• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Cant wait for big Mitch McClenaghan to be fit again, think he would do alright on Aussie surfaces tbh. Him and Henry opening the bowling last season at home was epic against (admittedly a weak) Sri Lanka.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the presence of CDG and Tastle in the ODI squad smacks of oh hey you're in the test squad now so we'll chuck you in the ODI team too for no good reason. Both over 30 and have limited ODI upside afaics - CDG's List A record is simply bad, while Astle has performed quite well the last couple of seasons but with Santner around its hard to see him playing, plus we don't need one more batsman down the order who can't find the boundary. Both have at least done the necessary in First Class to half-deserve a Test chance, but shouldn't be playing ODIs.

There's at least some reason behind the unproven (at ODIs) Munro, Ferguson, Latham, Neesham, Santner, Watling and maybe Nicholls (has scored List A runs at least) getting a chance, but it's going to be long and bumpy road until some of those start to perform. Badly need a good middle order ODI batsman and capable finisher around number 6, for which we'll probably have to wait until someone younger (Bruce, Chapman, Phillips?) comes through. Desperately need someone to bowl at the death with Boult too.

Best XI I could name tomorrow if everyone was fit, with the certainties bolded.

Guptill
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Watling
Munro
Santner
Milne
Henry
Southee
Boult
On second thoughts would be tempted to sub in Corey Anderson for Southee. His ODI bowling has been surprisingly effective and is no worse than anyone else bar Boult at the death. With the bat he'd be at seven and be under strict instructions to biff.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Henry's form seems to have dropped off in all formats of the game now. Quite a concern.

Strange decision to leave out Southee after his recent good test and India ODI form, in hindsight (although we were all excited to see how Ferguson would go, admittedly).
Henry bowled beautifully with the new ball up the top. He's always been very hittable in the death overs because his natural length sends the bowl right into the mid-wicket slog arc. He's a bit like a classier, less canny version of Kyle Mills in that respect.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Henry bowled beautifully with the new ball up the top. He's always been very hittable in the death overs because his natural length sends the bowl right into the mid-wicket slog arc. He's a bit like a classier, less canny version of Kyle Mills in that respect.
There are very few classier than Kyle Mills.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I know opening the innings is a different challenge to batting in the middle-order, but the guy's nearly played 50 tests. If he was a test standard #5 surely we would've seen a bit more out of him over the last 7 years, even opening.
To me, he's mentally shot as well as technically shot as an opener. He doesn't know the way to go about it. Everyone says wack it like you do at FC level and ODIs, but those same people would be the ones calling for his head if he was nicking out doing so. I'm not a big 'what if' man in life because what's done is done, but I just think if he'd been given a go in the position he was best suited to, he would've found a way - as he has in ODI cricket.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
It's a shame because it was a top innings, definitely one of the finest I've seen by a New Zealander in odi's. Poor team effort all around when you can't build around that and win.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know why my man Gorgeous George is persisting with it. Annoys me, and I'm a huge fan of his.
I can understand why. The pre-movement that gets you in the best position is different for everyone. I've found vast differences in stroke-play, balance etc. with different pre-movements. While Bailey's is definitely unusual, if it is what gets him in the best position and momentum to play his shots and get his balance right then how it looks is irrelevant.

Daemon

I guess it adds momentum to his hips and lower body when he turns around to face the bowler. Could help with power I suppose, though I don't think he's ever been lacking in that department.

TheJediBrah

I guess it adds momentum to his hips and lower body when he turns around to face the bowler. Could help with power I suppose, though I don't think he's ever been lacking in that department.
It's not always something you can analyse and quantify. It could literally just be the way it makes him think/feel or get his mind settled for playing a shot.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. would be true if that is how he has always batted. But if it is a recent development, esp. given his age, it HAS to be because he feels it aids him in combating something that his old style was getting him in trouble with. Batsmen dont just change their stance just because they feel differently all of a sudden. Not how professional sports work, forget just cricket.

TheJediBrah

Nah.. would be true if that is how he has always batted. But if it is a recent development, esp. given his age, it HAS to be because he feels it aids him in combating something that his old style was getting him in trouble with. Batsmen dont just change their stance just because they feel differently all of a sudden. Not how professional sports work, forget just cricket.
lol you think I'm just making this up?

Batsman set up, change and adjust their pre-movements all the time depending on all kinds of factors. While it's usually a momentum or balance thing, it very often has a large mental component. Sometimes it's entirely a mental issue. And this is the case for probably all professional sports, not just cricket.

Heck, a lot of the time a player (of any sport) thinks a change in technique helps them, it's purely a mental thing.

Spikey

i'm surprised he carried it across to ODI cricket. i kinda thought it might be a FC only thing

Spark

Global Moderator
Isn't it mostly so he can get better access to the offside and be in less danger when he tries to drive? I remember him—or someone—saying something along those lines last year.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not particularly relevant where he is as the bowler runs in, more so at the point of release. If his pre-delivery movement gets him to a good position with square eyes, good head position, ability to move to access both sides of the wicket etc then he could be looking directly at his ball sack for all it matters. Whether that's the case for Bailey, unsure. You can't not have a pre-delivery movement for guys bowling 140km plus, your feet have to be moving - so this is his way.

ajdude

International Coach
Isn't it mostly so he can get better access to the offside and be in less danger when he tries to drive? I remember him—or someone—saying something along those lines last year.
think it was something to do with him getting squared up often

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, it allowed him to be a bit more side on in playing the ball through the off-side. He's been interesting to listen to when he's talked about it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol you think I'm just making this up?

Batsman set up, change and adjust their pre-movements all the time depending on all kinds of factors. While it's usually a momentum or balance thing, it very often has a large mental component. Sometimes it's entirely a mental issue. And this is the case for probably all professional sports, not just cricket.

Heck, a lot of the time a player (of any sport) thinks a change in technique helps them, it's purely a mental thing.

So batsmen give up on what works for them coz they just feel like it? Riiiight.

Daemon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what TJB's trying to say is that it might not help at all, but the fact that the batsmen feels it might is what gets them to change.

You're both saying the same thing I think.