• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Africa calls for its players to stay

indiaholic

International Captain
What are you on about? Athletes have an extremely short shelf life... Anything that allows them the security to focus on playing is good for them and good for us. Doesn't mean you have to like t20s, I don't, but they have been a great thing.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I cannot think of a single good thing about the IPL. A hideous crass spectacle ran by corrupt politicians and Bollywood - cricket certainly takes a backseat.

What is it with T20 and tack? Why must it always be so tacky? Even the English Blast, which isn't a city franchise, has drunks in hot tubs at the side of the pitch. The IPL has those skanky cheerleaders. The Bash - one of the teams there is dressed in pink haha.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I cannot think of a single good thing about the IPL. A hideous crass spectacle ran by corrupt politicians and Bollywood - cricket certainly takes a backseat.

What is it with T20 and tack? Why must it always be so tacky? Even the English Blast, which isn't a city franchise, has drunks in hot tubs at the side of the pitch. The IPL has those skanky cheerleaders. The Bash - one of the teams there is dressed in pink haha.
I went to barbados to watch the west indies vs england test match. They had a wrestling ring and referee in one of the stands. You could get drunk and dress up as mexican wrestlers and have a match whilst all the crowd were cheering. No one was even watching the cricket. It was great fun.

Niall

International Coach

IPL has its flaws, goes on way to long, but it does have its upsides. It get kids into cricket and its provided a level of financial security that many national sides do not offer. Those are very good things.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, if being a starving cricketer is not having a Lamborghini I'd agree! The IPL and the other plastic leagues have certainly helped players there.
I'm not talking about then Yuvrajs and Sharmas here, I'm talking about guys like Munaf Patel, Pathan brothers, Bhuvi, Yadav, Shami and the list goes on. Have a look at their backgrounds and then tell me the spillover effects that would make cricket more viable at lower levels are useless. It pays domestic cricket bills. Even the purely Ranji players benefit from it.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Go look at the likes of NZ domestic players: Sinclair somewhat famously announced his retirement and was straight into the welfare queue because he had **** all cash and, at 36 years old, next to no employment history. Look at all the old WI players from years ago, living homeless and drug addicted on the streets.

If you're a fringe international or domestic journeyman, once your career is done, you're not set for life. If some of these guys can play 2-3 years of T20, it goes a long way to helping them in the long, long retirement. Hell, at least if you don't make it you're 22 and trying to break into the job market, not 37.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, if being a starving cricketer is not having a Lamborghini I'd agree! The IPL and the other plastic leagues have certainly helped players there.
I think you are getting cricketers muddled up with footballers....

I wonder when CSA try and add that only 1 Kolpak player can play per team and the restraint of trade argument starts ?
I don't think that argument holds :)....

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa could probably implement something similar to the old Cricket Australia rule which banned Australians who were playing as locals overseas from playing in the Shield as overseas players (i.e. when Robson was eligible for both Australia and England but was ruled an English local, he couldn't turn out as an overseas player for NSW).

Then they realised they kinda wanted Robson and held out hope he'd change his mind, so they got rid of that rule:

"A number of Australian-qualified cricketers currently playing in ECB competitions in particular are doing so as a local player, meaning if they play in Australia during the summer they need to do so as an overseas player to retain their ECB eligibility. However, CA's current overseas player definition prevents someone born in Australia, or holding a valid Australian passport, from qualifying to play here as an overseas player."

[...]

Robson, whose mother hails from Nottingham, previously could not be chosen for New South Wales as a domestic player because although he was born in Australia he played county cricket on a British passport.

SeamUp

International Coach
From the PCA

Kolpak signings 'hugely disappointing', feels PCA

David Leatherdale, the Chief Executive of the Professional Cricketers' Association (PCA) in England, has described the recent swathe of Kolpak signings by counties as 'disappointing'. In recent weeks, six high-profile South African players have signed long-term contracts with counties and more are expected to follow suit, opening a debate as to whether this will negatively affect the chances of young English players.

The impact of Britain leaving the European Union, and the uncertainty this will mean for players' future employment opportunities as well as the far better salaries on offer in England - as much as three times the level South African franchises can offer - have led to an increased number of Kolpak signings being announced. Players are wanting to get in while they still can.

