• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test at the MCG

Spark

Global Moderator
I've actually had football in mind the whole time tbf. Genuinely torn about it there too, but there I feel it's a lot more part of the culture of the sport, where as the Barmy Army is definitely an outlier here. Otherwise it's mostly just random abuse "calling Hadlee/KP/Broad a wanker" which we all mostly agree is pretty dead**** behavior.
Also worth noting that a football match is 90+whatever minutes, whereas in a Test it would be all day, and the next day, and the next.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Also, on the topic of ball tampering, what do you all think?

Jimmy and England are not denying he used his fingernail, the excuse is simply that he was trying to flatten a piece of leather. Does that not count as changing the condition of the ball outside of natural bounds? I can name a couple of countries which would have had players banned for less than that.
This should be a nothing thing. All teams do it and the ump did his job setting a limit with a warning. It's the fault of the mcg pitch more than anything else.

Why can't they just have a fingernail rule like in the football, where the ump checks your fingernails are within bounds and then just play the game?

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
If they've spent that much surely you'd think they'd be more appreciative of the cricket on display rather than endlessly chanting garbage at people who are far better at the sport than they could ever hope to be?

I personally would find it a strange use of my money to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars and then spend hours taunting someone about how supposedly **** they are at their profession.
Most of it is in response to the hostile atmosphere that the Australian players and press make themselves. If you are going to target English players and make it uncomfortable for us, don't you have to expect something in return?

You don't get English fans giving abuse to players of SA or India or NZ when they tour there.

I felt sorry for Bird. No cricket in 3 weeks so he was underdone, and bowling on a fairly lifeless wicket. And then Starc opened his big mouth and made Bird a target.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes, constantly posting about how you will smash everyone 5-0 is so much more insightful
Heh, even if that’s all I did it wouldn’t have any bearing on whether the ‘point’ you made was drivel. But let me spell it out for you

The fact trolls are chased out of here does not mean we cannot complain if Test cricket dies. It is absolutely ludicrous to link the two.

Spark

Global Moderator
Most of it is in response to the hostile atmosphere that the Australian players and press make themselves. If you are going to target English players and make it uncomfortable for us, don't you have to expect something in return?

You don't get English fans giving abuse to players of SA or India or NZ when they tour there.

I felt sorry for Bird. No cricket in 3 weeks so he was underdone, and bowling on a fairly lifeless wicket. And then Starc opened his big mouth and made Bird a target.
Ah, I see, so they came up with all those Mitchell Johnson songs back in England purely because they were feeling so besieged about that terrible hostile atmosphere created for the English team. In England. After Cardiff.

Come on, seriously. We can have a serious discussion about this without silly excuses.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Spark, that Bird song was poor just because it was trying to recreate the past.......never works.

But I don't think for a minute it was poor form. Bloke was 0/100 and if Englands 13th man can further get under his skin then more power to them.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

The talk by Lyon and company about ending careers was pretty distasteful as well. Mostly came from the Australian side in the buildup. Don't have a big problem with a few drunk blokes chanting.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heh, even if that’s all I did it wouldn’t have any bearing on whether the ‘point’ you made was drivel. But let me spell it out for you

The fact trolls are chased out of here does not mean we cannot complain if Test cricket dies. It is absolutely ludicrous to link the two.
a.) not a troll (IMO). If someone confirms it was a multi, fair enough
b.) chasing out new fans because they don't use the correct language is not particularly welcoming behaviour, so no, it is perfectly logical

Spark

Global Moderator
b.) chasing out new fans because they don't use the correct language is not particularly welcoming behaviour, so no, it is perfectly logical
Since the anvil-sized hints apparently didn't get through, the poster is English, not American. Not sure if multi yet.

Victor Ian

International Coach
There is no rational reason. It is not a heinous crime, rather it is puerile behaviour. I think the truth is - a silly fallacious truth - that supporters think they are part of the game by putting players off theirs and that it is mob mentality. Many have a few drinks and loosen up and say stuff that wouldn't normally be said in polite company. It's just having fun, but picking on someones work performance by outsiders is not fun.

Spark

Global Moderator
There is no rational reason. It is not a heinous crime, rather it is puerile behaviour. I think the truth is - a silly fallacious truth - that supporters think they are part of the game by putting players off theirs and that it is mob mentality. Many have a few drinks and loosen up and say stuff that wouldn't normally be said in polite company. It's just having fun, but picking on someones work performance by outsiders is not fun.
I'm perfectly willing to accept that I'm just hypersensitive on this. I find individuals yelling stuff to be unremarkable, but am pretty averse to anything that looks like ganging up.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Bollocks. Look the Barmy Army will and do pick their targets......if your not up to it, then perhaps test cricket is not foir you.

Ive heard many a tail from some old guard who tried to give some **** to G Mcgrath......they soon learnt and accept it was not a good plan. 2010/11 they messed up Johnson, the bloke came back strong and had the last laugh in 13/14........all the respect in the world from us.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm perfectly willing to accept that I'm just hypersensitive on this. I find individuals yelling stuff to be unremarkable, but am pretty averse to anything that looks like ganging up.
But you're not. I think it is very few who would act like this in normal life, but somehow out on a sporting field it is OK, because the players are paid a lot to put up with this stuff. No they are not, they are paid a lot to perform. I'm just trying to reason it out myself, because I hate groups picking on individuals. It is weak and dickish.

Spark

Global Moderator
But you're not. I think it is very few who would act like this in normal life, but somehow out on a sporting field it is OK, because the players are paid a lot to put up with this stuff. No they are not, they are paid a lot to perform. I'm just trying to reason it out myself, because I hate groups picking on individuals. It is weak and dickish.
That's kind of what interests me. I get what Adders is saying, and I'm definitely not saying it makes The Barmy Army awful humans or anything like that. I'm just really curious where the mindset comes from.

english lad banter is the absolute worst. ****ing poison.

mitchell johnson admitting it hurt his feelings the second worst.
I remember a few of us thought he should never play for Aus again after saying that. Lucky they don't listen to us hey :ph34r:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
That's kind of what interests me. I get what Adders is saying, and I'm definitely not saying it makes The Barmy Army awful humans or anything like that. I'm just really curious where the mindset comes from.

I remember a few of us thought he should never play for Aus again after saying that. Lucky they don't listen to us hey :ph34r:
haha

the first test thread in 13/14 is one of my favourites on this board. astonishing (and understandable) 180s all round.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The players do not set much of a counter example, case in point Lyon's desire to end the international career of a fellow professional and anything emanating from Warner.

I sometimes think this sport is played by toddlers and watched by toddlers.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I didn’t say anything about perfectly logical so not even sure what you’re talking about