• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test at the MCG

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Johnson was probably the nicest guy to play for Australia........that's not the point.

Can't believe I never noticed before, but you're a bit of a hideous poster aren't you?? Have you ever watched Ashes cricket live?
Can't believe I've never noticed before, but you're English, and thus extremely touchy. Didn't you leave in a huff a week ago because someone else had offended your sensibilities? I have to ask why you decided to come back.

I've never watched the Ashes live, never played cricket at a reasonable level, and barely watch it on TV, which is why I come on this forum to post about it.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, I honestly thought he might have been finished. Hopefully this triggers a run of form for him because we’ve still not adequately replaced Strauss FFS
I know it seems churlish but I'd doubt it. The end of Ponting's career is perhaps instructive; when it all clicks he's so good that he looks like he could play on for years, but most of the time he's lost just a little sharpness tha you need at this level. WOn't know either way for a while though.

Gob

International Coach
I'm sure all those wankers who suddenly get a hissy fit when Starc gets hit for a boundary must be happy now.

Compton

International Debutant
Forgive me for not joining in on the ATG praise of Cook.

Great innings? Absolutely. But he scored arse all when the series was alive.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Who is ATG praising him? I just think many fans of cricket love seeing long time stalwarts give us a reminder of why they played so long.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Yeah but it’s better than him scoring arse all here too

Not rolling over to another 5-0 feels important too tbh

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Will be missing most of tomorrow’s play as I spend the day with the family at Watson’s Bay Boutique Hotel, a Harbourside establishment with access to an adjacent beach which, while not great by Sydney standards, is far superior to anything in either Melbourne or he whole of the UK.
Yeah...well you can tell you’ve never travelled much about the coast of the UK ... I’d beg to differ, there are beautiful beaches all along our east coast, just for starters eh, never mind the Scottish, Welsh and Cornish beaches.. :tongue::whistling

Spark

Global Moderator
His last series was similar as well. 243 and a next highest score of 23.
It's more that he actually hasn't looked completely awful when he's been out there, he just gets out. That's what reminds me of Ponting's decline more than anything else.

Mind you, he could play until he's 40 at the rate England are producing Test standard openers.

Yeah but it’s better than him scoring arse all here too

Not rolling over to another 5-0 feels important too tbh
Hugely underrated, this

ImpatientLime

International Regular

fella deserves it.

he's the only competent top order bat england have and people have been calling for him to retire ffs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's more that he actually hasn't looked completely awful when he's been out there, he just gets out. That's what reminds me of Ponting's decline more than anything else.
It also reminds me of Cook's entire career though. He's always been really vulnerable to good bowling early in his innings, and he's had little troughs of bad form a few times before too -- I didn't think this has visibly looked any different to the other times. Ponting was still scoring shitloads of runs at 32-33, afterall. The only difference here seems to be how people are reading into it, due to his age.

I kind of doubted him a bit after the third Test as well, but more just mentally. I certainly didn't think he was physically finished but I wondered whether he had the mental energy and desire to dig himself out of this bad patch in the way he has before, given he's played so much cricket now and people were starting to dig his grave a bit. I feel he'll probably lose the will to drag himself back from a bad run before he actually loses the physical ability to, tbh, but I've always felt most batsmen could go longer than we tend to think if we didn't so readily declare them finished for form slumps that would've seem all so normal when they were 28, so I guess I would say that.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
What's the record for most dismissals of one batsmen from the same bowler in a series? Moeen's got out to Lyon 6 times now I think?

Spark

Global Moderator
Usually when he's had a bad run though, he's looked utterly hopeless and barely capable of getting to double figures a lot of the time. Not quite the case here though.

I'm not actually disagreeing with your second paragraph, though. It's the mental edge I'm not sure about rather than whether he still has the skill and stamina.

Cow

Banned
England is defo the hardest place in test cricket to open the batting consistently imo. Where else are the pitches and overhead conditions so variable?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah...well you can tell you’ve never travelled much about the coast of the UK ... I’d beg to differ, there are beautiful beaches all along our east coast, just for starters eh, never mind the Scottish, Welsh and Cornish beaches.. :tongue::whistling
Then there are the ones that look amazing on a postcard...and when you turn up they're pebble beaches :-O