• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

srbhkshk

International Captain
I personally rate Amla highly. If he can perform in the 2019 WC, he's in with a good shout.
Yep, he's the best we have had since Tendulkar, his challenge is gonna be exactly what you say because he won't have a long enough career to be someone like a 10k+ scorer.

smash84

The Tiger King
Neither was Gilly, which is the whole point.
Gilly was definitely better than Sehwag though. Probably more consistent as well (cbf looking up the stats for both) at least that's how i remember them.

Another thing that I would take Gilly over Sehwag is that i would back Gilchrist over Sehwag every day of the week when the opposition has a decent bowling attack. If I recall correctly Wasim was asked in the early 00s (when he was still playing) if he ever feared any batsman, and wasim replied "I have never been scared of any batsman but Adam Gilchrist is someone who makes me think really hard." So yeah, he was quality

smash84

The Tiger King
Did things no one else did multiple times. Double hundred, 5 fours in an over at least 2 times that I can remember, Sehwah/Sachin dominating Pak in the 2003 WC, scoring 80 odd in the WC 2003 final against a great attack to name a few. Only thing that keeps him from the top tier is the fact that most of his good knocks came in bilateral games, rather than ICC tournaments.

Sehwag's average in ICC tournaments is 41 surprisingly:

All-round records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

I don't know. Looking at that, I might have been wrong.
What crap. You're definitely wrong. In that 2003 WC match vs Pak Sehwag was and looked utter ****e. It was sachin who really destroyed and dominated pakistan. That's another point in favor of Gilly. He wouldn't **** his pants at the drop of a hat. He could withstand the pressure of the ocassion.

Don't mix up sehwag the test batsman with odi batsman

Shri

Mr. Glass
What crap. You're definitely wrong. In that 2003 WC match vs Pak Sehwag was and looked utter ****e. It was sachin who really destroyed and dominated pakistan. That's another point in favor of Gilly. He wouldn't **** his pants at the drop of a hat. He could withstand the pressure of the ocassion.

Crap? Tone it down.

He got 21 off 14 and dominated Pak bowlers that day. It was a quickie but it still counts.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Crap? Tone it down.

He got 21 off 14 and dominated Pak bowlers that day. It was a quickie but it still counts.
My apologies. I said what crap because I get the feeling that you either missed his batting or have completely forgotten it. With a good Pakistan attack sehwag was never the danger man and he was never really considered a danger man because he wasn't that great.

And what kind of domination is 21 off 14. That's like a typical Shahid Afridi "domination"

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
My apologies. I said what crap because I get the feeling that you either missed his batting or have completely forgotten it. With a good Pakistan attack sehwag was never the danger man and he was never really considered a danger man because he wasn't that great.

And what kind of domination is 21 off 14. That's like a typical Shahid Afridi "domination"
A typical Afridi domination is 6 off 2. Sehwag helped Ind get past 50 in 5 overs in that game, giving them a massive psychological advantage. Those things in a chase are priceless and can't be quantified. Same reason actually why I think he is great with really good ODI batsmen in the line up. He would suck in a weaker team but if his attack comes off, the ones following him would make it count almost every time.

srbhkshk

International Captain

Given that Sehwag scored run an ball 80 in the finals of the same world cup against the Aussies, I don't know how you would claim that Sehwag can't withstand pressure, Sehwag's technique was limited, especially against inswing, but a pant ****ser he was not, not by a long shot.

smash84

The Tiger King
A typical Afridi domination is 6 off 2. Sehwag helped Ind get past 50 in 5 overs in that game, giving them a massive psychological advantage. Those things in a chase are priceless and can't be quantified. Same reason actually why I think he is great with really good ODI batsmen in the line up. He would suck in a weaker team but if his attack comes off, the ones following him would make it count almost every time.
What? He gets brownie points for standing at the other end doing nothing in that WC match? Or for lasting a grand total of 14 deliveries?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Absolutely. Ganguly is massively underrated imo. Up there with Mark Waugh in ODIs AFAIC.

Sehwag is no odi great though, you guys need to drop it.
Nope. He scored a ****ing double hundred and scored 10% faster than any other ODI opener in his time.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I think so far Sehwag defenders have done a good job and his deniers have been 'trust me' poor. I'd like more confirmation Sehwag was crap. On paper his numbers look quite good so I challenge someone to explain how someone is worse than their numbers. If you'd like your thingy to keep, fine get Gilly, but why not Sehwag otherwise? That said, my overiding memory of him is as a very dangerous part time bowler, so if I'm remembering him as a bowler maybe something was missing. Still, how do you get his numbers without being that good?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What? He gets brownie points for standing at the other end doing nothing in that WC match? Or for lasting a grand total of 14 deliveries?
I suspect you switched channels like that mauka guy :p

Sehwag played some cracking shots in that little knock and before getting out he and Tendulkar were looking equally destructive. Remember Shastri commenting that until Sehwag got out it was like bowling to a cannon firing from both ends. Tendulkar went on to score 98 and Sehwag's little knock got overshadowed by the legend.

smash84

The Tiger King
I suspect you switched channels like that mauka guy :p

Sehwag played some cracking shots in that little knock and before getting out he and Tendulkar were looking equally destructive. Remember Shastri commenting that until Sehwag got out it was like bowling to a cannon firing from both ends. Tendulkar went on to score 98 and Sehwag's little knock got overshadowed by the legend.
He also was a little streaky IIRC. Go and check the full highlights (I cbf looking at them again :p)