• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now is not the time to make this decision. Can come back tomorrow with better light continue play and then if the umpires deem it hazardous, the captains can have the fight. But really this should have been done earlier in the day. Once the ball gets a bit softer it seems not so bad, (still not good though!)......

This is embarrassing for SA cricket.... actually really pissing me off.

Top Cat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Did the ball to Elgar even misbehave? Jesus, this isn't Mitchell Johnson bowling. Seriously, Morkel was bowling around the wicket to Bumrah and 10 overs later Elgar acts like a so and so against Bhuvi and co bowling.

Thought South Africa are made of harder material than this?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If SA get better batting conditions tomorrow and win the test, it will be much more unfair than calling this match off. They should not have recalled the players now when India had the momentum.

Heboric

International Debutant
Did the ball to Elgar even misbehave? Jesus, this isn't Mitchell Johnson bowling. Seriously, Morkel was bowling around the wicket to Bumrah and 10 overs later Elgar acts like a so and so against Bhuvi and co bowling.

Thought South Africa are made of harder material than this?
I suppose its all previous events adding up. Plus isnt it the umpires decision alone which decides if they go off and not the players.

Spark

Global Moderator
If SA get better batting conditions tomorrow and win the test, it will be much more unfair than calling this match off. They should not have recalled the players now when India had the momentum.
In fairness, a shower rolled in about ten minutes later and then it would have been stumps regardless.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can understand why they stopped play but that hit on Elgar had barely anything to do with the pitch unlike some of the earlier blows.

Also the pitch didn't look anywhere near as treacherous once the ball softened in India's innings. It's probably the right decision to go off but I can totally understand kohli's frustration.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We have provisions in the law where the umpires can call for pitch reparations if they think it's fair on both teams. As things stand, that would have to be tomorrow, because the pitch is under covers now.
z

anaksr

U19 Debutant
From the very beginning Elgars batting looks like he is batting on minefield and then when he comes across this pitch it's obvious that he would make mountain out of molehill

Arachnodouche

International Captain
How is sleeping on this going to make the pitch any better tomorrow? Either call it off or get on with the game. This indecisiveness does neither team any favours.

Top Cat

If South Africa don't want to bat, they should forfeit the innings. This is a joke.

I mean, Bhuvi Shami all got 20-30+ against Morkel and Rabada.

Heboric

International Debutant
If South Africa don't want to bat, they should forfeit the innings. This is a joke.

I mean, Bhuvi Shami all got 20-30+ against Morkel and Rabada.
Source ?

According to the press conference I have seen South Africa will bat if given the go ahead by the match referee

Isnt it the sole decision rightly or wrongly of the umpires and match referee

Top Cat

Source ?

According to the press conference I have seen South Africa will bat if given the go ahead by the match referee

Isnt it the sole decision rightly or wrongly of the umpires and match referee
6.4.1 If the on-field umpires decide that it is dangerous or unreasonable for play to continue on the match pitch, they shall stop play immediately advise the match referee
6.4.2 The on-field umpires and the ICC match referee shall then consult with both captains
6.4.3 If the captains agree to continue, play shall resume
6.4.4 If the decision is not to resume play, the on-field umpires together with the ICC match referee shall consider whether the existing pitch can be repaired and the match resumed from the point it was stopped
6.4.5 If the decision is that it can't be repaired, then the match is to be abandoned as a draw

So if both captains are happy to play on, then the match can go on. Question is what will Faf do?