• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently England's 2-1 victory in South Africa did not happen now, for reasons which are not entirely clear.
Oh it happened, & the reasons were perfectly clear, SA were missing their two premier bowlers.

Be a bit like them playing India with Ashwin & Jadeja unavailable.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Now that India has started using DRS (which truly helps) and that Kohli will be captain in the away tours, you can almost see the away record improving to some degree at least, unless ofcourse couple of the seamers break down (including Shami), in which case it would be the same old.

At the very least I see India winning in NZ, but apparently India are not scheduled to tour NZ at all.. :laugh:

Last edited:

Zinzan

We'll need to wait and see obviously, but I can see India improving their overseas record massively under Kohli.

Also considering Shami and B Kumar's recent development, their fast bowling stocks are looking better.

Burgey

Now that India has started using DRS (which truly helps) and that Kohli will be captain in the away tours, you can almost see the away record improving to some degree at least, unless ofcourse couple of the seamers break down (including Shami), in which case it would be the same old.

At the very least I see India winning in NZ, but apparently India are not scheduled to tour NZ at all.. :laugh:
Why do you reckon DRS will help India away? Isn't it just the application of the same software for everyone, everywhere?

Burgey

We'll need to wait and see obviously, but I can see India improving their overseas record massively under Kohli.

Also considering Shami and B Kumar's recent development, their fast bowling stocks are looking better.
Yeah look, the away record thing may well improve, but if it does it won't be because of an improvement in pace bowling. The Wheel is Forever.

Zinzan

Why do you reckon DRS will help India away? Isn't it just the application of the same software for everyone, everywhere?
Jadeja in particular hits the pad an awful lot, I can see him getting more wickets under DRS, especially when batsmen are well forward.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Without DRS, the home tends to benefit more.. than the away team as the marginal decisions or the benefit of doubt (given by umpires) tends to go more in their favour even when the batsman is actually out. (ball hitting leg stump or impact being inside the line but due to benefit of doubt was adjudged to be too close/ risky to give out).

So the umpires are more cautious with LBWs and thus you see teams racking up bigger scores against the weaker Indian bowling which creates fewer chances away from Asia.

But with DRS, suppose Aus is 240/4 and a LBW decision is not given. Thanks to DRS now, India reviews and the decision is over-turned, so instead of it typically becoming 550/8 at SCG under the no DRS system, it changes to 400 all out..

Or the umpires are happier to give decisions or they can be more aggressive with their decisions, rather than playing on the safe side because there is a safety net with Drs

smash84

The Tiger King
Without DRS, the home tends to benefit more.. than the away team as the marginal decisions or the benefit of doubt (given by umpires) tends to go more in their favour even when the batsman is actually out. (ball hitting leg stump or impact being inside the line but due to benefit of doubt was adjudged to be too close/ risky to give out).

So the umpires are more cautious with LBWs and thus you see teams racking up bigger scores against the weaker Indian bowling which creates fewer chances away from Asia.

But with DRS, suppose Aus is 240/4 and a LBW decision is not given. Thanks to DRS now, India reviews and the decision is over-turned, so instead of it typically becoming 550/8 at SCG under the no DRS system, it changes to 400 all out..

Or the umpires are happier to give decisions or they can be more aggressive with their decisions, rather than playing on the safe side because there is a safety net with Drs
:blink:

Burgey

I don't actually agree with any of this, but thanks for explaining your reasoning. Dar gave Smith out here vs SA when he was a million miles down the track, as an example. I mean, there have been neutral umpires for over a decade now.

Do you now think India will start to go worse at home, because the marginal calls will begin to go against them with DRS?

smash84

The Tiger King
You're cooking up really weird scenarios. India's bad bowling performance overseas isn't mainly about not getting decisions in their favor.

And of course you forget neutral umpires

Edit: beaten by burgey

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
To some degree, Indian bowling will benefit.

It may not make too much of a difference to the outcome though more often than not, but sometimes a single wicket can change the whole momentum.

And given how hopeless Indian bowling usually is away from home, any move or anything that can get them more wickets is gonna help, no?

Burgey

Possibly, but they're just as likely to get out decisions overturned on review as anyone else too.

I do like how India has come on board with DRS though. And they seem a far more positive looking unit than they were before, which is good.

These things pretty much confirm what everyone outside India had known for the better part of a decade - Tendulkar was holding India back from taking the next step, because everything was always about him. That applied to him, the team and the cricketing culture. Out, foul spot!

TheJediBrah

lol wut

I don't think any of this has any basis in reality

To some degree, Indian bowling will benefit.

It may not make too much of a difference to the outcome though more often than not, but sometimes a single wicket can change the whole momentum.

And given how hopeless Indian bowling usually is away from home, any move or anything that can get them more wickets is gonna help, no?
I don't understand this logic at all. DRS will be available for both teams playing the game, not just for India. It's not going to help India any more than it helps the other team.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't actually agree with any of this, but thanks for explaining your reasoning. Dar gave Smith out here vs SA when he was a million miles down the track, as an example. I mean, there have been neutral umpires for over a decade now.

Do you now think India will start to go worse at home, because the marginal calls will begin to go against them with DRS?
Yup, Indian batsmen could suffer a bit, as they do benefit from the odd decision.

But Kohli has brought a shift in attitude & culture, so I don't think India will fare worse at home, unless opposition also has a quality spinner to really trouble the indian batsmen

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh it happened, & the reasons were perfectly clear, SA were missing their two premier bowlers.

Be a bit like them playing India with Ashwin & Jadeja unavailable.
Can we have half a point back for each of the first three tests here then where one of Anderson or Broad were unavailable?

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
lol wut

I don't think any of this has any basis in reality

I don't understand this logic at all. DRS will be available for both teams playing the game, not just for India. It's not going to help India any more than it helps the other team.
Yea, but I am comparing it to the scenario without DRS. Umpires were giving fewer LBWs, fewer decisions because there was benefit of the doubt thing.. which would slightly help batsmen, especially home batsmen.
It wasn't significant but the odd decision would 'tend' to go in their favor.
And when things are not going your way and a single decision can bring the bowlers back in the game.

This is just my opinion.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Can we have half a point back for each of the first three tests here then where one of Anderson or Broad were unavailable?
South Africa were without their top bowlers at "home", where they are twice as lethal.

Don't think England seamers could have done much and we have seen Anderson pick up 4 wickets in 3 games @54.

If Swann was still around and still quality bowler, and had to miss the series, then...

Zinzan

South Africa were without their top bowlers at "home", where they are twice as lethal.

Don't think England seamers could have done much and we have seen Anderson pick up 4 wickets in 3 games @54.

If Swann was still around and still quality bowler, and had to miss the series, then...
Fair point, hadn't realized Anderson's figures were so bad on that tour.