• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Bevan played in a lineup that had several ATGs batting ahead of him and the team still needed him to rescue them so many times. There is no reason why it'd be different in an all time XI.
Yeah. It's not like ATG XI is going to play against Jharkhand second XI.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bevan's status as a strike rotating, push-prodding, red inking finisher is sad. Look at his FC stats for crying out loud, in an era of highly competitive Australian FC cricket.

Yes his test career wasn't great. It was also very brief.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Bevan's status as a strike rotating, push-prodding, red inking finisher is sad. Look at his FC stats for crying out loud, in an era of highly competitive Australian FC cricket.

Yes his test career wasn't great. It was also very brief.
What's your point?

mr_mister

It was inspired by this remark - "All those guys I just mentioned would finish innings off better than so called finishers because they are better batsman"

And my point is that it's sad that people think this. Because I disagree with the sentiment.

Bevan was a gun batsman

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You don't have to pick your ATG ODI XI teams on hypotheticals... We have seen all these players in action and as I said, there is no reason to play folks out of position coz there are enough ATGs for each role to form an ATG XI for ODIs. Only the allrounder at #7 is about of a toss up.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
ATG XI discussions are boring and done to death many times. Why don't we go back to top 10 players?

stephen

People saying that Bevan was overrated either didn't watch him play or need their heads examined. He won us so many games against great attacks.

There are three contenders for "best finisher ever" in odis. Bevan, Dhoni and Hussey. Hussey was just behind Bevan. Dhoni had keeping as an extra string to his bow which probably makes him a little better than Bevan overall. Having said that, Bevan's batting was better than Dhoni's. He finished as well as Dhoni against better opposition in a time where batting was much harder.

In an all time XI you pick Bevan and Gilchrist or you pick Dhoni and Jayasuria.

smash84

The Tiger King
People saying that Bevan was overrated either didn't watch him play or need their heads examined. He won us so many games against great attacks.

There are three contenders for "best finisher ever" in odis. Bevan, Dhoni and Hussey. Hussey was just behind Bevan. Dhoni had keeping as an extra string to his bow which probably makes him a little better than Bevan overall. Having said that, Bevan's batting was better than Dhoni's. He finished as well as Dhoni against better opposition in a time where batting was much harder.

In an all time XI you pick Bevan and Gilchrist or you pick Dhoni and Jayasuria.
I actually saw quite a bit of Bevan and have seen a fair bit of Dhoni.

I prefer Dhoni because he has that extra gear that Bevan lacked.

stephen

I actually saw quite a bit of Bevan and have seen a fair bit of Dhoni.

I prefer Dhoni because he has that extra gear that Bevan lacked.
Bevan didn't lack an extra gear. He played in a time when 65 SR was standard and he did accelerate when needed. But he played safe and didn't lose his wicket while chasing, ensuring the win.

If you think he lacked an extra gear, just watch his innings for the ROW XI. Phenomenal innings.

Dhoni has come along at a very different time in ODI history. He's never had to face Ambrose or Wasim and Waqar.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It was inspired by this remark - "All those guys I just mentioned would finish innings off better than so called finishers because they are better batsman"

And my point is that it's sad that people think this. Because I disagree with the sentiment.

Bevan was a gun batsman
Be interesting for someone to write a piece on guys who were gun FC players but couldn't translate it to test success. Hick, Bevan, Blewett, Elliott.

smash84

The Tiger King
Bevan didn't lack an extra gear. He played in a time when 65 SR was standard and he did accelerate when needed. But he played safe and didn't lose his wicket while chasing, ensuring the win.

If you think he lacked an extra gear, just watch his innings for the ROW XI. Phenomenal innings.

Dhoni has come along at a very different time in ODI history. He's never had to face Ambrose or Wasim and Waqar.
I actually saw that innings which was pretty good and also saw a lot of him in the annual tri team series that used to be a feature of Australian cricket LO cricket. Bevan had a great knack for finding ones and twos and converting the twos to threes and the ones to twos but he wasn't a great boundary hitter. Dhoni can almost find a boundary at will (most times) when its needed, more longevity too.

I agree with your point regarding Dhoni's lack of facing great attacks, but at least in ODIs he would still have found a fair amount of success if not as much obviously but there's no way to say it with certainty.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Be interesting for someone to write a piece on guys who were gun FC players but couldn't translate it to test success. Hick, Bevan, Blewett, Elliott.
Add Ramps to that list and you've named the players I am most interested in when reading about cricket. I'm fascinated by these guys for some reason

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Exactly. Guys like Bevan get so overrated with this finishing crap. And they have an inflated average due to batting at 6 or 7 and being not out a lot. Working out average simply by dividing runs by innings is a much better way to work out who is a good ODI batsman. Ponting averages 37 doing this, while Bevan averages 35.
Which is pretty extraordinary from Bevan when he spent so much time lower in the order; i.e. less opportunity to make runs.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
It would be interesting to do a stats guru query on number 5 and 6 positions at the time of Bevan.

A good 6 at the time averaged 30, in the 20s was acceptable.

How much more than the next best was he just on averages? 10 or 20?

I'd do it myself but ...... on my phone

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol.. what do you know.. Hooper has comparable stats to Symonds in those numbers and is easily a better bowler and better catcher too.. :laugh: