• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Not like any of this is new. Rewind: Hansie Cronje and Bob Woolmer's earpiece ploy | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo And that was not even illegal yet... but it was against the "spirit" apparently.
That comparison doesn't stand. That was a different era and whatever Woolmer would have provided as input, it could only influence the game so a certain level. DRS can overturn an umpiring decision which can potentially change the outcome of a match. The parameters are totally different here.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I didn't even think it was a particularly threatening piece of gamesmanship. Kohli should've told Smith off on the field and brought it to the umpire's notice if necessary, and left it at that.

What makes me believe Kohli however is the speed with which Smith turned around on seeing Nigel Long approaching. If he was genuinely in the dark over the rule, or had a brainfade as he says, he would've taken a sec to collect himself, maybe sought clarification from Long, held up his hands, just reacted in some fashion. Instead he knew right away that his game was up. He looked sheepish, is what I'm getting at.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Well that obviously happened because Kohli came out guns blazing in the press conference because he is Kohli and the media and Twitter got involved.

But that aside, point still stands. Smith did look up and the 'brain fade' excuse is just not sufficient.
I have no issue with Smith looking up in the heat of the moment once and he also apologized for it. It can be counted as genuine brain fade moment. What I have issue with is if its a preplanned thing that CA and Lehmann all rejected. We dont know if ICC already investigated the footages and found no evidence and also there is a possibility that kohli's observation was a mistake from his part where he genuinely thought Smith and co were taking advantage from upstair but actually it was something else.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That comparison doesn't stand. That was a different era and whatever Woolmer would have provided as input, it could only influence the game so a certain level. DRS can overturn an umpiring decision which can potentially change the outcome of a match. The parameters are totally different here.
I was not trying to equate. My only point was that influence from the dressing room is nothing new. It got castigated then as not right and subsequently made illegal. Difference here is it was already illegal. Era is irrelevant though and amount of influence is not relevant either. If it influences the game in anyway it can change the outcome, big or small.

91Jmay

International Coach
India reviewed one during the Eng/Ind ODI series where I distinctly remember the bat looking at the dressing room. Sounds like a case of projection from Virat "holier than thou" Kohli.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
'Bangalore: The raging controversy over Australia captain Steve Smith checking with his teammates and support staff in the dressing room as to whether he should opt for the Decision Review System (DRS) had its genesis in the dismissal of Mitchell Marsh during Australia's first innings on Sunday.
At the stroke of tea on the second day of the Bangalore Test, the younger Marsh was trapped leg before wicket by Ishant Sharma for a duck in Australia's first innings.

Mitchell Marsh did not review the decision but the Indian support staff noticed that some signals were made from the middle. Team India then decided to keep a close watch on such incidents.'

Last edited:

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
Yeah ok let's blame the guy on a plane home. I watched it and Marsh didn't even look at the dressing room. Straight ahead and accepted the decision.

cnerd123

likes this
8 more days.. The **** are we supposed to do?
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/70449-hong-kong-t20-blitz.html

I reckon Galaxy Gladiators Lantau are out of the running for a spot in the finals. I thought Hung Hom Jaguars were the favourite to win, but Hong Kong Island United looked very good today and in Misbah Ul Haq they have a captain who knows how to win.

Also we should get a sweepstakes going on how many balls will be lost before this tournament ends.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah ok let's blame the guy on a plane home. I watched it and Marsh didn't even look at the dressing room. Straight ahead and accepted the decision.

May want to watch it again!

He trudges straight ahead while looking up presumably in the direction of the dressing room...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
so another Maxwell? :p

TBH, I am surprised they have not called up Henriques. Not only did he do well last time, but he has also had multiple good performances across seasons in the IPL and is well used to this environment. I really think this is a Chappell selection based on "lets get someone the opposition think we will never pick".
Think Henriques has copped it a bit for looking very poor in SL. Very harsh to be honest.

Stoinis selection has GChapp written all over it.
Don't know, unless Chappell has seen the wrong birth certificate - Stoinis is 27.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
8 more days.. The **** are we supposed to do?
I'm actually much more interested in talking about whether it should be legal or not. If it turns out Australia did this then there should be some sort of fine or something because it's against the rules.. but should it be against the rules?

I actually really dislike the fact that players have to pseudo-umpires out on the ground, and that the ability to batsmen to adjudicate their own decisions on balls they've been beaten by and the ability of captains to effectively umpire from slip or mid off or wherever else could actually decide the outcome of the game, and I only put up with it because I think it's the worth the trade-off in greatly reducing the impact bad decisions can have on the game in general. The only reason it's in the players' hands to review at the moment is that if we left it to others it'd just take way too much time in an already slow game.. but if the players/staff back in the pavilion can get some sort of signal out there in the time frame we've already got, I think that should be fine. To me it'd only improve the process and we'd get more decisions right without wasting any more time. That's what we want, no?

Obviously this shouldn't really have any bearing on whether or not Smith or CA or whoever ends up punished if evidence of this does actually turn up.. but I think it's a more interesting discussion than that.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm actually much more interested in talking about whether it should be legal or not. If it turns out Australia did this then there should be some sort of fine or something because it's against the rules.. but should it be against the rules?

I actually really dislike the fact that players have to pseudo-umpires out on the ground, and that the ability to batsmen to adjudicate their own decisions on balls they've been beaten by and the ability of captains to effectively umpire from slip or mid off or wherever else could actually decide the outcome of the game, and I only put up with it because I think it's the worth the trade-off in greatly reducing the impact bad decisions can have on the game in general. The only reason it's in the players' hands to review at the moment is that if we left it to others it'd just take way too much time in an already slow game.. but if the players/staff back in the pavilion can get some sort of signal out there in the time frame we've already got, I think that should be fine. To me it'd only improve the process and we'd get more decisions right without wasting any more time. That's what we want, no?

Obviously this shouldn't really have any bearing on whether or not Smith or CA or whoever ends up punished if evidence of this does actually turn up.. but I think it's a more interesting discussion than that.
It's also one that was discussed earlier. The moment we move on from the lying and cheating aspect of the incident someone pipes up with their take on the saga and the whole thing starts again. Thread has gone to ****.

Thanks obama.

indiaholic

International Captain
As long as the time given to decide on whether to review is extremely short, I am fine with it. Allow giant placards with REVIEW and NO, YOU ENTITLED WANKER to avoid miscommunication

cnerd123

likes this

Do you think Hong Kong Island United are favourites or will Hung Hom Jaguars bounce back strong?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
India reviewed one during the Eng/Ind ODI series where I distinctly remember the bat looking at the dressing room. Sounds like a case of projection from Virat "holier than thou" Kohli.

Lol... I dont think there were any reviewable dismissals of Virat in that England ODI series.