• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Under 19 World Cup 2018

SeamUp

International Coach
What’s very encouraging is that they have two quicks that already bowl at a lively pace and they are just 17. Though the batting looks a bit too weak to take them all the way and they haven’t got that “superstar” bowler(s) which most if not all the winning teams in the past have had.
Yeah we going to need some special run scoring from Breetzke, Pillay and van Tonder because I'm not sure I back the bowling attack to defend under par scores against the better teams like India. Even if Coetzee & Ntini are decent ,I still think they have developing to do. de Klerk will be steady and won't run through a team.

2016 U19 wc Batting line-up that did so bad has actually got a few players who are doing well in pro cricket : L.Smith, K.Verryenne, T.de Zorzi, W.Mulder, R.Moonsamy, D.Galiem (had **** all bowlers bar all-rounders Mulder/Galiem)

2014 u19 WC winning batting line-up a bit mixed : A.Markram, C.Fortuin, J.Smith, G.Oldfield, Y.Valli, B.Dial (had the star bowler in K.Rabada with C.Bosch support)

2012 u19 WC lost in SF but had high expectations : Q.de Kock, C.Bowes, G.Cloete, T. de Bruyn, M.Coetzee, S.Pillay (bowlers were decent in Williams, Dry, Savage, Subrayen)

2010 u19 WC was really weak although D.Hendricks, C.Ackermann and C.Chetty are in pro cricket having middling sort of careers.

2008 u19 WC highly-regarded finalists : P.Malan, JJ Smuts, R.Rossouw, R.Hendricks, J.Vandiar, Y.Vallie (With Parnell the leading wicket-taker - again a star bowler back then)

2006 u19 WC (poor tournament) : R.Levi, C.Kieswetter, D.Elgar (Parnell was young & Alexander had that middling sort of effect)

2004 u19 WC also rather weak : V.Van Jaarsveld, R.van der Merwe, Philander, A.Birch the stand-outs

2002 u19 WC finalists (much better) : S.Cook, H.Amla (D.Jacobs, I.Khan, R.Bailey) with the bat and R.Kleinveldt & R.McLaren with the ball.

2000 U19 WC was ruined by weather & arguably our strongest on paper : A.Puttick, G.Smith, J.Trott, J.Rudolph, J.Myburgh, T.Tsolekile, A.Morkel, J.Botha

SeamUp

International Coach
2016 U19 CWC had a Rivaldo Moonsamy & this one (2018) has a Ronaldo Alimohamed.

Brazilian footballers names in cricket. New generation.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah we going to need some special run scoring from Breetzke, Pillay and van Tonder because I'm not sure I back the bowling attack to defend under par scores against the better teams like India. Even if Coetzee & Ntini are decent ,I still think they have developing to do. de Klerk will be steady and won't run through a team.

2016 U19 wc Batting line-up that did so bad has actually got a few players who are doing well in pro cricket : L.Smith, K.Verryenne, T.de Zorzi, W.Mulder, R.Moonsamy, D.Galiem (had **** all bowlers bar all-rounders Mulder/Galiem)

2014 u19 WC winning batting line-up a bit mixed : A.Markram, C.Fortuin, J.Smith, G.Oldfield, Y.Valli, B.Dial (had the star bowler in K.Rabada with C.Bosch support)

2012 u19 WC lost in SF but had high expectations : Q.de Kock, C.Bowes, G.Cloete, T. de Bruyn, M.Coetzee, S.Pillay (bowlers were decent in Williams, Dry, Savage, Subrayen)

2010 u19 WC was really weak although D.Hendricks, C.Ackermann and C.Chetty are in pro cricket having middling sort of careers.

2008 u19 WC highly-regarded finalists : P.Malan, JJ Smuts, R.Rossouw, R.Hendricks, J.Vandiar, Y.Vallie (With Parnell the leading wicket-taker - again a star bowler back then)

2006 u19 WC (poor tournament) : R.Levi, C.Kieswetter, D.Elgar (Parnell was young & Alexander had that middling sort of effect)

2004 u19 WC also rather weak : V.Van Jaarsveld, R.van der Merwe, Philander, A.Birch the stand-outs

2002 u19 WC finalists (much better) : S.Cook, H.Amla (D.Jacobs, I.Khan, R.Bailey) with the bat and R.Kleinveldt & R.McLaren with the ball.

2000 U19 WC was ruined by weather & arguably our strongest on paper : A.Puttick, G.Smith, J.Trott, J.Rudolph, J.Myburgh, T.Tsolekile, A.Morkel, J.Botha
Abdv didn't play U19 WCs?

