• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

a spambot

School Boy/Girl Captain
in no order but alphabetical (i think)

Michael Bevan
AB de Villiers
MS Dhoni
Joel Garner
Virat Kohli
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Wasim Akram

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol.. what do you know.. Hooper has comparable stats to Symonds in those numbers and is easily a better bowler and better catcher too.. :laugh:
What are you on about?

If anything the stats show the exact opposite. ie. Symonds is easily a better batter and their bowling stats are comparable

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Many batsmen to add from last 10 years but no bowlers. Not sure what it means for bat and ball balance in our times.

Anyway my list:

1. Viv Richards
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Muttiah Muralitharan
4. Wasim Akram
5. MS Dhoni
6. Michael Bevan
7. Glenn McGrath
8. Virat Kohli
9. AB de Villiers
10. Joel Garner

My relative ranking may vary depending on the day but I don't think I will swap any of them out for anyone for next 2-3 years at least.
Richards
Tendulkar
Garner
Wasim
Muralitharan
Kohli
McGrath
de Villiers
Bevan
Dhoni

Michael Bevan
AB de Villiers
MS Dhoni
Joel Garner
Virat Kohli
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Wasim Akram
Great minds etc.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Michael Bevan
AB de Villiers
MS Dhoni
Joel Garner
Virat Kohli
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Wasim Akram
Jeez it is hard to fault this list. I really want Punter in the list but can't squeeze anyone out from there.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
1. Wasim Akram
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. IVA Richards
4. Muttiah Muralitharan
5. Michael Bevan
6. Joel Garner
7. Alan Donald
8. Ricky Ponting
9. I'm drunk. That awesome Sri Lankan wicket-keeper who got dropped by the Hurricanes.
10. Jono

srbhkshk

International Captain
1. Wasim Akram
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. IVA Richards
4. Muttiah Muralitharan
5. Michael Bevan
6. Joel Garner
7. Alan Donald
8. Ricky Ponting
9. I'm drunk. That awesome Sri Lankan wicket-keeper who got dropped by the Hurricanes.
10. Jono
Selecting Jono over Kohli is a poor call. :D

Zinzan

Lol.. what do you know.. Hooper has comparable stats to Symonds in those numbers and is easily a better bowler and better catcher too.. :laugh:
Lol, only if averaging 3 less with bat & 7 less in SR is comparable. Hooper was a good catcher, but Symonds is one of the top 10 (possibly top 5) ODI fielders of all-time.

91Jmay

International Coach

Michael Bevan
AB de Villiers
MS Dhoni
Joel Garner
Virat Kohli
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Wasim Akram
Yeah this is a great list, earlier lists didn't have enough bowling for my liking but this gets it about correct. Jayasuriya would be fairly close as well, obviously Ponting is number 11.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Having said that, Bevan's batting was better than Dhoni's. He finished as well as Dhoni against better opposition in a time where batting was much harder.
I disagree, no one else has done stuff like this:

Bevan just didn't have the game to do anything like that under pressure.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I disagree, no one else has done stuff like this:

Bevan just didn't have the game to do anything like that under pressure.
That's because Bevan ensured there'd be like 6 to get off the last over. That's why he was so good.

Shri

Mr. Glass
That's because Bevan ensured there'd be like 6 to get off the last over. That's why he was so good.
Yeah, he's an ATG no doubt but he was talking about him having better batting, which is just not true. They were different types of finishers.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Someone on twitter pointed out an interesting statistics about Dhoni that I didn't actually know. Outside of Asia he scored zero ODI hundreds & in fact made zero international hundred any any form of cricket at all outside of Asia, which I almost found unbelievable. He averages 35 out of Asia across all formats.

I think on reflection, he deserves to be in any AT XI played in Asia, but just consolidates my view that Gilchrist is my AT great keeper in general & opener unless it's a specifically played in Asian conditions.

I don't know if Bevan was equally poor away from his comfort zone.

morgieb

Someone on twitter pointed out an interesting statistics about Dhoni that I didn't actually know. Outside of Asia he scored zero ODI hundreds & in fact made zero international hundred any any form of cricket at all outside of Asia, which I almost found unbelievable. He averages 35 out of Asia across all formats.

I think on reflection, he deserves to be in any AT XI played in Asia, but just consolidates my view that Gilchrist is my AT great keeper in general & opener unless it's a specifically played in Asian conditions.

I don't know if Bevan was equally poor away from his comfort zone
Not really. His lowest average in a continent was 49.43. He did have a middling record in New Zealand and a poor one in Sri Lanka but I think that's taking analysis by checklist to a far too big of an extreme.

adub

International Captain

To my mind Dhoni still edges Gilly. The list above looks about ATG team minus an opener. With Viv, Sachin, and Bevan covering the 5th bowler pretty well I'd go with Amla over Jayasuria.

OverratedSanity

Dhoni and bevan don't have many hundreds overall, let alone in particular set of countries. Dhoni has an excellent record in ODIs abroad . Hundreds at no. 6 are pretty rare anyway and purely looking at the number of tons is a poor metric.

Dhoni getting no centuries outside Asia tells us about as much about his batting as Bevan getting one solitary ton in Asia does. It's meaningless.

Last edited: