• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

SeamUp

International Coach
The problem is how could you leave him out ? Clearly part of the team still or so they hoped and then had to give him a contract even just as a confident boost.

Interestingly only 4 of 16 have played a test in England. Alma, JP, Philander, Morkel

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably. It is for who has been playing. Suppose Phangiso getting makes it obvious.
Is their not also agreements with the franchises? If you have a national contract you do not get a franchise contract? So that could be part of it as well....

SeamUp

International Coach
Is their not also agreements with the franchises? If you have a national contract you do not get a franchise contract? So that could be part of it as well....
CSA Pick who they want to. Then the franchises have to work around it. So picking Phangiso was purely a CSA decision & the odd thing is the selectors aren't even picking him which is the right thing as Bjorn Fortuin is often picked ahead of him as he is a more complete spinner at the Lions.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
CSA Pick who they want to. Then the franchises have to work around it. So picking Phangiso was purely a CSA decision & the odd thing is the selectors aren't even picking him which is the right thing as Bjorn Fortuin is often picked ahead of him as he is a more complete spinner at the Lions.
Yes I understand this but there must be some discussion, the franchises need to work out their finances also and can't just wait to see who CSA pick-up there has to be backroom talk... so I`m just wondering if sometimes there is a unofficial agreements for players to get picked up for a year or two once chosen. Don't get me wrong I am sure there is quota choices as well...

SeamUp

International Coach
Yes I understand this but there must be some discussion, the franchises need to work out their finances also and can't just wait to see who CSA pick-up there has to be backroom talk... so I`m just wondering if sometimes there is a unofficial agreements for players to get picked up for a year or two once chosen. Don't get me wrong I am sure there is quota choices as well...
CSA has been giving franchises money to help with bigger squads due to new quota rules.

SeamUp

International Coach
Poor from you. Everyone knows the official birthday twitter handle is @virendersehwag
Viiiruuuu ! What a champ. Loves to dish out a bit of happy bday. Saw his exchange with Dave Miller the other day. So thoughtful. :laugh:

SeamUp

International Coach
Elgar says the series starts today. Good to see it counts as a proper FC fixture.

“We have to compete,” Elgar said in Worcester on Wednesday.

“We have to compete against a very good England Lions side. To get that competitive edge will be a big thing for us. Naturally the guys will have that instinct in them so we have an important three days, weather permitting.

“We have to crack on tomorrow and hit the ground running,” he added. “In my opinion the series starts tomorrow. It’s going to be vital for us to have three good days of cricket.”

“I’m very excited,” Elgar said of the captaincy. “It has been a dream of mine since I have been a young boy and even if it doesn’t happen at Lord’s it’s still a great opportunity for me to be a senior leader within the group. I’m looking forward to it.

“It’s a good reflection point of view for us,” he said of the last few weeks.

“As mentioned, we have a lot of new faces which is exciting for us. There is a different energy within the test side irrespective of how things have gone in the past. The energy is always in a good place for test cricket, which is what I want for the boys.”