• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Under 19 World Cup 2018

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was an excellent knock by Makwetu....

Edit: just saw the obstructing field... wow. Can't imagine the fall out if that happened at international level.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Afghanistan in the process of wrapping things up against SL. Pretty significant sign of the level of talent over there if they're topping their pool (assuming that most of their players are indeed U19's and aren't all like that 26 year old bloke that Daemon linked to).

SeamUp

International Coach
Coetzee hitting 144. Still eligible for the u19 WC in 2 years.

Ntini started decently as well. About 133k max but still has plenty filling out to do.

I think our bowling may lack punch in these conditions. After the above there are 2 spinners, would be surprised if Rolfes isn't medium pace and haven't seen much of Mnyaka but think he will be good for the conditions.

The only other option outside this group is Fraser Jones. Another 17 year-old who supposedly has some good pace. Actually surprised they didn't go with him with the overcast conditions.

Last edited:

Firebreaker

Banned
Not the first time WI have been controversial.These controversial dismissalsjust hurts the spirit of the game aand would make cricket look like a joke infront of non cricket fans

Firebreaker

Banned
Now I understand why ICC don't follow up a age test before this tournament because as someone previously mentioned here they tried in an ACC age group tournament in which all of the teams got except one and then boards sued ACC

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Justice was done with WI losing and it is good they are out of the competition already. Don't need teams who play like it in it.

SeamUp

International Coach
Good win for the Saffers and through to the QF's with hosts NZL but play each other on Saturday in a live broadcast game. Winners don't have to play Afghanistan but rather Sri Lanka/Pakistan. Is that even a good thing I don't know.

Saffer Report Card

Breetzke - A lot has happened in the last few months for him. Needs to relax and back himself like he normally does. 100-maker.
Pillay - Looks in good touch. Lovely driver but his strength could be his weakness as he likes to play on the up. 100-maker.
van Tonder - Captained very well today. Didn't get to see him with the bat obviously as run out for 0 but we know he has grit and strong-hand dominant. 100-maker.
Rolfes - Definitely too high in the batting order. Doesn't look to have much power. His bowling was very accurate and deserved 4-wickets at decentish pace of 132.
Makwetu - Not been in great form with the bat but played almost sub-continental strokes - sweeps, late-cuts, reverse-sweeps, flicks to leg, lovely flick drives with power and then the pure power game.
Niemand - Looked good until run out. Won the final for SA vs Eng recently as a finisher getting 60 not out. Bowls handy off-spin.
Smith - Battled hard with the bat but he really is an off-spinner who didn't bowl and Niemand preferred.
de Klerk - Lovely little spinner. Nice sla action , accurate, can change his pace and gets the odd one to turn.
Coetzee - Really contributing with the bat like he said. Well over 200 SR in both games. Bowls with good pace (144 max today). But with his action the odd ball down leg.
Ntini - Ran in to the wind and did the dirty work. Not his best performance. But nice bits to work on. Runs in hard and extracts good bounce.
Mnyaka - Wasn't spectacular but as left-armer you can see why he gets the odd wickets at this level. But not particularly eye-catching. Mid 120s pace.

Last edited:

Firebreaker

Banned
Good win for the Saffers and through to the QF's with hosts NZL but play each other on Saturday in a live broadcast game. Winners don't have to play Afghanistan but rather Sri Lanka/Pakistan. Is that even a good thing I don't know.

Saffer Report Card

Breetzke - A lot has happened in the last few months for him. Needs to relax and back himself like he normally does. 100-maker.
Pillay - Looks in good touch. Lovely driver but his strength could be his weakness as he likes to play on the up. 100-maker.
van Tonder - Captained very well today. Didn't get to see him with the bat obviously as run out for 0 but we know he has grit and strong-hand dominant. 100-maker.
Rolfes - Definitely too high in the batting order. Doesn't look to have much power. His bowling was very accurate and deserved 4-wickets at decentish pace of 132.
Makwetu - Not been in great form with the bat but played almost sub-continental strokes - sweeps, late-cuts, reverse-sweeps, flicks to leg, lovely flick drives with power and then the pure power game.
Niemand - Looked good until run out. Won the final for SA vs Eng recently as a finisher getting 60 not out. Bowls handy off-spin.
Smith - Battled hard with the bat but he really is an off-spinner who didn't bowl and Niemand preferred.
de Klerk - Lovely little spinner. Nice sla action , accurate, can change his pace and gets the odd one to turn.
Coetzee - Really contributing with the bat like he said. Well over 200 SR in both games. Bowls with good pace (144 max today). But with his action the odd ball down leg.
Ntini - Ran in to the wind and did the dirty work. Not his best performance. But nice bits to work on. Runs in hard and extracts good bounce.
Mnyaka - Wasn't spectacular but as left-armer you can see why he gets the odd wickets at this level. But not particularly eye-catching. Mid 120s pace.
Tbh SA's bowling looks better than India.Could be a good sign for SA (or NZ) in future

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was expecting to be more annoyed at the incident than I was. Don't get me wrong, it's rubbish, but I think it's pretty common sense to not handle the ball when it's in the area around the stumps, even if you have done enough to stop the ball spinning onto the stumps

Bijed

International Regular
At the risk of sounding mean-spirited, kinda glad that WI lost after the obstructing the field thing. Why don't the laws give the umpires some discretion in these sort of cases?

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While I think it was horrible what happened, and not really in the spirit. It is the law. This just shows that the law needs to be altered because that was never the intention of the law but to stop batsmen gaining advantage. In reality that should have become a dead ball in that scenario... (or something like that!).

Heboric

International Debutant

Saffer Report Card

https://www.supersport.com/cricket/u19-world-cup-2018/video/942564

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Ah well, like I mentioned before, this years West Indies intake were clearly not up to the same standard as the previous lot. At least, this lot can really bat but the bowling is awful and just has no pace whereas last time out we had Joseph and Holder both bowling 140kph plus (rather like India this year).

As for the incident, I don't like it at all as the batsman wasn't trying to cheat. At the previous WC we got a lot of flack for the Mankad incident but I had no problem with that because the Zimbabwe batsman was actively cheating by flagrantly leaving his crease to steal a run in a tight situation. But this was just a technicality and the batsman wasn't really doing anything wrong. This doesn't qualify as cricket intelligence IMO it is just nasty and mean spirited. I hope he learns from it or they take the opportunity to alter that rule because it's ludicrous.

For us, I liked the look of Hoyte who was swinging the ball and had a lovely action/seam position. I was told he was quicker than that having been timed at 85mph before but he has a heart problem and just took a break for 6 months, thus lacked pace. Young also looked pretty good, seaming the ball around and clocking 83mph at 17 years of age. I think they have something to work with but they were not ready or developed enough to compete in this tournament against other teams with new ball attacks clocking 85mph plus consistently.

Batting wise Simmons looks a solid bat and should be a good long-version prospect. Kallicharan looked classy but alas we only saw him for a little bit over the two games. Athanaze looked ok but nothing particularly special. Otherwise I didn't see enough of everyone to pass judgement. It will be interesting to see which members of this team progress. Of last years lot Joseph and Hetmeyer are in the test team and Keemo Paul is already performing brilliantly in FC cricket. Keacy Carty is also doing pretty well.

I guess I'll enjoy the rest of this World Cup pressure free :).

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Saffer Report Card

What’s very encouraging is that they have two quicks that already bowl at a lively pace and they are just 17. Though the batting looks a bit too weak to take them all the way and they haven’t got that “superstar” bowler(s) which most if not all the winning teams in the past have had.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
By most promising paceman I presume Cameron Green ?

From the new ball attack in this game it would seem to be the case. Bartlett coming back from a stress fracture only mid-120s. But did hit good areas and will get good bounce.

Suprised Zak Evans not in ahead of Ralston ? Who.looks skiddy at 134-136 but looks like a type of bowler who will slide on nicely with limited lateral movement. He does get through the crease quickly.

Zak Evans is most definitely ahead of Ralston, he should be back for the next game. He ripped through the SL u/19 side with 4 bags of 4 for's prior to christmas.

Those around Victorian grade cricket are saying he's as good as Pattinson at the same age.

Missing Evans and Green has really hurt this Aus side.

I think Edwards looks pretty damm promising for Aus batting wise.

He's the youngest player in the Aus side and heard a few commentators comparing his style to Greg Chappell

At 195cm's he's the same size as Josh Hazlewood and and an opening bat. He's going to be a dominating figure once he fills out, I think we will see him in the BBL and ODD scene pretty soon.

Last edited: