• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Africa calls for its players to stay

Heboric

International Debutant
Tristan Holme ‏@tristanholme 2m2 minutes ago

Tristan Holme ‏@tristanholme 51s51 seconds ago
Meanwhile, Rilee Rossouw confirms via a statement that he has also signed a three-year deal with Hampshire.

Come on England , hurry up and get the f out of Europe

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Rob Houwing ‏@RobHouwing 2m2 minutes ago
Abbott says 'at peace' with CWC 2015 events. Says CSA and Proteas in better space now.

lungani zama ‏@whamzam17 1m1 minute ago
Abbott: "I don't want to be regretting this in 12 months, and I'm 30, everyone is fit and I'm wearing a bib."

Rob Houwing ‏@RobHouwing 7m7 minutes ago
'There's always been quotas and targets. Won't use them as excuse', says Abbott. I don't feel let down. I can't be bitter.

Last one very diplomatic when not having to deal with it anymore.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Hampshire Sign Kyle Abbott and Rilee Rossouw
Hampshire Cricket are delighted to announce the signing of South-African duo Kyle Abbott and Rilee Rossouw

Hampshire Cricket are delighted to announce the signing of South-African duo Kyle Abbott and Rilee Rossouw.

Abbott, who returns to the Ageas Bowl following a successful spell with the club in 2014, has signed a four-year deal with the club under the so-called Kolpak registration process.

Fellow countryman and top-order batsman Rossouw has also committed his long-term future to Hampshire, having signed a three-year contract, again as a Kolpak registered player.

29-year-old seamer, Abbot, made a positive impression during his time with Hampshire two years ago, claiming 36 first-class wickets at an average of just 20.33 during his season-long stay.

The right-armer has also featured prominently for South Africa on the International stage since making his debut in 2013, taking 99 wickets in just 59 matches across all formats, including outstanding figures of 6-77 against Australia in November 2016.

Rossouw has also impressed at International level since making his debut in 2014, representing South Africa in 51 limited-overs fixtures.

The left-hander has totalled more than 1500 runs during that time, including an outstanding innings of 122 in his last International appearance in October – a knock which helped guide his side to an ODI series whitewash over Australia.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently both Dane Piedt and Dane Vilas want to go but they haven't got any takers yet. Piedt would be a good signing for most counties but I can't see much value in Vilas.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is a great big irony that this thread exists because of an article by Moonda saying how Abbott and RR stayed and got their opportunities.... showing a good example to others!

SeamUp

International Coach
Apparently both Dane Piedt and Dane Vilas want to go but they haven't got any takers yet. Piedt would be a good signing for most counties but I can't see much value in Vilas.
Also read that.

I like Vilas as at his best he is dynamic with the bat but English County cricket is riddled with keepers.

SeamUp

International Coach
There is a great big irony that this thread exists because of an article by Moonda saying how Abbott and RR stayed and got their opportunities.... showing a good example to others!
EWN Sport ‏@EWNsport 1m1 minute ago
#Kolpak Lorgat confirms they have terminated his contract with Kyle Abbott and says Rilee Rossouw's is still being negotiated.

The prick Lorgat saying there is no return on their investment especially looking after Rossouw with his injuries.

Loyalty has been ruined by CSA when in 12 months time he can't make the team for certain reasons or pushed quicker than most when not in the best form.

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Really is brutal for SA cricket. Brexit really seems to have forced the issue, given the rush of players right now leaving. I'd expected a more drip drip feed given SA's issues but obviously brexit has forced the issue with both the players and the english counties.

I can just see what is going to happen in the summer. England will lose to SA and it will be particularly embarrassing for us given we've got SA B playing in county cricket at the same time.

SeamUp

International Coach
Neil Manthorp ‏@NeilManthorp 1m1 minute ago
"We are considering how many Kolpak players to allow in our domestic cricket." Lorgat

What a tool. Lets make our domestic cricket even weaker.

EWN Sport ‏@EWNsport 57s58 seconds ago
#Kolpak Lorgat says keeping players in SA will be done not just with cash, cash and more cash by other measures.

What does he even mean ?

Last edited:

Gnske

At least Abbott can go with the pleasure of having destroyed Australia. Will be really frustrated if Rilee's deal does (at it seems it will) come through, was very likely on the very cusp of the call he was waiting for.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
RR really bad news.... hopefully no county throwing money at Theunis.
Wasn't it previously with Kolpak you had to have some international experience to be eligible, hence why the likes of Colin Ackermann went the Dutchman route?

StephenZA

The truth is this has been happening in SA rugby for awhile and this is without even a real attempt by the SA franchises to keep up with quota rules. If SARU/SA rugby franchises cannot compete with the European clubs then CSA has no chance with the English counties if they really start throwing money around. Quotas just become the cherry on the top.

SeamUp

International Coach
Dane Piedt was fit and well but didn't play for the SA invitational side and was replaced by George Linde.

Had CSA got wind of something ?

StephenZA

Wasn't it previously with Kolpak you had to have some international experience to be eligible, hence why the likes of Colin Ackermann went the Dutchman route?
Not to sure of all the rules regarding Kolpak... this could be true.

SeamUp

International Coach
That's right.

I see Leicestershire signed Dieter Klein with his German passport. Roloef Dutch. Colin Ackermann Dutch.

But I suppose the majority of South African's playing in County Cricket use their UK passports.

SeamUp

International Coach
lungani zama ‏@whamzam17 13m13 minutes ago
#Kolpaks Lorgat: "The sooner we move on from those two being unavailable for South Africa, the better".

Six Sotyelelwa
‏@The_Sports_Jock
DOMINGO: Haven't heard from Rilee since ODI series vs Australia, he's even spelt my name wrong. I'm very disappointed in his decision

lungani zama ‏@whamzam17 2m2 minutes ago
#Kolpaks Domingo firing severe shots at Rossouw. "5 noughts...if that was a player of colour, everyone says transformation!" Very let down.

lungani zama ‏@whamzam17 19s20 seconds ago
#Kolpaks Domingo fuming. "Players must realise that it's not all just about them. We were picking people who knew they were on way out."

Heboric

International Debutant
I like what Faf had to say, good for him not going the syrupy polictically correct way

It's a red flag," he said. "We have to address it. As the Proteas and as CSA, we need to make sure it doesn't happen. It is always going to be a challenge. The foreign currency is something that will always be there. It's too important and too valuable to say that whatever happens, happens and there will be players to fill the gap. That's not good enough.

"Opportunity, money, transformation. There are a lot of factors guys will look at as their excuse or as their reason. What Kyle's is, I am not sure. Every single reason is a concern. He is someone who has not been sure for a period of time. He wants security."

On the reasons for Abbott not being given the final Test, du Plessis said: "I want him playing for South Africa. He is not going to be part of our team so if he is not going to be part of our team, its time to move on. I respect his decision but I don't agree with it."

"Six months ago, I could have understood it more. Sitting here today, I don't understand it as well. I am extremely surprised. I care so much about him that I want him to play for South Africa, I want him to do well and perform on the biggest stage on the world because I think he is an amazing cricketer and that's the place to be. I am disappointed for those reasons.
Kyle Abbott's SA career ends after talks with Cricket South Africa break down | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
I wouldn't blame Vilas if he goes Kolpak either. He'll never be a regular for SA as long as QDK is around and Mangaliso Mosehle is probably going to be picked if something happens to Quinny.