• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The rankings won't reflect it, but have to say India went down slightly in my estimations in spite of winning the series 2-1, since prior to the series starting I was convinced no current side would be that competitive against them at home in anything more than a 3 test series. Meanwhile Australia went up in my estimations.

Same applies to the NZ/SA series...Thought SA were decidedly average in many aspects of their game and were obviously flattered by the 1-0 scoreline, whereas I thought NZ punched above their weight slightly, even though they were at home, remembering SA should still be very well suited to NZ wickets and normally give us a good hiding here.
Well, obviously India won't slip down the rankings after winning a series. But I'm sure they wouldn't have got much ranking points for dropping a Test against Australia and only winning 2-1, and Australia wouldn't have suffered much likewise.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, obviously India won't slip down the rankings after winning a series. But I'm sure they wouldn't have got much ranking points for dropping a Test against Australia and only winning 2-1, and Australia wouldn't have suffered much likewise.
The rankings went up for India for winning 2-1.

I'd say that at the moment Australia's bowling attack shades South Africa's while Steyn is injured and Cummins is not. I've never really rated Morkel (always felt he bowled a bit short). Philander is more conditions-dependent than Hazlewood and Cummins/Starc I rate higher than Rabada at this stage (though Rabada has been very impressive). I don't know much about Maharaj but Lyon is better than the other South African spinners I've seen recently.

There isn't much in it but if Steyn comes back the balance tips in South Africa's favour.

In bouncy conditions it will be interesting to see how India's bowlers go. Particularly Umesh.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
Is it possible for the mods to refresh the polls every month (or every 2/3 months)? Would make the polls more dynamic. Could save previous months results and compare with present.

TheJediBrah

Is it possible for the mods to refresh the polls every month (or every 2/3 months)? Would make the polls more dynamic. Could save previous months results and compare with present.
Does anyone actually care about the polls? It's the discussion that's interesting, not meaningless, inevitably inaccurate polls

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
SA and Ind for me. While Aus have certainly defied pretty much everyones expectations SA have been consistently doing well overseas...their side is also in a slightly evolutionary stage with Steyn, Amla probably moving on soonish?

India probably at the top because of this incredible run and their side just looks really strong - even if Kohli fail it seems. Which is a little scary. While the batting is not as legendary as the Big 4 days, it has the potential to be that in the next 3-5 years. And Yadav looks so good these days. If they can string together some competitive series away from home now, they will certainly be pulling ahead quite significantly I'd think.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say at least 3 off the top of my head If not for quotas. In that universe neither Duminy nor Bavuma make the test side, and IMO Abbott makes their best SA bowling line-up on the back of what he did in Australia, and most certainly would have played in NZ conditions.
While I agree that Abbott would likely be in the side, I tend to think it more likely that he'd replace Morkel than either of Philander or Rabada (the later having a sensational record v NZ prior to this series, and the former being just awesome).

I too was surprised by just how easy it was to open up SA's batting. And it's not like they were subjected to a top quality NZ attack. Colin de Grandhomme was routinely inflicting damage on their top order ffs. They've really got nobody atm besides Faf and de Kock, which is always going to leave them vulnerable to heavy defeats especially when playing in unfamiliar conditions. The same is true for their bowling attack. Again, slow the pitches up and Philander becomes a non-entity, while Rabada still needs time to learn and develop his craft. If they can get Steyn and AB back, I'd rate them number 1. But as is, I'd probably say Australia are better across the board.

Victor Ian

International Coach
The Golden Ratio Better Team

A home win is worth 1
An away win is worth Φ
An away draw is worth φ

testausind
total2.22

That shows Australia were the real winners. This makes perfect sense. Most of the time, the winner is the winner, yet occasionally, the loser is the winner. We all know this - we feel it in our souls. Incidentally, the previous instance of this system awarding the series to the loser was the previous Ashes in England. Two howlers! Two corrections. Proof in itself.

Some of you might like to debate this. Well, you can't. I am using the golden ratio and the golden ratio is natural so there!

It is not difficult to complicate matters, so that's what I went and did. If you award points for the last series, both home and away, as per the above completely natural method, and sum total points you get

Away Points
newzealandaustraliabangladeshindiasrilankapakistansouthafricazimbabweenglandwestindies

Home Points
newzealandaustraliabangladeshindiasrilankapakistansouthafricazimbabweenglandwestindies

Total Points

It's not me saying it. It's Nature saying it. Nature apologises, but Australia are still the best team.

Zinzan

While I agree that Abbott would likely be in the side, I tend to think it more likely that he'd replace Morkel than either of Philander or Rabada (the later having a sensational record v NZ prior to this series, and the former being just awesome).

Assuming Steyn was fit & Abbott didn't piss off overseas due to the quota, my SA 1st choice pace attack would be Steyn, Philander & Abbott, with Rabada assuming they're playing all 4 seamers.

TheJediBrah

Assuming Steyn was fit & Abbott didn't piss off overseas due to the quota, my SA 1st choice pace attack would be Steyn, Philander & Abbott, with Rabada assuming they're playing all 4 seamers.
Rabada over Philander surely? Unless you're playing on a greentop, aka the Philander special

Victor Ian

International Coach
how did zimbabwe get 2.9 away points on their last tour to Pak?
It shows that the toured Pakistan in 1999 and won 1-0 in a three test series, so 1 win(1.618) + 2 draws(1.236) = 2.854

I'm not throwing away history just for the sake of it. You have to play again to erase a past performance. How else can history be?

Zinzan

Rabada over Philander surely? Unless you're playing on a greentop, aka the Philander special
Probably fair comment, think they're pretty close, the bigger point is Steyn and the Abbott we saw in Australia would be my 1st 2 choices if they were fit and available.

TheJediBrah

this myth has been debunked so many times
To prefer Rabada over Philander?

Probably fair comment, think they're pretty close, the bigger point is Steyn and the Abbott we saw in Australia would be my 1st 2 choices if they were fit and available.
They Steyn we saw in Australia was rubbish until he injured himself. Honestly think the Steyn injury may have done SA a favor that series.

Last edited:

Zinzan

They Steyn we saw in Australia was rubbish until he injured himself. Honestly think the Steyn injury may have done SA a favor that series.
Bit premature to say that IMO, especially as he looked like he was back to his very best a month or so earlier against NZ in SA in August/Sept.

Also, it was he who finally broke that partnership just prior to him going off injured.