce the tail!!!) they are "leaving it to the umpires" to decide instead of telling them no we will play.

Mohammad Shami of all people played 32 balls for 27 runs on this pitch!!!

Heboric

International Debutant
Frankly, any which way, this is embarassing for South Africa.

Of all the teams that have toured India, the one team that till today cries about the pitches in India and how they want revenge has been South Africa and Faf du Plessis. Now they prepare a stinker, and in their home ground (after Morkel's been going around the wicket to bounce the tail!!!) they are "leaving it to the umpires" to decide instead of telling them no we will play.

Mohammad Shami of all people played 32 balls for 27 runs on this pitch!!!
Like the embarrassment of those pitches in India, the Wanderers will be fined and lose income I guess

Top Cat

Like the embarrassment of those pitches in India, the Wanderers will be fined and lose income I guess
And none of those matches got abandoned. A dangerous pitch is MUCH worse than one that spins or seams excessively.

Plus you don't just get fined. I think the ground can't host matches for 12 months. And the embarassment of walking off on your own ground after your fast bowlers have peppered the tail and still allowed the likes of Bhuvi and Shami to score 30 odd runs.

They need to show some guts. "Leaving it to the umpires" is very different to saying we will play...it's proxy for "I hope it gets called off".

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
And none of those matches got abandoned. A dangerous pitch is MUCH worse than one that spins or seams excessively.

Plus you don't just get fined. I think the ground can't host matches for 12 months. And the embarassment of walking off on your own ground after your fast bowlers have peppered the tail and still allowed the likes of Bhuvi and Shami to score 30 odd runs.

They need to show some guts. "Leaving it to the umpires" is very different to saying we will play...it's proxy for "I hope it gets called off".
**** that, i doubt the players will give a damn what some random twits on twitter or some internet tough guy thinks - and rightfully so. Maybe you read the press conference

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just don't see the point especially since the series is over anyways. Would rather the umpires accept that they should have called it off earlier, publicly apologize for making that mistake, and then calling it off now. It may be ok to ask batsmen to bat on while risking finger and hand injuries, but I really don't want to see people getting hit on elbows, ribs or on the ****ing head.

Guess I'm in the minority though.

Top Cat

**** that, i doubt the players will give a damn what some random twits on twitter or some internet tough guy thinks - and rightfully so. Maybe you read the press conference
They can walk off....but massive respect for India for a) not complaining and b) Tailenders sticking around against Rabada and Morkel and gutsing it out.

Secondly, its funny how the team that criticizes Indian pitches the most rolls out this piece of garbage. Either you complain about pitches or you keep quiet. Once you complain....well just make sure it doesn't come back to bite.

murphuripper

Cricket Spectator
They can walk off....but massive respect for India for a) not complaining and b) Tailenders sticking around against Rabada and Morkel and gutsing it out.

Secondly, its funny how the team that criticizes Indian pitches the most rolls out this piece of garbage. Either you complain about pitches or you keep quiet. Once you complain....well just make sure it doesn't come back to bite.
Yeah but hang on a minute...if india weren't in such a strong position, do you think Kohli would have wanted the game to go on? Have they arrived at a decision yet? It said on Cricinfo.com decision was imminent

Motorwada

Banned
Yeah but hang on a minute...if india weren't in such a strong position, do you think Kohli would have wanted the game to go on? Have they arrived at a decision yet? It said on Cricinfo.com decision was imminent
The point comes from the fact that it is a home game for SA who doctored the pitch. If India walked away in the 4th innings of the Pune test I am assuming Aussies wouldn't be too pleased.

Heboric

International Debutant

Oh please respect and Indian cricket have gone out the door a looong time ago. If the roles were reversed and golden boy Kohl got hit in the head, Ravi Shastri would be running on the field threatening a boycott

Motorwada

Banned
Oh please respect and Indian cricket have gone out the door a looong time ago. If the roles were reversed and golden boy Kohl got hit in the head, Ravi Shastri would be running on the field threatening a boycott
Shut up. Your bias is showing. Difference would be the pitch would still have been prepared by SA. SA gets destroyed in India not even looking like winning a session, survives a whitewash due to rain, doctors pitches in their "revenge" series and still get run close by an Indian team with crap selections, the one match where the A Indian team plays on the most doctored pitch SA get outplayed and are chickening out. SA are just an average team who lucked out due to ill preparation and inconsistent selections by the Indian team (and still got run close). The one match where the frontline Indian team plays they don't even look like winning. There is a reason SA lost 0-3 in Ind and 1-2 and 1-3 vs Eng.

Heboric

International Debutant
Shut up. Your bias is showing. Difference would be the pitch would still have been prepared by SA. SA gets destroyed in India not even looking like winning a session, survives a whitewash due to rain, doctors pitches in their "revenge" series and still get run close by an Indian team with crap selections, the one match where the A Indian team plays on the most doctored pitch SA get outplayed and are chickening out. SA are just an average team who lucked out due to ill preparation and inconsistent selections by the Indian team (and still got run close). The one match where the frontline Indian team plays they don't even look like winning. There is a reason SA lost 0-3 in Ind and 1-2 and 1-3 vs Eng.
lol, i am not going to waste my time showing how BCCI and Indian cricket act when things dont go their way, its available for all to see.

Last edited: