• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW votes- The greatest ODI teams of all time (Australia)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
McGrath, Starc and Lillee.

McDermott & Lee both unlucky. It's a shame Jeff Thomson & Ryan Harris didn't play more ODIs, they had alot to offer in that format.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If we're picking Graeme Pollock then we might as well be picking Bradman in Australia's side.
Why? Pollock was born in the same year as Clive Lloyd who I expect to make the West Indian team. Glen Turner, Greg Chappell and Zaheer Abbas who should all go close to their respective teams are all only 3 or 4 years younger and retired from 1st class and list a cricket before Pollock did.

Anyway, back to the question.

I'd pick Dean Jones and Ricky Ponting (either order) at 3 and 4 with Chappell just missing out.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Pace bowlers

McGrath
Lillee

I would like to pick Bracken as a left armer for variety ahead of the 2 Mitches, but would go with a 3rd right armer in Brett Lee. Lee would also strengthen the tail as Bracken with McGrath and Lillee is a weak tail. If he continues to do well in his career Starc could be the 3rd seamer in future.

So for me

8. Lee
9. .......
10. Lillee
11. McGrath

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath
Lee
Starc

Lillee close, could've easily picked him over Lee or Starc. Think the era he played in makes him difficult to assess.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Isn't this a little backwards? West Indies and England's AT test XI's would be pretty close to Australia's, but in ODIs they're comfortably the best on paper. That top order of Gilchrist-Waugh/Hayden/Watson-Ponting-Jones-Bevan-Symonds/Hussey is more stacked than any combination you can put together from West Indies.

But the Windies bowling is better and Greenidge, Gayle, Lara, Richards, Lloyd is as good a top order as any side's.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Australia's AT team would beat WI's AT XI 6-7 times out of 10, and others even more frequently. They were incredible. 3 consecutive WC's and 28 consecutive WC matches or whatever it was, and a couple of ICC CT's on top of that, doesn't lie. One more point in their favour is that their best team played together for most of their dominant era, and won things together (this is something that goes against Pakistan and SA's AT XIs, lots of great players, but distributed across eras). At their peak, they were able to consistently win everywhere, even in bilateral series in India, SA etc.

I agree with the bolded whole heartedly, but I just dont think they are far and away better than some of the other teams' ATG ODI XIs.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with the bolded whole heartedly, but I just dont think they are far and away better than some of the other teams' ATG ODI XIs.
Agreed, I would even go one step further and say each of the Top 8 ATG ODI teams could beat any other ATG ODI on their day.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
But the Windies bowling is better and Greenidge, Gayle, Lara, Richards, Lloyd is as good a top order as any side's.
The trouble for the WI vs Aus is that they don't have a keeper-batsman to match Gilly, or a spinner to match Warne, while South Africa do in QDK and Tahir. Dujon wouldn't score lots of runs at 7 and a combination of Hooper and Viv (i reckon Gayle would miss to Haynes btw) isn't a great spin attack. Also Hooper, Dujon, Marshall is perhaps the weakest 6-8 of all the top 8'teams.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agreed, I would even go one step further and say each of the Top 8 ATG ODI teams could beat any other ATG ODI on their day.
Yeah, but this doesn't really mean anything. I mean it's ODIs we're talking about. Of course anyone can beat anyone. Guppy can single-handedly beat the Aus ATXI on his day.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Mitchell Starc will open the bowling with Glenn McGrath.

Nathan Bracken will come as 1st change (if I'm not allowed to pick Hazlewood).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The trouble for the WI vs Aus is that they don't have a keeper-batsman to match Gilly, or a spinner to match Warne, while South Africa do in QDK and Tahir. Dujon wouldn't score lots of runs at 7 and a combination of Hooper and Viv (i reckon Gayle would miss to Haynes btw) isn't a great spin attack. Also Hooper, Dujon, Marshall is perhaps the weakest 6-8 of all the top 8'teams.
Apologies for going on a tangent about the Windies now, but they'd need to drop an elite quick bowler and go Hooper 6, Andre Russell 7 (finisher), Dujon 8 + 3 quicks. Then they could compete with Australia

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The bowling really isn't far better if at all. In the shorter format, McGrath Lee and Starc are as good as any of the windies quartet except garner. Not to mention they have Warne too.