• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

sonnench

U19 12th Man
It's really just a matter of trying a guy. But the selectors go for 'experience' because it's 'safe'.
The bowling's great except they're always injured. Starc getting some better control and not bowling long hops all the time would make it even better.

Read all about it. Mennie was top wicket taker in the shield but Bird had a better average and was off playing tests. But Mennie's wickets don't even seem to have been why he was picked!
Bird's a close to the stumps away swing bowler - a bit like a cross between Philander and Abbott - and quicker than both - and would have been quite useful. I wonder if the selectors think Mennie's 10 and 0 justified his selection.

Jon Holland averages 39 and played in Sri Lanka after O'Keefe was injured. Didn't do much though. After O'Keefe and Lyon it's just taking a punt.
The thought of the C9 commentators tripping over his name...
Exactly. It's come to the point where risks need to be taken. It's clearly not working with the so called "safer" picks.

I was actually pretty critical of Starc before the series, as I have always seen him as more of ODI bowler. Was literally bagging him to the missus, then that spell happened...:laugh:

That is quite incredible. Had no idea. Hes a number 11 ffs, if you count so much on his batting, it's your top order that need looking at! And it's like you say, was Mennie's 10 and 0 worth it?

It would be quite incredible. Maybe KP can stick around and help out like he did with Kagiso's pronunciation.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The advantage of losing this quickly is there's more time to argue about the team for Adelaide. A least part of the team better play in the next shield round.

Red Wingz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Australia are very vulnerable against the moving ball. So SA have the opportunity to make it 3-0, in day night test

Whitewashing Australia in their backyard is rare n would be monumental

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not all doom and gloom for Australia imo. Still got two absolute guns in Starc and Haze, two top class bats in Warner and Smith. Khawaja and Smarsh are decent and the rest of the side is average but on tracks that suit them they'll still be a really tough side to beat. In fact they're still favourites against any other team in the world besides SA at home.

StephenZA

SA always had the bowling to bowl any side in the world out cheaply, it has been fantastic. However, the importance of QDK and Bavuma, in this and the last test is immense. If not for the 50`s scored in the 1st innings in Perth by both we would have had nothing on the board and would have been in similar position to what Aus were in this match. And in this match we could easily have been bowled out for far less. It is probably the thing that makes me the happiest, that our 2 youngest and inexperienced batsmen under pressure at 6 and 7 have made sure we don`t get bowled out for nothing.... that is brilliant for SA future and shows a great mindset.

TheJediBrah

Well would have posted more if i was a 40 year old loser with no social life living in mother's basement like you but some of us have to work for living and sometimes pretty hard
Yeah funny that. I really should just call in sick everyday that cricket's on so I can post regularly here lest faceless individuals from across the internet point out I'm not posting regularly enough

anil1405

International Captain
If Australia do lose the final test, would it be the first instance where Aus have been whitewashed at home?

vcs

South Africa are generally very conservative in terms of selections, so perhaps CSA didnt think he was quite ready for the longer format earlier. He did suffer a bit of a loss of form last year, which is why Vilas was taken to India instead. Vilas is a nonsense though, who knows what they were thinking with that one!
That's really a shockingly bad pick in hindsight. As a cricket fan, now I'm gutted we didn't get to see QdK play in that series though it might possibly have even changed the result. The 3-0 scoreline is a bit misleading.

Starfighter

Oh, by the way, if one thing comes out of this series can it be that we get rid of Pat Howard?
Everything that comes out of that idiot's trap annoys me.