• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Africa calls for its players to stay

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why does it automatically rule him out of being considered for selection by RSA?

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
The South African government talked up quotas or transformation,as their is apparently elections coming up.
Really the South African Board have to own this problem,their silence is deafening.
CSA is doing a lot of work to address the issue - quotas are a small piece in the transformation process. I'd suggest you look into all the initiatives and programs bring run if you are interested in the issue. It is quite interesting.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
CSA is doing a lot of work to address the issue - quotas are a small piece in the transformation process. I'd suggest you look into all the initiatives and programs bring run if you are interested in the issue. It is quite interesting.
Post some links?

Marius

International Debutant
Simon harder, Stian van zyl and hard us viljoen are also gone.
And Dane Piedt.

But the Piedt example shows this isn't necessarily anything to do with transformation. It's guys trying to secure their futures, instead of being on the fringes of the national side. According to the Cricinfo article on Abbott, he could get 100 000 pounds a season playing for Hampshire, that's about R1.6-million - that's a tidy sum.

Not sure what he gets being contracted to CSA but can't be more than that.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
And Dane Piedt.

But the Piedt example shows this isn't necessarily anything to do with transformation. It's guys trying to secure their futures, instead of being on the fringes of the national side. According to the Cricinfo article on Abbott, he could get 100 000 pounds a season playing for Hampshire, that's about R1.6-million - that's a tidy sum.

Money is definitely a big factor. As well as how CSA handles some players, Piedt really just got cast aside.

SeamUp

International Coach
So basically half of SA A could be defecting.

Far out.
Thats scary! For Kolpak? or just as a foreign player stint like Philander etc....
Yeah pretty much looking like that but not definite whether Kolpak or overseas but with George Bailey already overseas player I reckon I know which one it is.

Hampshire leaking this info is clearly them trying to force hands I reckon.

No successful cricketing system can live like this.

van Zyl, Rossouw, Ingram, Ackermann, Harmer, Viljoen, Abbott all not available for selection potentially.

Rusty Theron retired early.

Rudolph, McLaren, van der Merwe may have had their days with the Proteas but the domestic scene shouldn't lose their experience and knowledge.

Obviously there are other smaller examples with older players and SA u19s.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
And Dane Piedt.

Exactly.

Everything about our cricketing system lends to uncertainty if you not in the 'top top bracket'.

All systems need to have the different levels to deal with age/injury/form to filter into the next level.

Last edited:

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Really felt like Roelof was maturing as a batsman before he left. He has had ano extremely disappointing career for Holland so far.

Marius

International Debutant
Tony Irish was on the radio yesterday speaking to Neil Manthorp and he said the Kolpak thing was a big concern. He also said that in his opinion there are two solutions. SA needs a T20 comp that rivals the Big Bash and the pay our cricketers get has to rival what they'll get playing overseas.

I agree I think, and I think we need at least two more franchises.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Sadly professional people leaving is not limited to cricket, people in all sectors of society are fleeing (sportsmen, entrepreneurs, engineers, etc), so I am not sure it is a something CSA can really do anything about.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
To qualify for Kolpak you have to commit to to not play for SA for the time of your contract, I believe.
I don't think that's automatically the case. The counties will just insist on it as a way of protecting their investment, Hampshire wouldn't be terribly impresed with losing Abbott for half the summer with Champions Trophy and the England-South Africa Test series.