• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Regarding Scott Borthwick and selection, surely England will only be calling up from the Lions Tour so that rules him out. Personally, I guess they'll go with Jennings and hopefully finally call up Leach.

Whether Borthwick SHOULD have been be on the Lions tour is a different discussion altogether! :)

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Averaging over 50 playing half your games at CLS good one mate.

This is the first season it's been anything other than a bowlers paradise. It helped us see Borthwick in the first half of the season averaging over 80.

We then went for someone who averaged in the 20s in 2015 in Vince and Ballance who hit one ton averaging low 30s in 2016

It affected him along with surreys advances and he looked shot in the second half.

The much more batting friendly wicket has helped Keats finally solidify himself as a batsman after looking ropey in previous seasons.
you're advocating the selection of a bloke who lost form at the thought of playing for england and of a bloke who basically needed his home pitch turning into a road to put it together.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Cook has looked really dodgy in the series. Unsettled and nervy. Caught in the crease too many times. He's a hard working guy and expecting him to make some runs in the next matches.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
you're advocating the selection of a bloke who lost form at the thought of playing for england and of a bloke who basically needed his home pitch turning into a road to put it together.
Well we had better weather up here this season. That helps. It wasn't a road just not a bowlers paradise where Rushy took 15/95 in 2015

He went back to South Africa and worked extremely hard on his game over the winter and we just reaped the rewards when Borthwick faltered.

As far as Scotty goes, I'd would say having worked incredibly hard on your batting and do everything right(top run scorer in championship cricket in the past 4 seasons) but not getting selected would be demoralising. Coupled with the fact he had a side offering more money to uproot in his entire life.

indiaholic

International Captain
Cook has looked really dodgy in the series. Unsettled and nervy. Caught in the crease too many times. He's a hard working guy and expecting him to make some runs in the next matches.
Cook will find a way... Wouldn't worry too much about it if I was an England supporter.

Chrish

International Debutant
Ashwin averaging 41 with the ball and 49 with the bat against England

Not sure if one should laugh or weep

hazsa19

International Regular
Bayliss on the Lions squad and possible selection- "I haven't seen any of those, I'll be relying on the other selectors there. Hopefully we can come up with a name in the next 24 hours. The replacement will be a top-order player."

Wtf are we paying him for? What a mess we've found ourselves in.

hazsa19

International Regular
We're paying him to coach the senior side.
He's a selector too. Call me mental but I'd expect Head Coach/ selector of England to know something about players available to him. Actually, I expect him to have an intimate knowledge of Lions, County players, youth squads. He's been here long enough.

Woodster

International Captain
He has surely seen plenty of recorded action of those guys if not in the flesh. He may not be fully aware of how they're looking currently, but surely he knows their game's inside out.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Bayliss on the Lions squad and possible selection- "I haven't seen any of those, I'll be relying on the other selectors there. Hopefully we can come up with a name in the next 24 hours. The replacement will be a top-order player."

Wtf are we paying him for? What a mess we've found ourselves in.
Yep absolutely embarrassing. What does he do in the rest of the year?

James Vince was picked cos he saw him in the nets with the T20 stuff, also the media rammed it down our throats how great he was.

Despite most of them likely never having watched him bat for Hants in red ball stuff(again picked off his performances on the TV in the natwest blast)

Nas/Athers want Billings in the side with Duckett to open. I think they must have been drunk

This is what Cork wants, obviously while under the influence of crack

Cook
Root
Ali
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Billings

I wouldn't be surprised if they do go for Billings as well, now the media reckon he's a good pick

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep absolutely embarrassing. What does he do in the rest of the year?

James Vince was picked cos he saw him in the nets with the T20 stuff, also the media rammed it down our throats how great he was.

Despite most of them likely never having watched him bat for Hants in red ball stuff(again picked off his performances on the TV in the natwest blast)

Nas/Athers want Billings in the side with Duckett to open. I think they must have been drunk

This is what Cork wants, obviously while under the influence of crack

Cook
Root
Ali
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Billings

I wouldn't be surprised if they do go for Billings as well, now the media reckon he's a good pick
Nice T20/ODI lineup :P
Only Hales needs to be accommodated in there & the lineup would be just perfect for big hitting lolz.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
One thing that has stood out for me this series has been how consistent the Indian spinners have been and how much the English spinners have struggled with that. Reminds me of how Umesh and Shami, in particular, bowled in Australia when it was clear they had the talent and the ability to bowl good wicket taking balls but just could not be consistent enough, which meant the Aussie batsmen were able to sit on them and pounce when they provided the inevitable release balls. Its the same with the English spinners here. Rashid has taken the most wickets and a better average and maybe even SR than Ashwin, but only an idiot would say Ashwin was not the best spinner on view so far this series. I guess this is where home advantage really helps. In that your bowlers know how to bowl consistently good spells while the opposition, even if they have talented bowlers suited to the conditions, cannot string together that kind of consistency, which your batsmen then duly take advantage of. It perhaps explains why pitches seem to do so much more when the away team is batting than when the home team is batting too.

But the good news for most non SC sides is that you dont always have to depend on your spinners here. You can still get your seamers into the game and bowl reverse swing and get away that way. The poor SC sides get no such leeways away from home as their spinners are pretty much taken out of the game all the way.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah one very encouraging thing on this tour is that the quicks have been extremely relevant.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashwin's bowling must have suffered due to the niggle yesterday. His figures may not reflect it but he broke the game open for us on last session of day 3 and the first innings of the 2nd match. Hoping he brings that series average closer to 25 as he deserves.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I would still get Bhuvi in for Umesh despite his performance, and even though Umesh should have more wickets to his name than he does.

Honestly even if India want to keep Umesh in the side, I'd still want Bhuvi in place of the extra batsmen, I know it sounds crazy but that's how badly I want him in the side. We can afford to adjust him given our lower middle order.

Last edited: