• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand 2017/18

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
You can play Chapman instead of Bruce, push everyone up one.

Nah pretty unlikely to ever get this gutsy and contentious prognostication of the future you want out of Lesson.

"Tom Bruce has the batting average and the 150+ SR over Chapman, but his method is pretty crass and one-dimensional. Cloths it an awful lot, still goes for six. We see it as having limited potential to work beyond our Super Smash."

Something neither of those two will ever say. Certainly not fresh in the wake of Munro polishing up into this great source of export quality NZC pride.

Maybe if Latham keeps underperforming in home ODIs, Lesson will look at Nicholls staying at 6 and getting his keeping gloves back on, after a three-year hiatus. Canterbury did prefer an anonymous club keeper for their 50-over cricket when Nicholls would keep for them in T20s, so perhaps that's not too promising an idea.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I just see another skill set with Chapman in being able to hit more unorthodox than the pure bludgeon approach that Bruce, Phillips and co bring. That's something I'd want in my squad, especially in a 23-year-old over a 34-year-old who somehow has got picked in a form slump.

But hey, you can do that in a team that's winning. Why you'd want to is beyond me, but you can.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Lesson have made it plain over the past 12 months that they wont select Chapman in the T20 Squad. Not selected last year - described as "unlucky". Not selected for the NZ A Tour to India - no reason given. Not selected v the woeful Windies and not selected v Pakistan - described as "unfortunate - needs to shoot the lights out with the ball to be considered". Prevarication and obfuscation. The guy oozes class with the bat and in the field. He puts bums on the Bank at EPOO. Still playing with a smile on his face. Hope he stays in the game.

Unlike some he has a recent T20 half century v Pakistan in his kitbag from his HK days. See https://www.khaleejtimes.com/pakistan-cruise-past-hong-kong

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Nah pretty unlikely to ever get this gutsy and contentious prognostication of the future you want out of Lesson.

"Tom Bruce has the batting average and the 150+ SR over Chapman, but his method is pretty crass and one-dimensional. Cloths it an awful lot, still goes for six. We see it as having limited potential to work beyond our Super Smash."

Something neither of those two will ever say. Certainly not fresh in the wake of Munro polishing up into this great source of export quality NZC pride.
Yeah, I just see another skill set with Chapman in being able to hit more unorthodox than the pure bludgeon approach that Bruce, Phillips and co bring. That's something I'd want in my squad, especially in a 23-year-old over a 34-year-old who somehow has got picked in a form slump.
Yeah Bruce is one player we all wanted picked a while ago, he's finally got the chance (12 months too late) but hasn't grabbed it - and he is going to need to do that urgently before he's eclipsed by Chapman, Philips and maybe Seifert, all of whom probably have it over him in raw talent. Doull (I think) was raving about his bat speed the other day, but I'd say Philips has more and times the ball better, while Chapman far exceeds him in hitting options and Seifert probably does too. I know I'm just repeating the same words as those already posted above, but Bruce does seem a bit one-dimensional for T20s, at least. Bruce still looks like a decent player but maybe ODIs would be a better format for him, maybe even tests.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
You get the feeling the selection committee is always 12-18 months behind the times in selecting new batsmen, though not so much with bowlers (Ferguson for instance, seemed a little ahead of time if anything).

We desperately need a regime change tbh.

Blain

U19 Captain
What is it with Hesson and his bits and bobs players. Chapman being held off by Bruce and Taylor, but they tell him to work on his bowling? WTF, are the media not picking up on this blatantly wrong dribble? Devcich is twice the player of Kitchen, and younger, but doesn't get a sniff. Rance and Wheeler over Tickner is even odd. T20 is Wheeler's worst format.

I also don't think Southee should be a lock in at T20's, but he's had a decent past couple of games.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You get the feeling the selection committee is always 12-18 months behind the times in selecting new batsmen, though not so much with bowlers (Ferguson for instance, seemed a little ahead of time if anything).

Exactly. They always seem to miss the trick & it's depressingly predictable. Larsen's got to get away from this loyaly/honour BS like when he threw in as extra justification for Worker's selection that he's a really nice down to earth chap. I don't want to hear that subjective BS from selectors, I want the best players out there, unless it's an extreme Ryder-like situation.

It's obvious to all that Chapman (early 20s) is a far better T20 option to 32 year old Kitchen, but rather conceding they missed the trick on Chapman, they have this stupid loyalty clause of having to stick with Kitchen and missing the golden opportunity to introduce Chapman into the mix. A guy who is obviously the future and a much more likely prospect for the next T20 WC than Kitchen.

Howsie

International Captain

Yep, no doubt about that.

The Chapman non selection has gone well past a joke, especially considering they want him to bowl more...... I mean what in the actual hell, he might look the most modern looking 20/20 batsman I’ve seen come out of domestic cricket. He’s seriously impressive.

DriveClub

International Regular
There's someone named kitchen? Nzers need to go to school and expand their vocabularies. Not even David Warner would do something so horrific to his children

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's someone named kitchen? Nzers need to go to school and expand their vocabularies. Not even David Warner would do something so horrific to his children
Pfft, Warner's the type who'd name his daughter 'Hollywood', and you know it.

vandem

International 12th Man
...Rance and Wheeler over Tickner is even odd. T20 is Wheeler's worst format.
IMHO Wheeler selection makes sense. Means we have a left armer when Boult is rested, adds variety instead of another RFM. Wheeler has better lower order hitting ability than most other seamer options (excluding Kuggs who is still returning from injury). I suspect that a fit Wheeler is also the preferred cover for Boult in ODIs.

Rance over Tickner makes sense when looking at the last 3 seasons. Tickner's good form over the last month does not (yet) override a useful start to Rance's white ball NZ career.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Yep, no doubt about that.

The Chapman non selection has gone well past a joke, especially considering they want him to bowl more...... I mean what in the actual hell, he might look the most modern looking 20/20 batsman I’ve seen come out of domestic cricket. Hong Kong. He’s seriously impressive.
Fixed