• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2016/17

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stanlake in the ODI squad, must really view him as a Hazlewood-like prospect.

Thank god Usman got selected though. May Finch never return
Thank god they finally seem to realise that Khawaja >>> Finch at 50 over cricket.

Perfect time to select Lynn too. Yes his OD record isn't amazing, but he's in ridiculous form in T20, and I feel like he would handle ODI's well. Bailey is fine but unlikely to be there by 2019, now's a decent time to look at other options.

As for Stanlake, a lot of our other options (Hastings, Paris, etc) are injured and outside of the Big 4 he has more potential than anyone in Australia as an international bowler, IMO. I like the logic tbh.
Wow such good news. Uzzie not playing behind Finch & Bailey this year has been dumb.

Lynn should have been a Stanlake a great selection too IMO. Same with Lynn. He's hardly played 50-over cricket in the last few years IIRC (out injured) so his record irrelevant for me.

This is pretty much the exact squad I would have wanted. Which has almost never happened before.

Last edited:

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Really happy with that squad, and the selectors for being prepared to drop Finch and Bailey for better players. They deserved the NZ series on the back of incumbency, past performances etc. but it's the right time to get Khawaja and Lynn in.

adub

International Captain
Nice to see Stanlake get a go up a level. Looks a really good project player. What's not to like about giants that can send em down at 150 clicks?

Hope he's right for the back end of the Shield and put some good red ball performances in.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Supporting a young team, instead of a Dad's army, really is such a lovely change. And I give the selectors no credit for taking this long to get their act together. My favourite moment of this summer was all of Renshaw's massive 20 yo grins to be playing test cricket. Of course until we start to stop embarrassing ourselves on the road it's slightly meaningless. Looking at you Warner.

Spark

Global Moderator
Actually I was gonna say he's getting the picked as a teen with limited experience but more on a hunch treatment like Hazlewood, but I had no idea Billy was already 22.

Now I hate the selection, too old.
Haze wasn't a hunch tbf, it was pretty commonly and strongly thought after his U19 WC performance that he'd be a Test bowler for Australia soon enough.

Debris

International 12th Man
Haze wasn't a hunch tbf, it was pretty commonly and strongly thought after his U19 WC performance that he'd be a Test bowler for Australia soon enough.
I can remember watching that WC and thinking I was watching Australia's next great bowler. Then again, I can also remember watching Mitchell Marsh and thinking that there is Australia's next great batsman. Oh well, he still has time.

Spikey

remember when they picked john hastings instead of him that one time

haze had the hype right from when he debuted at 17 for nsw

adub

International Captain
Haze had a baggy green put aside for him when he was 17. Always going to be top shelf.

My faith was tested for a few years when he was just serviceable for NSW, but once he got that first 5-fer he just took off. Only going to get better.

Don't know anything about Stanlake's age record, but damn if he looks a prospect and if he can come on in the next two years he could be anything.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haze had a baggy green put aside for him when he was 17. Always going to be top shelf.

My faith was tested for a few years when he was just serviceable for NSW, but once he got that first 5-fer he just took off. Only going to get better.

Don't know anything about Stanlake's age record, but damn if he looks a prospect and if he can come on in the next two years he could be anything.
My son plays cricket with the son of a former test player who has helped Stanlake a bit.

He tells me that he is an absolute jet with the ability to cause real havoc at international level

As Billy has just come back from injury, his biggest fear was that the selectors would take one look at him and pick him for something before he had many overs under his belt & break him again

I take a different view and believe you should pick fast bowlers when they are bowling quick - if he breaks, he breaks

ImpatientLime

International Regular
this entire o'keefe man love is driven by the 'anyone but gaz' movement.

as soon as o'keefe is shown to be no upgrade they'll move onto some other fella.

morgieb

Series ratings:

Warner 9 - did some OK things at Brisbane without scoring many runs, and in Melbourne and Sydney he finally clicked. People would not forget his Sydney innings in a hurry.
Renshaw 8 - great century at Sydney. Looks to have some real game, and the heart to be a gun Test player.
Khawaja 6 - was OK but seemed a bit lazy at times and too many of his scores of significance were downhill skiing. But he did manage a score when it was the most needed - at Melbourne.
Smith 9 - two big centuries in the first two Tests, and that was the series. Was a bit quieter in Sydney, but given how many runs the top three scored, was not really needed to do that much.
Handscomb 9.5 - terrific. Managed runs everywhere, scoring 50+ in all of the first innings, something even Warner and Smith couldn't claim. Terrific stuff.
Maddinson 1 - it was clear based on his Shield record that he wasn't good enough to get picked, and so it proved. The gamble didn't work.
Wade 2 - rubbish with the bat, and still inadequate with the gloves. Simply isn't good enough, and no matter how many times he shrieks "NICE GARRY" that shouldn't be enough to keep his spot in the side.
Starc 6 - a bit off-colour, but did at least bowl his best spells/balls when Australia really needed them. Also managed some heavy blows with the bat.
Lyon 4.5 - bad early on, but got better and played a huge role in pulling off the heist in Melbourne. Would want to forget his second innings efforts at Brisbane and first innings efforts at Melboure in a hurry though.
Hazlewood 9 - immense. Apart from late in the Brisbane Test never looked like bowling badly. An economy rate of under 2 is immense, especially given he made the batsmen play a lot - he could well bowl worse and have 20+ wickets for the series. Only loses points because he didn't manage a 5-fer.
Bird 8 - was for the most part very good, consistently hitting the seam and looking like a threat. Didn't play Sydney, but managed a good contribution in the field as a substitute fielder anyway.
Cartwright 3 - didn't do a hell lot in his only Test. Showed some nice signs with the bat but was rarely needed with the ball and doesn't look good enough with it.
O'Keefe 7 - outbowled Lyon, and while not looking like much kept it tight and was rewarded with wickets. Will be important in India.

Sami 2 - I'll give him a bit of credit; he at least managed to bat some time. No real scores of substance, but was possibly a bit unlucky to get dropped for Sharjeel.
Azhar 9 - great stuff. Easily looked Pakistan's most comfortable bat here, and managed a great double in Melbourne. If he hadn't gotten run out at Sydney he might have made a big score there, too.
Babar 1 - played a few decent shots, but never once made a score worth anything. Test cricket perhaps isn't as easy as it looks...
Younis 7 - one great innings, and a few decent starts. Seemed to lose his wicket at the worst possible time for Pakistan, though.
Misbah 1 - horror series from him, never really looked comfortable before the last innings of the Sydney Test, and always seemed to throw away his innings with some offensive shots. Captaincy was poor, too. If this (as I suspect) is his last series though Pakistan and world cricket will lose a lot.
Shafiq 7 - see Younis, but was more quiet outside of his ton at Brisbane. That ton however nearly saw Pakistan pull off an amazing heist.
Sarfraz 6 - middling. Managed a strong average but too many of his runs came when the pressure was way off, during the middle of collapses. When he did get a chance to mold a strong total he failed. Also wasn't too flash with the gloves, though didn't make that many glaring errors.
Amir 5 - I'll say this much about him - he at least looked like he was trying. Was Pakistan's most consistent bowler and could easily have had a much better series with the ball than what he did. Also managed some fight with the bat at Brisbane and Melbourne.
Wahab 5.5 - the most wickets for Pakistan. Was still expensive but at least looked like a threat when he got it right, which probably can't be said for the rest of the attack.
Yasir 2 - probably Pakistan's biggest disappointment. Yes Misbah's treatment of him let him down a bit, but was bowling much too short and was not looking like a threat even despite that. Frankly, he probably added more with the bat than the ball.
Rahat 2 - terrible in the first innings at Brisbane, a little better in the second. Not good enough, though.
Sohail 3 - all for the batting, tbh, where he did manage a successful slog which should've meant that Pakistan did not lose at Melbourne. Managed to take 3 wickets, which is a textbook example of not looking at a scorecard to judge how someone bowled.
Sharjeel 3 - a failure in the first innings, an aggressive start in the second that meant nothing. Typical Sharjeel. Will probably get further opportunities but I don't think he's Test standard.
Imran 2.5 - wasn't awful, but didn't look Test standard in his only Test. Hilariously incompetent with the bat too, been too long since we've seen a real #11.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I wasn't that impressed with O' Keefe to be honest. No turn or anything. Just throws pies at the wicket. I hope you select him in your Ashes team.

adub

International Captain
That's the thing about SOK though. He never looks impressive. He never looks like he's going to tear you apart.

He just keeps putting it up there around off stump inviting guys to play for the spin that isn't there.

Been that way since 2010. But hey maybe the guy who's consistently averaged under 25 in a country where finger spinners are usually doing really really well to be averaging 35 (Lyon averages 41.3 in the Shield) isn't the one who's got no idea and maybe it's his critics that need a rethink?