• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I did wonder whether Viv Richards had a stand named after him whilst he was playing. Turns out it was a whole stadium, but not until after he'd retired.

I found Wiki's final sentence below especially illuminating.

Sir Vivian Richards Stadium is a stadium in North Sound, Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda. It was built for use in the 2007 Cricket World Cup where it hosted Super 8 matches. The stadium usually caters for 10,000 people, but temporary seating doubled its capacity for the 2007 World Cup. The stadium is named after former West Indies cricket captain Viv Richards.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I agree.........but I'm a sad old git too.

Has there ever been a stand named after a player that's still playing, or is this a first?
Apparently Marcus Trescothick fits the bill, at the County Ground in Taunton.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You need to win the match, don't you? I know you still have four bowlers, but Morris is hit and miss and Rabada isn't firing on all cylinders.
Not like Morkel can be trusted one game to the next either normally. Been much better this series though.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Vern is a big loss but I reckon de Bruyn balances the side much better than Morris.

Good toss to win.

edit: Odds on Enlgand have come in past evens since the news.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Morris is injured apparently.

Seven whites in the team - the Race Purity Council won't like that...

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Morris is injured apparently.

Seven whites in the team - the Race Purity Council won't like that...
It happened when Rabada was banned... I think it is recognized that you cant do any different when injuries happen.

Marius

International Debutant
Yup.

Still a dumb rule though. What happens when Rabada gets a serious injury and is out for a season? Is Andile Phehlukwayo suddenly a Test bowler? Or do we play Zondo in the middle order?

To be honest, right now I'd be more comfortable with the latter.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even when Morkel pitches it up it is still difficult for him to get LBW`s. But some of those outside the line prods, he does tend to get unlucky. Extra bounce normally gets more edges.