• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Stokes is desperately out of nick right now. I saw him against Worcs, washed-out pink ball silliness, and he was out for a duck and went for 0/81. Wood completely eclipsed him.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He bowled really well last week though, I am not really worried about him but he does need some more runs.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It is weird as I'd have said his batting was stronger in the limited overs, and his bowling stronger in the tests. Marginal mind.

Bijed

International Regular
His ODI batting has come on really well tbf. I don't like him at all as a bowler in that format, though.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
With all the talk about England's team, what about South Africa? Will it be a straight swap - Rabada for Olivier?
Yeah, I'd have thought that the only one injury permitting. Olivier did nothing to prove to me that he should play over Rabada at least. Man, if Steyn were fit and Abbott around, how would they handle it?

StephenZA

For SA it i relatively easy at the moment, Rabada in for Olivier. I can't see any other needed change, unless they wish to go Morris out for de Bruyn, but think that is unlikely. And the very unlikely change of Markram in for Kuhn. If that happened it would be Markram for a long while regardless of numbers, but they will probably give Kuhn at least this series.

SA play Bangladesh in Sept/Oct. Who are SA playing end of the year Dec/Jan? I know its Aus in Feb/March.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Yeah, I'd have thought that the only one injury permitting. Olivier did nothing to prove to me that he should play over Rabada at least. Man, if Steyn were fit and Abbott around, how would they handle it?
I think Steyn, Rabada, Philander would definitely make the team, but whether or not they go with a fourth seamer becomes a tricky question. Playing Abbott or Morkel would create a bit of a long tail, so Morris might get the nod ahead of those two because of his batting. Alternatively they might opt for another batsman, which has been what they were doing up until the last test.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
**** I bet he's devastated about that.

StephenZA

I think Steyn, Rabada, Philander would definitely make the team, but whether or not they go with a fourth seamer becomes a tricky question. Playing Abbott or Morkel would create a bit of a long tail, so Morris might get the nod ahead of those two because of his batting. Alternatively they might opt for another batsman, which has been what they were doing up until the last test.
Yeah... but if Steyn, Philander, Morkel, Rabada could not bowl the opposition out cheaply, then SA did not need a 7th batsmen on such a flat pitch :)

Groundking

International Debutant
At least if we do go back to some order of JYB, Stokes and Moeen at 6/7/8 it means we've got 3 batting spots available for the endless wheel of **** to go through, so there's more chance of finding somebody who gets into the team permanently and makes a spot his own.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Yeah... but if Steyn, Philander, Morkel, Rabada could not bowl the opposition out cheaply, then SA did not need a 7th batsmen on such a flat pitch :)
That's true. I forgot that Duminy's been dropped, so now the seventh batsman is less of a requirement. :)

But that's the poser - do they go for what would be one of the more formidable bowling attacks you're likely to see (and don't forget Maharaj, who is currently averaging under 26) with the goal of knocking the opposition over cheaply or do they go for the extra security of the additional batsman? But that's the sort of selection dilemma that you want to have.

StephenZA

That's true. I forgot that Duminy's been dropped, so now the seventh batsman is less of a requirement. :)

But that's the poser - do they go for what would be one of the more formidable bowling attacks you're likely to see (and don't forget Maharaj, who is currently averaging under 26) with the goal of knocking the opposition over cheaply or do they go for the extra security of the additional batsman? But that's the sort of selection dilemma that you want to have.
In truth we will unlikely ever see that line-up.... I am always a fan of 6 batsmen, wk, 4 best bowlers. With QDK at 4 now, we have a spot at 7/8 for an allrounder which is great for Morris. I would prefer a batting allrounder and hope Smith/Mulder comes good sooner rather than later.

Marius

International Debutant
They can always drop Maharaj for Duminy's offies on a track where the seamers can do most damage.
Maharaj is probably a better batsman than Duminy at the moment.

But, as others have said, re: the SA side, only change I see is Rabada coming in for Olivier.

Wonder how the race averages are looking at the moment, because the last Test we were two short of the quota, and this Test we will probably be one short.