• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe are Improving!

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Zimbos need a good 3rd seamer, especially given how much Chatara seems to break down. If they can get one they could be building quite a nice attack.

brockley

International Captain
Eddie Byrom, a 20-year-old opening batsman who recently broke into the Somerset first team, has signed a winter deal with Zimbabwe's new domestic side, Rising Stars. Byrom, who was born in Harare and attended St John's College, one of the top schools in the area, is on a two-year deal with Somerset but is yet to decide his national allegiance.
Cricinfo.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Strong looking Zim team, hopefully they can push RSA. I'll be interested to see if Mire gets going.

The selectors might be phasing out Williams due to his age, hopefully not though.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strong looking Zim team, hopefully they can push RSA. I'll be interested to see if Mire gets going.

The selectors might be phasing out Williams due to his age, hopefully not though.
He's the same age as Taylor and Cremer and younger than Ervine...that seems strange if so.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Does he have an injury, perhaps?

Otherwise I can't think of a reason why he shouldn't be in the squad.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Even if they decided his batting form wasn't good enough to be selected, which would be silly to begin with, he's a better left arm spinner than Chisoro on bowling alone. He took 6/110 in his last Test, then he got injured and replaced by Chisoro who bowled pies on a turning pitch.

I think I'd pick Williams on both batting and bowling alone, that's how bat**** insane his exclusion is. It happens all the time too -- the selectors love dropping him in Tests (and Masakadza in ODIs, for that matter) due to wacky delusions about them having the sort of depth to get away with that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Does he have an injury, perhaps?

Otherwise I can't think of a reason why he shouldn't be in the squad.
From the article:

In the spin department, Zimbabwe will look to captain Cremer, offspinning allrounder Sikandar Raza and left-arm spinner Tendai Chisoro, with neither Williams nor Waller in the mix. The pair was left out owing to "struggles for form" and Burl was included as batting back-up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The good news is that Zimbabwe finally have a medium pacer selected from near-obscurity named Blessing in the squad again. It's been a long time since Mahwire.

SeamUp

International Coach
Even if they decided his batting form wasn't good enough to be selected, which would be silly to begin with, he's a better left arm spinner than Chisoro on bowling alone. He took 6/110 in his last Test, then he got injured and replaced by Chisoro who bowled pies on a turning pitch.

I think I'd pick Williams on both batting and bowling alone, that's how bat**** insane his exclusion is. It happens all the time too -- the selectors love dropping him in Tests (and Masakadza in ODIs, for that matter) due to wacky delusions about them having the sort of depth to get away with that.
Exactly.

I would have Sean Williams in for Chibhabha and Chisoro.

14-man squad more than good enough and can carry a player or 2 for experience. Especially for a one-off test.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Sean Williams is so invaluable and has saved me in a lot of fantasy games. I was actually expecting that he should be the No 1 player selected in the squad. His non-selection is totally unfathomable.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I was expecting to see a run of failures and no wickets in his domestic matches but no..

9 wickets @ 24 and 175 @ 35 since the Test.

SeamUp

International Coach
Even though they got thrashed 4-1 by Afghanistan I wouldn't rule anything out but they really have to show some improvement at home.

Are there many changes they can make ?

Masakadza
Taylor
C.Ervine
Raza
Cremer (c)
Jarvis
Chatara
Blessing

Can they make improvements on Burl, Musakanda, Waller, Mire

Get Sean Williams back at 5/6 ?

I must admit I would consider getting in Ryan Murray and letting him keep. Take off the pressure with the bat and at the same time let Taylor concentrate on his batting.

Maybe consider Mavuta ,C.Mumba and Ngarava as back-up. Vitori, Mpofu and Chisoro just aren't the way forward.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Williams is better than Chisoro on bowling alone IMO (and bowls the same style at that), even before we account for the fact that he has 26 ODI fifties and a ton at what would be the fourth best batting average in the team. Apparently he's a bit of a difficult personality to coach, and he has underachieved despite having a decent record for a Zimbabwean, so sometimes I almost kind of understand him being left out for other players... until I look at who these players end up being. Zimbabwe could afford to 'give Williams a message' from time to time in some of their stronger eras, but they really can't afford that now. I really hope this little period was just being seen as a chance to have a look at some others and give him a kick up the butt rather than a real signal towards the likely squad for the WC qualifiers, because it'd be madness if he didn't play those.

Moor is a potentially not-awful candidate to open IMO. His ODI record is terrible but he's spent so much of it down at 7/8 where he's totally unsuited; I wouldn't be completely against giving him a crack opening where he could bat more classically like he does in the Test middle order. The thing that makes me sceptical is that his domestic 50 overs record is also actually pretty bad, and he's spent a fair bit of that opening too, but it might be worth a go at this stage. I'd certainly prefer him to seeing more Musakanda, but Mire with a license to hit out is probably still the best bet at this stage. I also think Waller at seven is fine if the top/middle order does it's job as he's a pretty good late innings hitter -- the problem has been the fact that Zimbabwe have lost five early wickets a lot of times lately as to change that role, but I don't think there's anyone who really offers more to the side (sadly).

Masakadza
Mire
Taylor
Ervine
Raza
Williams
Waller
Cremer
Jarvis
Chatara
Blessing

I mean it's not terrible but there are only five batsmen in the lineup you'd expect anything better than cameos from, and the whole lineup sucks against spin.