• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

indiaholic

International Captain
That's really a shockingly bad pick in hindsight. As a cricket fan, now I'm gutted we didn't get to see QdK play in that series though it might possibly have even changed the result. The 3-0 scoreline is a bit misleading.
Eh he was not in the best of form. I thought it was a reasonable decision from a pick the team to win that series point of view.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So who will replace Lehman if the axe falls lads? I guess Gillespie would be the obvious choice now or is anyone else in the mix? It's hard to see how Aus can recover from this without any profound changes to the set-up tbh. They look totally devoid of confidence and that's no surprise when you lose five tests in a row so heavily. The attack is fine bar Siddle so it's just a matter of finding another pacer to compliement Starc and Hazelwood. But that batting order is just tragic right now and according to Chapple the cupboard is bare where young batsmen coming through are concerned. Will be very interesting to see how cricket Australia react to this crisis. Certainly winning the last game will at least inspire a bit of hope and may keep Lehman in the job but I wouldn't bet on that happening right now.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eh he was not in the best of form. I thought it was a reasonable decision from a pick the team to win that series point of view.
Yeah, I'm being Captain Hindsight here. He was pretty brilliant in the ODI series in India before that, and scored a century against England in the 4th Test I think. And he's been uniformly brilliant in all formats since then.

vcs

That Bangladesh series was barely any sample size, both games got washed out and there were 1-2 completed innings for SA. I think Vilas got picked for the 2nd game and didn't get to bat.

QdK should have been picked on the basis of the A tour to India and the ODI series, but they probably thought it wasn't sufficient grounds to drop Vilas right away without giving him a chance.

indiaholic

International Captain
Yep probably wanted to give Vilas a chance.

He was not good in the ODIs and T20s in Bangladesh. So maybe they factored that in too?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah it was fine at the time. Even from the perspective of de Kock himself, he was batting with an absolute needle at the time and it was an absurdly hard tour for an out of form South African bat to have to go on. Medium term it could have helped him to not have not played that series.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
So who will replace Lehman if the axe falls lads? I guess Gillespie would be the obvious choice now or is anyone else in the mix? It's hard to see how Aus can recover from this without any profound changes to the set-up tbh. They look totally devoid of confidence and that's no surprise when you lose five tests in a row so heavily. The attack is fine bar Siddle so it's just a matter of finding another pacer to compliement Starc and Hazelwood. But that batting order is just tragic right now and according to Chapple the cupboard is bare where young batsmen coming through are concerned. Will be very interesting to see how cricket Australia react to this crisis. Certainly winning the last game will at least inspire a bit of hope and may keep Lehman in the job but I wouldn't bet on that happening right now.
Lehman is not getting the axe for one home series loss. Changes will probably take place after the India series drubbing next year but even then..Lehman might not be the guy to get the chop. He has a lot of goodwill and the overall perception has been that he has been good for Australian cricket. He has a contract till 2019

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lehmann is fine.

I imagine he wont hang around for ages anyway as his son starts to become a national prospect.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Oh my. That was a premium bum shellacking. Premium bum shellacking of the highest order. An 8 for 30 odd fold of the type I thought only the Black Caps were capable of.

Gob

International Coach
TBF, I've seen TJB post quite regularly, dunno about Gob.
Architecting ain't easy. Since you are all craving for my posts, here's my two cents. I'm bit surprised with the sudden fall of the cliff since i thought they started to put together a decent team after NZ win specially given the side was pretty young. I've actually marked down both SL and this series as Aust wins along with Pakistan one at the time before losing in India.

Its easy to blame Smith but the problems are the same old ones. Can't play the moving ball and can't play the spinning ball

Marius

International Debutant
Great effort boys. Woke up this morning and thought I could catch some cricket before I had to leave for work but we'd already won.

:)

Has Australia ever been whitewashed at home?

flibbertyjibber

Australia are heading to be worse than England in the 1990s
They actually do have a few similarities at present. A couple of bats who are miles better than the rest and you get them it is all over and a couple of good pace bowlers who have no runs on the board to work with so have to bowl brilliantly just to keep the side in the game. They haven't reached our ****wittery on team changes yet though but that may change for next week.