• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Virat complained last year when there were waaahs from the opposition and the media about the Nagpur pitch, right? So he should just put up and shut up in this case as well.

OverratedSanity

Good to see curators having some sort of backbone I suppose.

I don't think it was a bad pitch, but it did make the toss very important.
Eh, don't think it did. It remained excellent for batting all the way through. If it had deteriorated after 2 days, it'd have made it very difficult for the team batting second.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The pitch also proves that Indian spinners cbf'd being accurate to hit the rough patches to get turn. They want turn from the middle of the pitch. Worrying signs when they have to travel overseas.

91Jmay

International Coach
left-arm spinner Ravindra Jadeja had said it was the toss that took the game away from them
That is a pretty strange attitude. I understand the toss is pretty vital, but to basically decide you have to draw after losing the toss isn't a great attitude.

OverratedSanity

That is a pretty strange attitude. I understand the toss is pretty vital, but to basically decide you have to draw after losing the toss isn't a great attitude.
It's a lame excuse is all.

Hate how our team has so many pathetic whiners in it. Always quick to blame superficial **** for their own deficiencies. Shudder to think whatll happen if they lose the next test.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

That has been my issue with such pitches. If you go back to all the pitch discussions from the Ind-SA thread and Ind-NZ thread, I kept saying this was my worry about producing flat decks.

On another note, a very similar track in Vizag might end up being called a "bunsen" just coz it will have more zip off the pitch. I wonder if it has anything to do with the host city being a coastal area. There is definitely better carry and pace off the wicket at Chennai and Mumbai in my time of watching cricket in India, than in the other locations. Vizag during the ODI seemed to be the same too but the lights, the evening mild dew etc may have played a part too, so it will be interesting to see how the track itself plays.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kohli is the biggest whiner though, followed by Rohit. Wouldn't guess Vijay, Pujara, Rahane, KL, Ashwin, Shami to be whiners. Maybe for Umesh, Jadeja and Saha.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You guys are surely taking it out of context. I saw the presser video and he was specifically asked if he was surprised at the amount of grass left on the surface. There have been worse waaaaahhhs from our past captains.

Speaking of whom, its funny how Ganguly is sitting at crapinfo saying India should play on such tracks all the time. The guy literally faked an injury to get out of a test against Australia just because the track was not what he had asked for. :)

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

So would the fact that England played the spin so well and our spinners outbowled the home ones put India off producing the real turners from ball 1 or will they just revert to what has given them success of late?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like the confidence it seems to have given England fans at least on CW :p

Honestly, I dont think Ali or Ansari bowled better than Ashwin or Jadeja. Rashid was really good on a wicket which suits his style of bowling more than others whereas Mishy decided to go back to being crap for no reason all of a sudden. Plus, add the fact that English spinners were pretty much downhill skiing in as far as it is possible to do so for bowlers and Indian spinners bowled the best when they could not afford to have more than one fielder in catching positions, I think it is perfectly possible that we will dominate on a normal spinning track, unlike a flat slow one like Rajkot.

mackembhoy

International Regular

What like every other test match in Asia.

Indians spitting their dummies out like *****. Never seen that one before, oh wait all the time when they don't win.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
What like every other test match in Asia.

Indians spitting their dummies out like *****. Never seen that one before, oh wait all the time when they don't win.
friendly reminder that the toss is so important in england that they've actually done away with it in county cricket.

91Jmay

International Coach
friendly reminder that the toss is so important in england that they've actually done away with it in county cricket.
The toss was done away with in CC to create flatter pitches so more spinners would be produced, nothing to do with it being vital. It wasn't even considered for Div 1 at first because there wasn't really an issue. It was a problem in Div 2, where teams were just producing artificially green pitches to run through opposition and not picking a spinner.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Rahul Dravid's son is back for India

Good news, tbh. With GG there, as much as I wanted him to do well, it was like we were basically playing with 10 men. Doesn't help that he is a liability on the field too. Hopefullly this will help set some things right for us at the top of the order, even though this means we are losing one of our two left handers.

listento_me

U19 Captain
When England won in India in 2012, they lost the toss and batted second in every test bar the last (which was the draw)
I don't see what quoting a couple.of matches has to do with what I've said.

Normally teams batting first put in big scores and defend.

OverratedSanity

When England won in India in 2012, they lost the toss and batted second in every test bar the last (which was the draw)
Don't waste your breath. I've learnt no matter how much we point to that series and the Austral 4-0 (in which they won 4 tosses out of 4) people will just choose to ignore it. It's futile.

indiaholic

International Captain
Isn't that also factually wrong? I believe the number of matches won by the team batting first and second are equal?