• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slifer

International Captain
weren't India getting totally smashed in England after winning the first test?
Yeah but at least they won a non dead rubber test. Nothing to be ashamed of. Outside of RSA, I can't see any team winning in England. But England have been annihilated in India. As has every team that's toured recently. England relatively speaking, did not annihilate India at home.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The pitches Australia serves up to its tourists tend to be the pitches that best suit the strengths of the tourists. That's why India always gets the roads and turning tracks. CA want to make sure that India don't get rolled in 3 days at the WACA.

If we stopped doing this wed start seeing more convincing wins by Australia at home.

India probably are better than Australia at the moment but it isn't by a wide margin at all. Very few teams are winning away series right now except to the west indies and Bangladesh/Zim.

The current ICC ratings are probably a fair assessment of each team. <20 points between 1st and 7th, with Bangladesh and the west indies far behind and Zim even further behind.
I was just about to say this in response to your previous post. While I don't think it's been a deliberate act to help touring teams, its definitely worked out that way quite a lot recently.

I've been of the opinion for a while that we should just prepare wickets purely to our strengths and opposition weaknesses, as a lot of other countries do as a matter of course.

Lol.. what a lame excuse. Let's write off the only time Australia won in India too coz the tracks were what Australia wanted. 8-)

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I probably wouldn't go as far as stephen, but a lot of wickets produced in Australia seem to be more for the benefit of CA finances rather than the team.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Excuse for what? Your post makes absolutely no sense
My Post was stating facts... so I am not surprised :p

I probably wouldn't go as far as stephen, but a lot of wickets produced in Australia seem to be more for the benefit of CA finances rather than the team.

Not really. They played on tracks that maximized their advantage at least during the India series and there is no way any of the RSA wickets was designed to benefit CA finances either. :p As I said, they are just lame excuses for the team not playing as well as some people may have wanted them to.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not really. They played on tracks that maximized their advantage at least during the India series and there is no way any of the RSA wickets was designed to benefit CA finances either. :p As I said, they are just lame excuses for the team not playing as well as some people may have wanted them to.
What, in the most recent series against India? They were some of the slowest, flattest wickets that Smith feasted on, and made for terrible cricket. The wickets the prior series, which were hardly green tops but sent Gambhir on a rant, were far more representative of normal Australian conditions.

Zinzan

What, in the most recent series against India? They were some of the slowest, flattest wickets that Smith feasted on, and made for terrible cricket. The wickets the prior series, which were hardly green tops but sent Gambhir on a rant, were far more representative of normal Australian conditions.
That's only because you guys don't seem to have any wickets left in Australia with any grass on them, outside of Hobart ;)

morgieb

Yeah exactly. If hb wants to pick out an example of proper Australian conditions he went for the wrong one.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
All I know is the Sheffield Shield matches seem to have absurd amount of runs. Fill your boots if you're a batsman. Must be **** to be a bowler in Oz.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
All I know is the Sheffield Shield matches seem to have absurd amount of runs. Fill your boots if you're a batsman. Must be **** to be a bowler in Oz.
They greened up the wickets a few years ago and it left guys like Copeland and Butterworth getting heaps of wickets (a la Masters, Jesse Ryder, etc.), so the instruction went around to ensure the pitches more reflected what gets prepared for Tests. It also ensured that the spinners got more of a role in Shield cricket, which they weren't getting.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
They greened up the wickets a few years ago and it left guys like Copeland and Butterworth getting heaps of wickets (a la Masters, Jesse Ryder, etc.), so the instruction went around to ensure the pitches more reflected what gets prepared for Tests. It also ensured that the spinners got more of a role in Shield cricket, which they weren't getting.
Still some hefty innings this season.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah exactly. If hb wants to pick out an example of proper Australian conditions he went for the wrong one.
Wickets were flat and yet bouncy which meant there was no way in hell any Indian bowler was going to be any kind of threat on those tracks, while the Aussies with their tall bowlers who can bowl at pace and spinner more suited to utilizing the bounce were far more likely to get on a roll at least a couple of times to win the test series. Plus their batsmen are also so much better in those conditions and are able to score quickly to force results. To me, those wickets maximized the differences between the sides while any green top would have actually got India closer to the Aussie side, given their tendency to never be far away from a lollapse.

Zinzan

Maybe India got lucky with the some of the wickets last time around, I can't recall myself, but you can bet your bottom dollar it won't be courtesy of CA.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah but at least they won a non dead rubber test. Nothing to be ashamed of. Outside of RSA, I can't see any team winning in England. But England have been annihilated in India. As has every team that's toured recently. England relatively speaking, did not annihilate India at home.
Bang goes any credibillity you had on this topic.

TheJediBrah

Wickets were flat and yet bouncy which meant there was no way in hell any Indian bowler was going to be any kind of threat on those tracks, while the Aussies with their tall bowlers who can bowl at pace and spinner more suited to utilizing the bounce were far more likely to get on a roll at least a couple of times to win the test series. Plus their batsmen are also so much better in those conditions and are able to score quickly to force results. To me, those wickets maximized the differences between the sides while any green top would have actually got India closer to the Aussie side, given their tendency to never be far away from a lollapse.
Mind bowling that this is so hard to understand:

- The wickets were slow and low, ridiculously more than usual
- Australia would have had the biggest advantage if they were fast and bouncy, ie. the opposite of what they were
- The fact that they were flat, possibly meaning that the Aus bowlers had more chance of taking wickets, is purely because they're just better bowlers
My Post was stating facts... so I am not surprised :p

The **** are you on about? Excuses for what? No one is making any excuses nor is there anything to be made excuses for.

At least start making some sense if you're going to keep posting

OverratedSanity

Yep.. what a moron for stating facts. :)
What are you talking about? We absolutely did get annihilated in England. First two tests were competitive and even halfway through the third it wasn't terrible, but after that it was embarrassingly one sided. England have been comprehensively beaten here but the way we just ****ing gave up on that tour was a disgrace. Didn't even get into half decent positions and throw it away, the team just didn't show up.

England haven't had a test anywhere near as good as the one we had at Lords but the 3 losses we suffered were much worse. Didn't show up with the bat, ball or in the field. Shambles.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Maybe India got lucky with the some of the wickets last time around, I can't recall myself, but you can bet your bottom dollar it won't be courtesy of CA.
This is mostly true. It's CA's fault for making them flat (trying to maximise time and profits), but there's now way anyone was deliberately thinking "let's give India the best chance of competing"

Basically as I said earlier:

I was just about to say this in response to your previous post. While I don't think it's been a deliberate act to help touring teams, its definitely worked out that way quite a lot recently.

I've been of the opinion for a while that we should just prepare wickets purely to our strengths and opposition weaknesses, as a lot of other countries do as a matter of course.
CA are not being charitable, it's just turned out that recently a lot of the Test pitches prepared have suited touring teams more than an average Australian pitch would. Also as I said earlier, I'm of the opinion we should start deliberately suiting pitches to our team.

Last edited: