• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka and Pakistan in UAE 2017

Niall

International Coach
So now that we are seeing Sri Lanka comprehensively beating a pretty good Pakistani team in the UAE, can we admit that the India team that shellacked them not long ago is an excellent outfit, as good as any that has ever played in subcontinental conditions. Didn't feel they have got enough credit for the last 20 or so tests.
I think most would admit they are a pretty strong side, they just need that landmark away series win. South Africa and England I think they travel next, obviously tough sides, but its as good as chance they have had for years to win a series in either/both nations.

You'd also need to be an incredibly intelligent man to make a convincing argument for Pakistan beating India in any location also.:ph34r:

Good fightback by Pakistan, but I don't see them winning this test, to reliant on Azhar and Sohail at the moment.

smash84

The Tiger King
Wtf happened in this test match?

Anyhow Pak lost this one by the tea of day 2.

Before misyou it might have been close but the current Indian side >>> this Pak side. It's not close

Himannv

International Coach
Personally I'm always in favour of enforcing the follow on whenever applicable. Batting last on this pitch doesn't sound like fun and I think we have enough of a lead to still win it despite the terrible collapse.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This awful trend of sticking debutants/very inexperienced players/terrible batsmen in at #3 needs to die. England's tried about 300 guys there, Australia loves to stick players struggling for form in there, Bangladesh does it all the time, and now it's Sri Lanka.

Whatever happened to playing your best batsmen at 3? Man up ffs. I blame Tendulkar/Clarke/Chanders for this.

Himannv

International Coach
This awful trend of sticking debutants/very inexperienced players/terrible batsmen in at #3 needs to die. England's tried about 300 guys there, Australia loves to stick players struggling for form in there, Bangladesh does it all the time, and now it's Sri Lanka.

Whatever happened to playing your best batsmen at 3? Man up ffs. I blame Tendulkar/Clarke/Chanders for this.
I think having your best batsmen in the position they are most likely to be successful is the way to go.

Right now I reckon Kusal Mendis should bat at 3 but he isn't exactly an experienced player or anything. This is a fairly inexperienced side anyway so I'm ok with them trying out new things. Sadeera seems like he might turn out to be a good player. We have so many promising young wicketkeeper batsmen these days that we are almost spoilt for choice. All Sanga's fault I suppose, but it's a good problem to have.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
For those with Pay-Tv in Oz, it appears the early end of the SA/Bang match has seen this much more interesting match replace it as there’s live coverage tonight.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
For those with Pay-Tv in Oz, it appears the early end of the SA/Bang match has seen this much more interesting match replace it as there’s live coverage tonight.
Oh awesome! I didn't even think to check that. I knew they actually had the rights because they kept showing delays and highlights, but it didn't click to me that they'd do that.

Thanks (Y)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I think having your best batsmen in the position they are most likely to be successful is the way to go.

Right now I reckon Kusal Mendis should bat at 3 but he isn't exactly an experienced player or anything. This is a fairly inexperienced side anyway so I'm ok with them trying out new things. Sadeera seems like he might turn out to be a good player. We have so many promising young wicketkeeper batsmen these days that we are almost spoilt for choice. All Sanga's fault I suppose, but it's a good problem to have.
Yeah if there's actually a theory around that says you should protect your best batsmen by keeping them away from #3 then that's clearly ridiculous, but at the same time I don't think better/more experienced players should necessarily be batting there either. Players should bat where they're most temperamentally and technically suited, relative to the other players in the lineup and I guess even players outside of it, also taking account workload issues for players who bowl or keep. Samarawickrama has done more opening domestically than he has done batting below #3, and that too while often keeping wicket, so I think him batting three here made perfect sense. If it's a methodological tactic to keep the better players lower then it sucks, but on a case by case basis it's fine IMO.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have always thought teams should be trying to exploit line-up flexibility more than they have in the past. If the pitch is doing a lot and is likely to become easier to bat on, then send your 7 and 8 first, why not. It's not a crazy strategy to try and ensure your best batsmen have the chance to play at the easiest time.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
What is the highest first innings lead taken by team batting first in sub-continent to lose a match? Is it the Laxman-Dravid 2001 Kolkata match? Was the lead more than 220?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good effort from Pak but its game over now. Safraz's head was already on the floor when Dickwella was on strike and he looks completely dejected now.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smashing Yasir and then getting out to Haris is a curious turn of events there for Herath, but this little partnership may have tipped them over the edge.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah, its game over for pak now, there is now way chasing 300+ with a wicket beginning to aid the bowlers on day 4 and 5. Especially with herath on the bowling team

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Sure it's unlikely but it's also fairly remarkable to have any sort of chance given the first innings disparity. I'd take it.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon Pakistan hav a way better shot than you guys are making out. It's obviously still advantage SL, but Pak have the batsmen to pull this off.