• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's very easy to say in hindsight (I wasn't watching at the time) but Kane's captaincy was encapsulated by the non-decision to review on Smith. Brendon would've reviewed that as soon as he heard the N sound come out of the umpire's mouth. In ODI cricket, the chance to get the opposition's captain and best batsman with a shout everyone knew was close...you take that every time.

What makes Kane great as a batsman is his preparation, attention to detail, tunnel vision for success etc. He doesn't particularly need an in-innings Plan B. In captaincy he does, and he isn't able to find it. Too rigid to plans, and when they're not working there's no sign he's able to rectify it. Think we've seen enough of him in charge now to know it's going this way. Not expecting him to be the gambler Brendon was, but I'm just not inspired by his captaincy. I'd prefer he went back to being a batsman solely interested in his own output, but then again I can't think of a candidate for the captaincy.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Massive missed opportunity with this one. Boult and Guptill aside a very poor showing.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The discrepancy between Guptill's LO and test records is Bevanesque. Obviously a huge difference with fields and all,but to see a bloke so composed and in control in one form but struggle so much in another leaves me scratching my head. It must be infuriating for Kiwi fans.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Neesham/CDG aren't genuine ODI bowling options, Ferguson is only good for 2 overs and Henry was pretty spuddy.

Southee back in for the next one, drop Ferguson. Rest of the squad looks fairly awful too. Tastle? Wtf. Nicholls the only other bat and I don't particularly rate him to make much more of an impact than CDG/Munro/Neesham.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The discrepancy between Guptill's LO and test records is Bevanesque. Obviously a huge difference with fields and all,but to see a bloke so composed and in control in one form but struggle so much in another leaves me scratching my head. It must be infuriating for Kiwi fans.
For Athlai moreso than most of the rest of us. But yes, watching him belt Starc and Hazlewood all around the park after seeing him meekly surrendering his wicket in increasingly curious ways on last month's tour of India is quite baffling.

Burgey

Yeah, you don't play the way he does if you're talentless, do you? It befuddles me when you see players like that.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Frustrating is definitely one word, it's not unexpected though because he has never, and will never be suited to opening the batting in Test cricket. It would've been ideal if they'd said 3-4 years ago this isn't working, you're a much better #5 at Test level (around the time that Brendon was opening, 2012 or so). If he'd batted there most of his career, I have no doubt he'd be in the mid 30s-high 30s at least, rather than being judged a failure in Test cricket because he hasn't coped with the toughest job in the team. If Ross Taylor, for example, had been forced to open, his record would be similar. He's just never been suited to being an opener with his deficiencies outside off stump. I know other posters have said 'well he's not that good at playing spin either' but in reality, 90% of our Test matches are either played against sub-par spinners or on pitches not conducive to turn. Yet Nathan Astle, who had the luxury of batting 5, averages mid 30s and people remember him for the 222, the destructive middle order innings etc. I reckon Gup is a better player than him, in all formats.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Neesham/CDG aren't genuine ODI bowling options, Ferguson is only good for 2 overs and Henry was pretty spuddy.

Southee back in for the next one, drop Ferguson. Rest of the squad looks fairly awful too. Tastle? Wtf. Nicholls the only other bat and I don't particularly rate him to make much more of an impact than CDG/Munro/Neesham.
I'd bring Southee in for Ferguson, and presuming that Canberra is dry I'd be playing Astle too. As much as I love him, Colin is wasted at #8 bowling a bit of fiddly stuff if it's a flat deck. Neesham stays in, Nicholls doesn't offer anything more. Neesham's bowling has fallen off a cliff, however - so unbalanced at the crease. Just going to have to hope Southee/Henry/Boult/Santner/Astle gets most of the job done.

Burgey

Frustrating is definitely one word, it's not unexpected though because he has never, and will never be suited to opening the batting in Test cricket. It would've been ideal if they'd said 3-4 years ago this isn't working, you're a much better #5 at Test level (around the time that Brendon was opening, 2012 or so). If he'd batted there most of his career, I have no doubt he'd be in the mid 30s-high 30s at least, rather than being judged a failure in Test cricket because he hasn't coped with the toughest job in the team. If Ross Taylor, for example, had been forced to open, his record would be similar. He's just never been suited to being an opener with his deficiencies outside off stump. I know other posters have said 'well he's not that good at playing spin either' but in reality, 90% of our Test matches are either played against sub-par spinners or on pitches not conducive to turn. Yet Nathan Astle, who had the luxury of batting 5, averages mid 30s and people remember him for the 222, the destructive middle order innings etc. I reckon Gup is a better player than him, in all formats.
Sounds pretty reasonable. Is it too late for him to fill that role in the test side, or has he done his dash because of what's happened with him opening? He'd be a handy five or six if he came in and batted ODI style

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Raval/OpeneroftheMonth
Latham
Wililamson
Taylor
Guptill
Anderson/Neesham/CDG
Watling (+)
Santana
Wagner
Southee
Boult

Actually too much icing, move Watling to 6 and the allrounders to 7.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah the presence of CDG and Tastle in the ODI squad smacks of oh hey you're in the test squad now so we'll chuck you in the ODI team too for no good reason. Both over 30 and have limited ODI upside afaics - CDG's List A record is simply bad, while Astle has performed quite well the last couple of seasons but with Santner around its hard to see him playing, plus we don't need one more batsman down the order who can't find the boundary. Both have at least done the necessary in First Class to half-deserve a Test chance, but shouldn't be playing ODIs.

There's at least some reason behind the unproven (at ODIs) Munro, Ferguson, Latham, Neesham, Santner, Watling and maybe Nicholls (has scored List A runs at least) getting a chance, but it's going to be long and bumpy road until some of those start to perform. Badly need a good middle order ODI batsman and capable finisher around number 6, for which we'll probably have to wait until someone younger (Bruce, Chapman, Phillips?) comes through. Desperately need someone to bowl at the death with Boult too.

Best XI I could name tomorrow if everyone was fit, with the certainties bolded.

Guptill
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Watling
Munro
Santner
Milne
Henry
Southee
Boult

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds pretty reasonable. Is it too late for him to fill that role in the test side, or has he done his dash because of what's happened with him opening? He'd be a handy five or six if he came in and batted ODI style
It shouldn't be too late, he's so much better than Nicholls or any other candidate it's not worth measuring. But yeah, he probably has does his dash because of the extended run as an opener, plus they might go with someone younger like Will Young over a 30-something year old.

I've been saying this for a long time, if there was an NZ v the Aliens game tomorrow - or for a series for the next 2 years - to save the earth, Gup would be at #5. Or should be.

Mike5181

International Captain
I know opening the innings is a different challenge to batting in the middle-order, but the guy's nearly played 50 tests. If he was a test standard #5 surely we would've seen a bit more out of him over the last 7 years, even opening.

burr

State Vice-Captain
That stance of George Bailey's is one of the ugliest things I've seen on a cricket field.

Burgey

I don't know why my man Gorgeous George is persisting with it. Annoys me, and I'm a huge fan of his.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Henry's form seems to have dropped off in all formats of the game now. Quite a concern.

Strange decision to leave out Southee after his recent good test and India ODI form, in hindsight (although we were all excited to see how Ferguson would go, admittedly).