• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I get that Moz hasn't been bowling as much this year and bowling seam up was a factor but why not Forkers. Not like Mmarsh was adding batting anyway. The way he has been rushed out really makes it look like he will play the next test. So Agar, Uzi and Maxi could have been left at home to play Shield then.

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
BCCI lol withdraws, wasn't this the same mob that threatened to leave a tour of Australia after Singh got suspended for calling Symonds a monkey?

Victor Ian

International Coach
This is just the complaint you make when you have been found out and are still trying to sell your bluff. If only the ICC had the balls to charge the BCCI with bringing the game into disrepute. They are truly shameful.

neonite

Cricket Spectator
What is truly shameful is that chris broad is making statements to competing nations media -
Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Broad, who was the match referee for the second Test said that umpires have no prior indiscretions by the visitors with regards to their DRS usage. He also went on to add that Smith would not face any penalty because umpire Nigel Llong intervened before any indiscretion was actually committed..:wacko:
As per icc rules, he ain't allowed to do that without icc consent.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm all for allowing help from outside the field, providing it is quick. DRS is all about removing howlers. It is not about removing howlers only if your captain is not a dickhead or removing howlers only if the batsman being appealed or the bowler appealing is not a selfish dickhead. Advice from afar helps DRS do what it is meant to do. I find wasted reviews grating, for both teams.

Without allowing this, I can imagine a future where a Mitch Marsh edges out a Maxwell only due to DRS nous. That would suck. (Of course MMarsh has no nous - he is nousless in all facets - was just an example)
Yeah but that's not the rule mate.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Off to Byron Bay for a four day weekend this morning. I look forward to following developments in this thrilling matter from The Farm and the Beach Hotel.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Off to Byron Bay for a four day weekend this morning. I look forward to following developments in this thrilling matter from The Farm and the Beach Hotel.
Enjoy

Have spent a few lazy afternoons at the pub and have heard good things about The Farm

Weather is supposed to be great but as Byron is over the border it could all turn to ****

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can imagine how the conversation went.

BCCI: We're pushing charges against Smith

ICC: We've reviewed the evidence and he won't be found guilty because there's no evidence of intent.

CA: If you put charges up against Smith we'll press charges against Kohli

ICC: There's precedent for punishing players for implying the other side is cheating publicly. He'll likely be found guilty.

BCCI: We withdraw our complaint.

the big bambino

International Captain
I'm actually much more interested in talking about whether it should be legal or not. If it turns out Australia did this then there should be some sort of fine or something because it's against the rules.. but should it be against the rules?

I actually really dislike the fact that players have to pseudo-umpires out on the ground, and that the ability to batsmen to adjudicate their own decisions on balls they've been beaten by and the ability of captains to effectively umpire from slip or mid off or wherever else could actually decide the outcome of the game, and I only put up with it because I think it's the worth the trade-off in greatly reducing the impact bad decisions can have on the game in general. The only reason it's in the players' hands to review at the moment is that if we left it to others it'd just take way too much time in an already slow game.. but if the players/staff back in the pavilion can get some sort of signal out there in the time frame we've already got, I think that should be fine. To me it'd only improve the process and we'd get more decisions right without wasting any more time. That's what we want, no?Obviously this shouldn't really have any bearing on whether or not Smith or CA or whoever ends up punished if evidence of this does actually turn up.. but I think it's a more interesting discussion than that.
If that was historically the case the game would have deprived itself the pleasure of Shane Watson becoming a meme.

imo the players shouldn't have anymore advantage to consider a decision than an umpire. Already they have a brief time to discuss the merits of a decision before reviewing generally not available to an umpire, especially lbw. I've never seen a player stop to discuss a decn if he believes he's got a bad one. They motion the "T" sign straight away. When you want a discussion that's basically an admission you think its pretty close and not the sort of circumstance DRS was implemented to correct. Any close decn to refer is basically a punt so I can't see what value the grandstand can add in the time available that you don't already have by forming your opinion and chatting with your team mate(s).

As for Smith. well I don't think he's a cheat. I just reckon he wants this series so bad and jam it up Kohli that he gave in and did something he shouldn't have. Boy the ump was all over him though wasn't he? Good job from him.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
All the jingoism from bogan and stephen aside, I guess the whole point was what Clarke mentioned. Just the casual way Handscomb and Smith looked up at the dressing room suggests it was definitely not an one off. And its clear to folks not tinted by anti-India and baggy green tinted bias. But as most of the posters have said, proving intent can also become extremely difficult esp. if other incidents do not have enough footage or clarity. The last thing anyone needs right now is ANOTHER BCCI Vs CA controversy and so its good they are letting it rest, finally.

I said it much earlier in the thread. I do not see how someone can make these claims so publicly and not have at least something. At the same time, the whole incident is not such a big issue as to have been have to be labelled under the "cheating" bucket. I do not think the opposition went on this type of tirade against Cronje and Woolmer trying earpieces. Its definitely illegal but as long as its nipped in the bud, I just feel its more of an opportunity lost for Kohli and India to rub it in to the Chump and friends instead of making it a political issue. At the very least, there could have been better sledges in Ranchi but now, its just been sensationalized too much. Much more than it deserves.

And PEWS, looking up at the dressing room, I feel, will only complicate the whole review process simply because it may well lead to a too many cooks scenario. Captain has a hard job getting a consensus on the pitch from his team as it is, and now if you put together the dressing room (and imagine the 100s that England have) its juz gonna be way too many discussions and way too little clarity, I feel.