• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Yup, ultimately it comes down to either Watling or Neesham as I think both of them in this line up need to bat in the Top 4. It would be harsh dropping Latham from ODI (although I still maintain Guptill and Williamson would be our best opening combination) so Watling takes the bench.
Yeah i agree with that, kinda reminds me of how Nathan Astle used to alternate between opening and 3 for much of his career. Plus they do it in T20s so could be not a bad option.

Julian87

State Captain
Neesham the bowler is a horrible proposition, but Astle in ODI cricket is probably worse. We didn't give ourselves many options over here. We need overs from De Grandhomme so we can't afford to leave him out. I actually think the weak link is Watling in the position he's currently batting, he would probably be a better #4 than a floating #5/6
Yeah I agree with this. Watling before Neesham/Munro makes plenty of sense to me. I doubt they'll do it though simply to break the left handers up a bit.

Blocky

Banned
Guptill is too easy to work out when he's focusing on defense/staying at the crease, therefore he'll never be a viable option in test cricket unless he goes Matthew Hayden/Jayasuryia about things and simply looks to attack no matter the situation the team is in, but I still wouldn't put him in my test side, unless he goes away to domestic (and county) cricket, claims the 4 or 5 spot for Auckland/whichever county he plays for and puts a season together showing he can perform that role consistently.

For me though, Guptill should have played his last test.

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
he'll never be a viable option in test cricket unless he goes Matthew Hayden/Jayasuryia about things and simply looks to attack no matter the situation the team is in,
That's re-writing history IMO. Matt Hayden was an imposing figure, but he was definitely not limited to attack only. A test average over 50 indicates that's the case and a career strike rate lower than Brian Lara and Saqibul Hasan rubbishes it.

I think we've just seen that Guptill is incapable of doing it considering he averages 20 or so once you filter the minnows out.

Blocky

Banned
That's re-writing history IMO. Matt Hayden was an imposing figure, but he was definitely not limited to attack only. A test average over 50 indicates that's the case and a career strike rate lower than Brian Lara and Saqibul Hasan rubbishes it.

I think we've just seen that Guptill is incapable of doing it considering he averages 20 or so once you filter the minnows out.
Hayden was a much more complete player than Guptill; what I'm meaning though is how Hayden went about his innings where he looked to dominate the bowlers.

I'm not for a second indicating that Hayden and Guptill are similar batsmen, Hayden is an ATG opening batsman who I loved watching play, but ultimately the freedom he often attacked with at the top is something Guptill should emulate.

Also, a strike rate of 60 as an opening batsmen in test cricket (pre T20) is nothing to sneeze at; he was a very attacking batsman for test cricket during that time period.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think here's a kid in the pathways program who doesn't use "bat up". It's coached into them from the get go nowadays
After a few days watching youtube and reading some old cricket books, Social Jnr shocked me yesterday by facing up with a stance & grip that I consider to be almost perfection.

Best thing is that he tells me he just changed things around until he found the ones that felt most comfortable

He is off to a cricket camp today and if he comes home with any funky changes to it, I will smack both he and the coach around the head

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
Hayden was obviously attacking but he didn't 'attack no matter the situation'. That's what I called out.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
not sure where all this came from but Hayden was often actually quite a stodgy bat in Tests. He could leave the ball all day long. I gather some are getting confused because of his style when he did go on the attack, which was quite dominant, and his imposing presence.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarke understandably naming TOTAB's catch off John Reid in 85-86 as his all time favourite. And of course adds "Plus, I love AB".

Man has good judgment.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I know it has been raining, but goodness it's a brave call to bowl first...

Blocky

Banned
y no southee
That baffles me too, the only rationale is either that he's carrying an injury, or they're saving him for the test series but want him around the squad to help the younger bowlers

Edit: Ferguson out for Southee, that makes sense to me.

Be interesting to see how we go, and if we keep the same batting order. I think Munro needs more time than was given at the crease personally. .

Last edited: