• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What have they actually done to justify your ranking of them? Defeated home by SA, a team England beat away. Defeated by Sri Lanka. Just got over the line against Pakistan recently. Dodgy team selection. Dodgy spinner. Dodgy captaincy.

At a very minimum they're equal with England.
Mate, to be honest I think some of my reasoning is slightly irrational in that I'm looking past pure results and looking at the teams & more importantly wider squads. When I look at Australian bowlers of the class of Starc, Hazel, Bird, with guys like Cummins & Pattinson & a couple of others on the sidelines, I'm in awe. Anderson & Broad have been very good bowlers and I'm pleased to see they've finally both got their averages under 30s now (29 each IIRC) after so many years north of that in spite of playing home tests where they do, but they can't have long to go and the only other pace bowler that impresses me much for England is Woakes.

Batting wise, with Warner, Khawaja, Smith, Renshaw & Handscomb set to be around for a very long time, they are looking good. I'm similarly excited from what I see with SA & their squads.

I just don't see quite the same talent from England or Pakistan currently, that's not to say they don't have some exciting players, but overall not as many for me.

TheJediBrah

No mate, you're not getting away with it that easy.

So I'm a dumbass.....humour me, how do you explain how Asia is a small part of the cricketing world?
Geographically, which I thought I made pretty clear in my first post

You need to temper some of that condescension when anyone disagrees with you bro, because it can make you look a little more foolish when one of your arguments blows up in your face. Unless you were specifically meaning there's Asia and the rest of the world which perhaps you should have made clearer, then Adders' response to you reads as perfectly reasonable.
Love that you're the person to say this haha

concerning that second bolded part not really sure how I could have made it much clearer

OverratedSanity

How was it snide any anyway whatsoever? I couldn't have been more straight up, than saying it's all well & good to critique others, but it's useful to actually state your alternative. When you don't you look like a dick for sitting on the fence & there's nothing more tiresome than people who disagree but don't state their own position.
Don't know why not stating an alternative makes me a dick but it's irrelevant, I've been defending pakistan's record for months now and i said this right after the post you quoted

Pakistan have not sucked more. The only series they've lost recently is the one in NZ.
Again, a little less snark please. Every other post of yours has a bit where you come off as an annoying prat.

TheJediBrah

I don't understand why you people take a guy who took a protractor to his tv screen to decide if a bowler chucks seriously.
Can you settle this for me, because I've been wondering for a while now.

Did you actually think that I was serious when I went with the protractor thing? For most of the time I've been assuming you're in on the joke but I have found myself wondering whether you genuinely could just be dense enough to think that someone literally went up to to a tv screen and pushed a protractor against it.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Can you settle this for me, because I've been wondering for a while now.

Did you actually think that I was serious when I went with the protractor thing? For most of the time I've been assuming you're in on the joke but I have found myself wondering whether you genuinely could just be dense enough to think that someone literally went up to to a tv screen and pushed a protractor against it.
Oh now you say you were kidding after being ridiculed for months? Its just that your thoughts and opinions on the game in other aspects lends credence to the fact that it was something, which you actually did. Now do you see how you look to most people posting here? I sure hope so.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What "excuses"? This like the 4th time you've said this. What is there to be made excuses for? I know English isn't your first language but you're making absolutely no sense

If you honestly think that the pitches that serious were comparable to normal Australian pitches then fair enough, completely bat**** insane and stupid that you think that, but at least the point you're making is fair, if you honestly believe that

btw you completely misunderstanding the point of an argument and then only realizing later isn't "switching goalposts" lol

not sure how any of this is relevant at all

I've said like 4 times that CA aren't helping touring sides on purpose

No.. you said the pitches were "Ridiculously" slower and lower than regular Australian pitches and I am pointing out, they were not. But as per norm, you dont want to acknowledge facts as they prove you wrong. You just shifted goal posts by trying to temper the terms of the relative comparison and then saying they helped India. It was discussed ad nauseum in that tour thread that this Indian batting line up actually likes pace and bounce on the pitch and have honestly struggled more on dust bowls than on any hard and true bounce Australian pitch. But go on, pretend that those pitches were slow and low and otherwise Australia would have blown the opposition out... And that RSA only beat you because they got the conditions they wanted, coz CA clearly want to see Australia bundled out in 3 or 4 days and losing to 10 man teams. I understand cricket is something you cannot comprehend but you still gotta know you are making absolutely no sense.

Of course, you can continue to claim any other reason why teams have done well when touring Australia but you are just completely bat **** crazy insane and stupid and one eyed for believing any of that crap which has no factual basis whatsoever and is just an excuse you are giving to fool yourself (coz lets face it, that stupid argument ain't fooling any other reasonable poster here) to think that Australia are better than they have played at home recently. Cool dude, whatever floats your boat.

If Australia wanted to press a home field advantage against India, we'd make them play at the Gabba, WACA and Hobart in that order. Instead we dish up our flattest decks in Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne.

If you can't see how that benefits India you've frankly got rocks in your head. Similarly, giving Perth and Hobart to South Africa helps their game because it turns Philander into a beast.

The fact is that India finds Australia as hard as Australia finds India.

Nah.. RSA cant tour to play the Boxing Day or New Years' tests anymore and India can. Simple reason. Trust me, none of this stopped Sydney being a bouncy hard track in 2011, so its not like they cant prepare the decks they want based on where they are playing.

Except Brisbane, the pitches were indeed low and slow for Australian conditions. No use pretending otherwise.
Explain the relative here. Which conditions are you comparing this to? And how much bounce is considered "Australian"? Those tracks had enough carry and pace compared to 2003 Aussie tracks that I saw and a few more since then too.

And I would love to see you or Spark (surely dont expect TJB to understand this part) explain how you can make a pitch "bounce" more without leaving some grass on there. You speak as if it is some independent factor which can be brought into the wicket at the snap of a finger. You need grass to bind the surface hard to get the high bounce and when you do that, you are leaving grass that can be exploited by good swing bowlers, unless the natural soil itself is hard in that city. That is the difference between the wickets you see at Brisbane and the ones you see at Perth and I recall Botham mentioning that even in Perth, they had to go dig up across Western Australia almost near the Gold Coast or somewhere to get the soil that had given the old WACA pitch its bounce. Its all nice to say others are "pretending" OS but there is no use in you pretending you understand cricket wickets too.

The simple fact of the matter is that there is no outright no. 1 side. Any official or unofficial rankings will inevitably depend upon different factors and how each factor is weighted, eg. Home v Away, series wins v match wins, quantity of matches, injuries etc etc the list goes on, as we've seen this thread.

There's nothing wrong with the discussion but it's important to realize that there is not going to be a resolution whereby one team is decreed "the best in world cricket". Not right now at least, and this would probably have been the case for most of history with the exception of WI 1970s, Aus 90s/00s and maybe Aus back when Bradman was around (ie Invincibles era)
Depends on how you define "best". If it means #1 among the available sides, then there surely is a best team around at the moment. If it means being dominant everywhere and almost invincible, there have only been 3 or 4 across cricket history.

You know, it's getting tiresome when every single post you make has some kind of snide remark. It frankly makes you look like a complete dick.

My number 2 team is Pakistan. Have generally been good at home, did wonderfully in England. Only real black mark so far are those two poor tests in NZ.
And you made fun of me when I said they were my #1 after that England series. :laugh:

Yrs but its because Australia wants to improve their chances of winning by taking Indian bowlers out of the game. The faster pitches will give us a sniff of winning and they don't risk it. Hope we get to see them play each other at Perth soon.
I don't think that is entirely true. A pitch with lateral movement increases our odds but I don't think pace does.
You cant juust "create" pace and bounce on a wicket. Its more of a natural characteristic of the soil and the only way to artificially get it to do more is to get more grass in there which will inevitably suit the swing bowlers. I would rather face Australia in a proper seaming Brisbane or Perth wicket than the hard and bouncy roads we got in the 2014 series. Surely, it is less depressing to see our attack in those conditions than that 2014 series.
/15
Because Asia is one small part of the world, even the cricket world

It gets far too much weighting IMO because so much cricket tends to be played there. If you had a team that exclusively played well in Africa but **** everywhere else you wouldn't rate them at all

Asia is a not a "small" part of any world - cricket or the actual world itself. But I think enough people have taken this post apart for me to bother. :p

You're not wrong, it's a highly subjective concept.

Just my opinion on the matter

really not that complicated to understand, but if anyone was going to struggle it'd be you!

The pure number of teams playing in each continent is but one weighting factor, if that's the be-all and end-all for you then all power to you

Asia has 4 of the 10 cricket playing nations and if certain players and teams are gonna suck there, it means they pretty much suck at international cricket. THAT is neither subjective nor hard to understand yet you seem to think it is a matter of opinion. Kudos. For a person whose first language is English (unlike poor me) you certainly seem extremely challenged in comprehending it.

I presume TJB means small as in historically and currently unimportant, and not given to leaving any lasting impression on the game.

It's pretty hard to argue against that point tbh.

