• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
FMD how can you not realise that stat means nothing to this situation? Dead set clueless.
I do not agree. I do not agree in the slightest. Even if you perceive the archaic date (1902) to render the statistic a virtual anachronism, you inherently know that more recent run chases at the Oval (I do not have a list nearby) would have required less runs than that 1902 match!

PS

End of discussion as it is boring me now. As I said, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, I know that it worked and they actually won the match by throwing India the bait. Maybe that played a part in some of the wickets.

Still feel those tactics should be reserved for when you're behind and trying to square the series, dead rubbers, etc. First game of a 4-match series is not the time and place.

It was the main reason for some of the wickets, definitely. But playing for time can do funny things to modern batsmen too. You saw how it was at Rajkot (was it?) in the first test against England last home season for us. The balance is hard to find but as you said, situation dictates what is the better decision for that instance. Over here Root seems to have done ok.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That was subsequent to the declaration and thus is irrelevant and pertaining to hindsight. The wicket has obviously flattened a great deal and SA have batted well; even if it is a worst case scenario, the wicket suddenly becoming a road, an England bowler breaking down, and the others bowling rubbish, it is still difficult to see them requiring anywhere near the 492 runs (overs withstanding)!
That's not the point, why dangle the carrot in the first place?

If there's enough overs left then you ensure that, barring a miracle, you won't lose.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Scoring some runs but Rabada really should be batting above Maharaj. Seems to have little or no game awareness.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
That's not the point, why dangle the carrot in the first place?

If there's enough overs left then you ensure that, barring a miracle, you won't lose.
Would you regard anything less than 492 as a carrot? I'd personally regard 400 as on the conservative side.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scoring some runs but Rabada really should be batting above Maharaj. Seems to have little or no game awareness.
This is how Maharaj plays... good eye, but likes to be aggressive no matter what. If this was the final session after tea I would be unhappy. At the moment him having fun is alright.

91Jmay

International Coach
Finish them off then now, one to go. Stokes to take it would be nice, he bowled the game breaking spell yesterday.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Hat-trick for Moeen. What a ****ing hero. Always feels a bit rubbish for a match to end on a review but a great moment all the same. Good win that.

91Jmay

International Coach
Haha the beard! I fancied him to play a big role, hat trick (although a weak hat trick) to win game. Nice cheap 4fer as well.

Sets up final test nicely, although can't help feeling it's a literal coin flip.

Bat first win, bat second lose.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Would you regard anything less than 492 as a carrot? I'd personally regard 400 as on the conservative side.
South Africa have scored at 3.27 runs an over. Declaring 400 ahead means that, at that run-rate, you have 122 overs to bowl them out. Had the game gone the full distance as it was, England would have had 136 overs to bowl them out.

I personally thought the declaration was a little late, but there really isn't any logical argument to declaring 400 ahead.