SeamUp

International Coach
Abdv didn't play U19 WCs?
His year group (AB, Faf, JP, M.Morkel) fell in-between in 2003 but you right - it is strange how they didn't play up in 2002.

They were all in a big tour to England where we thrashed them. Philander played up with this group.

Firebreaker

Banned
Most of the Ban U19s players have already played FC cricket and their captain averages over 50 in it while they all failed against 2nd XI players of English counties which I guess tell about the standard of their domestic cricket

SeamUp

International Coach
In the end the group is a stroll for England. Group A and D were the tough tough groups.

Must admit I was expecting it to be closer considering the improvement in BGD cricket and especially at this level where they compete big time. Even though this batches results haven't been as impressive.

For England - even though there are 'no stars' - they are no mugs. Very competitive against us & I don't think SA have the worst team either as shown in the tournament.

Has Pennington played for Worcs ?

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Brook looked very nice. Not a big lad but just strikes the ball pure with a full face of the bat. Had a baptism of fire batting at 3 for a struggling Yorkshire in 2017. Initially you'd think they'll slot him back in at 5 or 6 this year and he can move upto 3 or 4 in time.

Euan Woods and Will Jacks both bowled some tidy offspin. Woods has been playing grade cricket in Aus and doing well before his late callup. Both at Surrey although Woods doesn't have a contract afaik. Lot of competition there especially in the young players coming through. Might be worth a call from another county to Woods. Reminiscent of Stokes in some of his strokeplay.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brook looks a bit better than the rest of the side, hope he kicks on from his tough start last summer.

Nice to get an easy qualification out of the way.

Neil Pickup

Another one off the Shropshire treadmill for Worcestershire so he will fit in well down there.
I remember seeing Pennington playing for Shropshire U10 against my Oxfordshire side way back in 2009. He bagged 10 and got three overs at second change and we posted our highest total of the season (still lost, which is what generally happens when you concede 83 extras).At the same time, on the neighbouring pitch, Tom Banton was taking 200 as Herefordshire repeatedly served up leg stump full tosses to a very short boundary. Will Jacks played against us for Surrey that same week (barely got a hit as we weren’t close to good enough to test Surrey), whilst Euan Woods and Tom Scriven, both in Berkshire colours, had hit us around Lambrook a couple of weeks previously...

Firebreaker

Banned
Did the ICC official account become the personal account of Prithvi Shaw? because they keep on posting about his instagram stories I mean who gives a flying **** about his Instagram stories where he's holding animals or whatever

SeamUp

International Coach
For Zimbabwe their two players are Liam Roche & Milton Shumba both played for the Rising Stars. Looked good at the crease and showed they can turn up the tempo. Probably have a bit of work to do though. Roche bowls tidy spin which I think is his stronger suit too.

Wesley Madhevere maybe. Schooled in SA. Time will tell.

Opening bat & wicket-keeper , Greg Dollar, still 17 & along with number 3 bat Dion Myers (who was 15) have time on their side.

Shubman Gill showed signs of his quality with the bat for India vs Australia and now here. Not just Prithvi Shaw here.

QF's set in stone :

India vs Bangladesh
England vs Australia

Winners of New Zealand/South Africa plays Pakistan and the losers play Afghanistan.

morgieb

For Zimbabwe their two players are Liam Roche & Milton Shumba both played for the Rising Stars. Looked good at the crease and showed they can turn up the tempo. Probably have a bit of work to do though. Roche bowls tidy spin which I think is his stronger suit too.

Opening bat & wicket-keeper , Greg Dollar, still 17 & along with number 3 bat Dion Myers (who was 15) have time on their side.

Shubman Gill showed signs of his quality with the bat for India vs Australia and now here. Not just Prithvi Shaw here.

QF's set in stone :

India vs Bangladesh
England vs Australia

Winners of New Zealand/South Africa plays Pakistan and the losers play Afghanistan.
Gill already has centuries in both formats of the game, he has potential definitely. Just that Shaw appears more talented than any Indian batsman that have come through the system in ten years.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Something about Kenya. They were clearly overmatched here, but so was the last team to make this tournament. I would say this Were fella who apparently rocked up for the last nets before team slection, and got drafted into the team as an opener, on the basis that he looked good in the nets, and studies abroad (in Namibia by the way) is looking like one of those come back and bite you in the arrrse selections.

Have not actually seen what he batted like, but from his actual scores, I am not very encouraged

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant

QF's set in stone :

India vs Bangladesh
England vs Australia

Just looking at the Zim U/19 team and their surnames it looks like their XI generally has about eight white guys in it. Doesn't really make you think they're doing very well in spreading the game to 'non-traditional' communities.