Will make more sense if all your players weren't queuing to make dough off the IPL.. :p Face it, Burgey, cricket was nothing before the subcontinent got crazy about it and it will be nothing if we dropped it tomorrow. THAT is the point that is pretty hard to argue against. :p

TheJediBrah

Jesus christ hb, ain't no one reading that

No.. you said the pitches were "Ridiculously" slower and lower than regular Australian pitches and I am pointing out, they were not.
luckily don't really have to go too far to see where your post already falls apart. Seriously how many people do you need to tell you before you stop denying it?

the rest of what you said that I saw through skimming is just repeating the same irrelevant and just plain wrong **** that has already been thoroughly refuted.

again "shifting the goal posts" doesn't encompass your lack of reading comprehension leading you to misunderstand a discussion and only realising later

Oh now you say you were kidding after being ridiculed for months? Its just that your thoughts and opinions on the game in other aspects lends credence to the fact that it was something, which you actually did. Now do you see how you look to most people posting here? I sure hope so.
So you honestly thought I was serious? I know English isn't your fist language but ****

lmfao

Burgey

You're joking right.

Go tally up the total land mass of cricket playing countries, and see what a giant % of that Asia is please
That makes Australia geographically the most important doesn't it? Let's run with that.

cnerd123

likes this
That makes Australia geographically the most important doesn't it? Let's run with that.
tbh Cricket outside Australia and Asia doesn't really matter, does it? It's always raining in NZ and Eng, and we only play cricket in SA for the chicks.

Victor Ian

International Coach
You're joking right.

Go tally up the total land mass of cricket playing countries, and see what a giant % of that Asia is please
Asia makes up 30%. About 4.2 compared to 10.25 million square km. Seems small to me.

Granted, I measured area. Too lazy to find out and multiply by land depth.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Geographically, which I thought I made pretty clear in my first post
Lets respond to this full on TJB style..........

I am genuinely amazed that this needs to be explained to you....absolutely mind blown tbh!!!. What on earth does the geographical size got to do with this discussion?? Let me try and help you out here as you're clearly missing the point. When 4 out of 10 of the test cricketing nations, including the financial powerhouse with a population of a billion as well as the side that cleaned up on the vote in this thread a short while ago, I really don't think that your comment of "because Asia is a small part of the world, even the cricket world" is remotely close to being an intelligent comment.

Seriously amazing that you don't get this.

PS,

Back in Adders style now.........you didn't make anything clear in your first post, if you did then we would not be having this conversation. And word to the wise.......seriously, listen to some good advice that zinzan gave you. Your condescending BS is getting incredibly tiresome.

OverratedSanity

@hb I made fun of you because you're hb, not because you said Pakistan are number 1. :p

Also I voted for Pakistan in the poll, right after the England series.

TheJediBrah

tbh I didn't think that this whole (Asia not a big part of cricketing world bit) would gain so much traction so quickly

started out as a subtle burgey-esque dig but has come along quite nicely

TheJediBrah

Lets respond to this full on TJB style..........

I am genuinely amazed that this needs to be explained to you....absolutely mind blown tbh!!!. What on earth does the geographical size got to do with this discussion?? Let me try and help you out here as you're clearly missing the point. When 4 out of 10 of the test cricketing nations, including the financial powerhouse with a population of a billion as well as the side that cleaned up on the vote in this thread a short while ago, I really don't think that your comment of "because Asia is a small part of the world, even the cricket world" is remotely close to being an intelligent comment.

Seriously amazing that you don't get this.

PS,

Back in Adders style now.........you didn't make anything clear in your first post, if you did then we would not be having this conversation. And word to the wise.......seriously, listen to some good advice that zinzan gave you. Your condescending BS is getting incredibly tiresome.
IMO you're knuckle-headed, abusive, boring, obsessive posting whenever you see me is getting tiresome

not really, it's gold, don't stop

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jesus christ hb, ain't no one reading that

luckily don't really have to go too far to see where your post already falls apart. Seriously how many people do you need to tell you before you stop denying it?

the rest of what you said that I saw through skimming is just repeating the same irrelevant and just plain wrong **** that has already been thoroughly refuted.

Lol.. anyone with sense would read, but I am sure you wont. :p

And no one has said anything to me except you which shows the validity of your points but again, just ignore that fact like everything else as it does not suit your false argument.

again "shifting the goal posts" doesn't encompass your lack of reading comprehension leading you to misunderstand a discussion and only realising later

No, but it encompasses yours. 8-)

So you honestly thought I was serious? I know English isn't your fist language but ****

lmfao

Yay.. more "not your first language" insults when proven wrong. Hope this does help you sleep better at night, bro. REALLLLY hope it does.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
tbh I didn't think that this whole (Asia not a big part of cricketing world bit) would gain so much traction so quickly

started out as a subtle burgey-esque dig but has come along quite nicely
:laugh:

And this is the best bit of TJB style........when you get called out, just pretend it was a joke/troll.