• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eng gotten much better at the review system... well done to England.

Some nice fight from Elgar and Bavuma. Else nothing great. But really the bowlers did not do their job in the first innings 350 in those original conditions was to much. And our batsmen were terrible in their first innings. Not a great performance from SA overall.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Good stuff from England. And Mo. Well enjoyed this test. Good batting from Elgar. Looking forward to the final test come Friday.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone expecting anything but a resounding South Africa win next week?

This was nice and all but that's the predictably unpredictable bet.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
South Africa have scored at 3.27 runs an over. Declaring 400 ahead means that, at that run-rate, you have 122 overs to bowl them out. Had the game gone the full distance as it was, England would have had 136 overs to bowl them out.

I personally thought the declaration was a little late, but there really isn't any logical argument to declaring 400 ahead.
I agree on it being a little late but can see the logic in delaying it when they got within half an hour of tea as it removed the 2 bites at the cherry and Root really didn't want a super long final session. At the time they needed to declare in order to get back out before tea I didn't feel there was enough runs on the board so by not declaring then he did need to bat on a further 15-20 minutes.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I agree on it being a little late but can see the logic in delaying it when they got within half an hour of tea as it removed the 2 bites at the cherry and Root really didn't want a super long final session. At the time they needed to declare in order to get back out before tea I didn't feel there was enough runs on the board so by not declaring then he did need to bat on a further 15-20 minutes.
Yeah that's fair enough; I'm not really fussed either way. What I was mainly intending to get at was that declaring as early as S. Kennedy wanted would have resulted in England having less time to bowl South Africa out, so it really would have been illogical.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Mo has 18 wickets so far this series, should get to 20 at Old Trafford but on a pitch that will probably help him I hope he doesn't freeze like he sometimes has when he is expected to take wickets. If he gets a couple it will some effort to get 20 in a 4 match series.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
So Mo has 18 wickets so far this series, should get to 20 at Old Trafford but on a pitch that will probably help him I hope he doesn't freeze like he sometimes has when he is expected to take wickets. If he gets a couple it will some effort to get 20 in a 4 match series.
#2ndchoicespinner

91Jmay

International Coach
There is a lot of talk about four-day Tests. But surely the fifth day pressure means teams have to play to win in the fourth day. Four days would have rescued SA. A fifth day available impacts the game EVEN when it isn't used.
Reckon this is a pretty good take from commentor on 5live.