"The situation in South Africa is a concern not only for the PCA but for the game as a whole," Leatherdale exclusively told Cricbuzz on Tuesday (January 10). "The combination of South Africa's present selection policy and the fact that South African players are entitled to play here as Kolpak registrations has led to a number of them to secure their futures by signing with counties. Uncertainty over the implications of the 'Brexit' for Kolpak players and those with EU passports have also exacerbated the situation."

"It is hugely disappointing that some counties have felt the need to sign players as Kolpaks or on EU passports instead of developing and producing home-grown players themselves for the future benefit of English cricket."

Sussex, Hampshire, Essex and Derbyshire have all signed South African players on Kolpak contracts this winter and Cricbuzz understands there are at least three more players looking for county deals with one close to being completed.

The worry for the PCA is that an influx of Kolpak players will reduce the opportunities for home-grown players to develop in county cricket. Following the 2008 season, when there were upwards of 60 Kolpak players or EU passport holders playing in the county game, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) introduced incentives for counties to play more England qualified players in order to reduce the attractiveness of Kolpak players.

Those incentives remain but the PCA is concerned that with Brexit looming the number is once again on the rise. "There has been a significant reduction in the number of Kolpak and players with EU passports playing county cricket since the England and Wales Cricket Board introduced Performance Related Fee Payments to incentivise counties to play more home-grown players," said Leatherdale.

"However we are concerned that the number appears to have risen again in recent months and other South African players are being linked with moves to county cricket. It is a situation that gives us cause for concern and one that we will continue to monitor."

Last season, around four per cent of county players were registered as Kolpak players or held EU passports and despite the recent announcements, that number should continue to be comfortably less than 10 per cent of the more than 400 registered professionals in the country.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That's a backwards argument because having the likes of Kyle Abbott in division 1 raises the standard of the competition and should raise the standard of young English batsmen who face him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm not talking about then Yuvrajs and Sharmas here, I'm talking about guys like Munaf Patel, Pathan brothers, Bhuvi, Yadav, Shami and the list goes on. Have a look at their backgrounds and then tell me the spillover effects that would make cricket more viable at lower levels are useless. It pays domestic cricket bills. Even the purely Ranji players benefit from it.
Or look at South Africa. You'd imagine Rabada would get a decent IPL deal which would mean he is less likely to adandon international cricket for a county deal.

It's kind of hilarious that we've got a cricket snob getting all up in arms about T20 cricket and franchise leagues when arguably it's County cricket which is doing the most damage to the international game.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's a backwards argument because having the likes of Kyle Abbott in division 1 raises the standard of the competition and should raise the standard of young English batsmen who face him.
Yes, and I still don't get how it's a huge disadvantage for young English players when you literally have 18 county teams they could be playing for.

Sure it'd be slightly less spots than before but there was way, way, way too many spots in the first place. 180+ First-class cricketers in the 1st XIs each game as it is. That's insane. There's already a whole bunch of players in there who probably aren't first-class standard as a result.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Or look at South Africa. You'd imagine Rabada would get a decent IPL deal which would mean he is less likely to adandon international cricket for a county deal.

It's kind of hilarious that we've got a cricket snob getting all up in arms about T20 cricket and franchise leagues when arguably it's County cricket which is doing the most damage to the international game.
Rather have the guys take ipl deals it safeguards our players from Kolpak and keeps them eligible for international cricket. Likes of morris &miller very unlikely to go Kolpak cause of ipl deals.

Marius

International Debutant
Rather have the guys take ipl deals it safeguards our players from Kolpak and keeps them eligible for international cricket. Likes of morris &miller very unlikely to go Kolpak cause of ipl deals.
Yeah, exactly, Morris and Miller's financial futures are secure so they can take a gamble on playing for SA.

SeamUp

International Coach
Marchant de Lange not signing Kolpak according to Free State Cricket Union.

Still pushing for Proteas spot but also doesn't qualify for Kolpak.

Marius

International Debutant
Marchant de Lange not signing Kolpak according to Free State Cricket Union.

Still pushing for Proteas spot but also doesn't qualify for Kolpak.
Why doesn't he qualify? Hasn't played enough for the Proteas?