• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Is Broad definitely missing then? Did not think he had been ruled out.
I can't see him playing next week to be honest as he's still taking fitness tests - would be a massive risk to pick him, Wood and Anderson as your 3 main seamers...

Marius

International Debutant
I now have tickets for two days of the Lord's Test match.

:D

However, given that I don't have a visa yet and am supposed to fly on Tuesday I might be watching it on TV anyway.

Marius

International Debutant
Don't think the team for the first Test will be too hard to figure out.

Most likely:
Elgar
Kuhn
Hash
JP (ugh)
Faf/De Bruyn
Bavuma
QDK
Vern
KG
Maharaj
Morkel

Elgar to skip if Faf is with his missus.

Marius

International Debutant
I did not like it actually, it felt like her trying to create a rivalry that does not exist about to guys that happened to grow up together and say hello actually when in the same area.... I did not get the point of the article.
A more interesting article would be looking at the cricket factory KES is at the moment. In recent years they've produced QDK, Smith, Jennings, Cook, Vaughan van Jaarsveld, Neil McKenzie, Adam Bacher, etc.

SeamUp

International Coach
I did not like it actually, it felt like her trying to create a rivalry that does not exist about to guys that happened to grow up together and say hello actually when in the same area.... I did not get the point of the article.
Sure I would have wanted more cricketing detail but she lacks that.

Thought ahead of the series & them possibly facing each other it isn't interesting two young cricketers playing each other from 13 going down different roads.

Also thought Ray Jennings' style of coaching is also what our current SA u19 players are missing. He challenged them like no other. I liked how Keaton said you start to worry when he isn't on your back. Ray Jennings picked up SA u19 cricket from Russell Domingo & it was struggling. The whole system he created I take my hat off to him & it ended in a WC win. Since he has left I don't think we've won a series and we've lost to Namibia and Zimbabwe in the last u19 WC :ph34r:

It's more of a fill in article though but a couple of pieces to it I liked. It wouldn't have been hard work because it is direct quotes. :laugh:

SeamUp

International Coach
A more interesting article would be looking at the cricket factory KES is at the moment. In recent years they've produced QDK, Smith, Jennings, Cook, Vaughan van Jaarsveld, Neil McKenzie, Adam Bacher, etc.
Vilas too.

But interesting piece of news was former KES Old Boy and former SA player Nic Pothas has been given the Sri Lanka coaching position.

SeamUp

International Coach
is kuhn coming with a similar position to cook?

ie being an older player coming to open on the rotation
Kuhn probably more athletic. Fast runner between the wickets and in the field. Will probably join the team as the fittest.

Kuhn can score quite quickly so in a way that could compliment Elgar quite well.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
is kuhn coming with a similar position to cook?

ie being an older player coming to open on the rotation
Yes and no... he has earned it most definitely and is in fantastic form. He could turn into somebody that players until he is 37 I think he has the drive more than Cook. But long term I think most of us have hopes on Markram....

SeamUp

International Coach
I now have tickets for two days of the Lord's Test match.

:D

However, given that I don't have a visa yet and am supposed to fly on Tuesday I might be watching it on TV anyway.
Still want to do the tour of Lord's. You planning on doing it ?

Marius

International Debutant
Still want to do the tour of Lord's. You planning on doing it ?
When I lived in the UK in 2005 and 2006 I did one.

You should do it, it's good.

But watching SA at Lord's is bucket list stuff, so I decided to do it this year.

Can't wait! But, as I say, it all depends on Her Majesty's Government deciding to let an East Rand reprobate like myself into their green and pleasant land. Not looking that good right now.

Marius

International Debutant
Don't think the team for the first Test will be too hard to figure out.

Most likely:
Elgar
Kuhn
Hash
JP (ugh)
Faf/De Bruyn
Bavuma
QDK
Vern
KG
Maharaj
Morkel

Elgar to skip if Faf is with his missus.
SA side vs Lions is basically this side, with Morris in instead of Vern.

Maybe resting him up before the Test series.

But Morris playing shows he's probably ahead of Olivier right now.