• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dare say that South Africa winning their next home series against England and Australia is a damn sight more likely than India winning an away series in either place any time soon. And yes, they were indeed dominated 3-1 and 2-0 in their last two tours to those countries with pretty much the same personnel they have now. An improvement over their previous 4-0 thrashings, granted.
What cannot you get about the fact SA is a better away side in non-SC conditions than India, and India is both a better side at home than SA & imo a better away side in the SC. If you want to tie everything to historical results and suggest SA are truly a better equipped side to beat the likes of SL in a hypothetical series in SL starting tomorrow, you can think that. In my mind India are a far better SC side than SA as it stands right atm and the way they play their cricket. If you want to put a huge emphasis on what SA did 3 years ago in SL, that's another discussion.

Zinzan

Not sitting on the fence on this one. South Africa it is
Interesting you disagree with the rankings now, although I don't recall you haven't an issue with them when Pakistan were announced as the no 1 side a few months back :P

Incidentally, who's currently 2nd after SA?

Last edited:

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Anyway I've had enough. India are apparently the best side in the world based on their awesome away record in Sri Lanka and the West Indies and at home. I guess we'll just have to wait for India to lost their home test to Bangladesh next year for the scales to drop from some peoples eyes.

smash84

The Tiger King
Interesting you disagree with the rankings now, although I don't recall you haven't an issue with them when Pakistan were announced as the no 1 side a few months back :P

India probably, or perhaps England

Last edited:

Zinzan

Anyway I've had enough. India are apparently the best side in the world based on their awesome away record in Sri Lanka and the West Indies and at home. I guess we'll just have to wait for India to lost their home test to Bangladesh next year for the scales to drop from some peoples eyes.
It's just funny that we've lived with the same ICC rankings methodology for about a decade now, & whilst nobody says it's perfect, it only ever seems contestable & controversial when India make it to number 1. I recall the same happening in 2010 or whenever it last was.

Burgey

Yeah but he might have reached that conclusion independently of the rankings. About six months after the 2011 WC the rankings out Australia as the number one ODI side.

The rankings are fine and all but you don't have to agree with them. Australia was ranked one a while back but I didn't think they were that good.

There are three or four teams vying for it right now. I said earlier I'd like India to win a bit more away for the to be number one in my thinking, but on reflection it's hardly their fault they have a string of home series ATM. They belong in the argument too, really.

smash84

The Tiger King
Based on what exactly? SA's world-class spinners or the raging seaming green tracks in the UAE?
I wonder if you've actually watched the South African seamers this series or actually seen any matches being played in the UAE other than when NZ came to visit (doesn't seem like it)? Seamers can actually do pretty good in the UAE in many cases as evidenced by Anderson and Broad bowling in the UAE. Pak pretty much were scoring off the spinners. with SA having very good pace options it isn't impossible for them to run through the Pak batting 3 or 4 times out of 6.

smash84

The Tiger King
uh, you're definitely wrong if you think I don't think India are number one just because I am from Pakistan and support Pakistan.

Zinzan

I wonder if you've actually watched the South African seamers this series or actually seen any matches being played in the UAE other than when NZ came to visit (doesn't seem like it)? Seamers can actually do pretty good in the UAE in many cases as evidenced by Anderson and Broad bowling in the UAE. Pak pretty much were scoring off the spinners. with SA having very good pace options it isn't impossible for them to run through the Pak batting 3 or 4 times out of 6.
Lol, who said anything about impossible? Why do you always take your language to such extremes in these arguments. You just did the same with 'neck and neck' to not being 'light-years away'. Now you're doing so by using language like 'it's not impossible for them....".

The fact remains India's bowling attack is far more suited to win a series in the UAE against Pakistan regardless of how you try and spin it by citing the fact some pace bowlers have had some success there. It's not about something being 'not impossible', it's about what's likely to be the best attack to be able to beat Pakistan in their backyard.

BeeGee

International Captain
When SA start beating teams like England and Aus at home, we'll talk.
And when India win a series away from the SC, we'll talk.

Nah, **** it, I'll just talk anyway. SA number 1!! Wooooooo!!!

Last edited:

Zinzan

uh, you're definitely wrong if you think I don't think India are number one just because I am from Pakistan and support Pakistan.
I don't think that's your sole reason, but I am making the observation that I don't recall you criticizing/questioning the rankings when Pakistan made it to no.1.

smash84

The Tiger King
Lol, who said anything about impossible? Why do you always take your language to such extremes in these arguments. You just did the same with 'neck and neck' to not being 'light-years away'. Now you're doing so by using language like 'it's not impossible for them....".

The fact remains India's bowling attack is far more suited to win a series in the UAE against Pakistan regardless of how you try and spin it by citing the fact some pace bowlers have had some success there. It's not about something being 'not impossible', it's about what's likely to be the best attack to be able to beat Pakistan in their backyard.
india winning in the UAE is not a foregone conclusion by any means. In fact there is a greater chance of SA tying or winning the series in the UAE than there is of India winning it (India might tie it as well but to be better than SA they will have to win it). There is no conclusive way to prove either, its a hypothetical. South Africa have tied both of their series in the UAE. India may be able to win but might be able to lose as well.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't think that's your sole reason, but I am making the observation that I don't recall you criticizing/questioning the rankings when Pakistan made it to no.1.
Because at that point in time I thought Pakistan were just a better side. All the top 4/5 teams are very close to being the best team at any given point in time. If Pak end up winning the 2nd test in NZ i would probably have them alongside SA as the joint #1. It's that close. Now just because you got owned by Tec doesn't mean you need to come up with silly reasons to pin on the reasons for my rankings :p

Zinzan

india winning in the UAE is not a foregone conclusion by any means. In fact there is a greater chance of SA tying or winning the series in the UAE than there is of India winning it (India might tie it as well but to be better than SA they will have to win it). There is no conclusive way to prove either, its a hypothetical. South Africa have tied both of their series in the UAE. India may be able to win but might be able to lose as well.
You've contradicted yourself with those statements. On one hand you seem to be suggesting India would be more likely to win there & on the other hand you don't.