• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Now we need to see a solid 300* from Lyon, like Doug Bollinger in those desperate ads during the 2010–11 Ashes.

That shot is a good start.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure about that. Pakistan's pace attack is no better, and probably worse than Australia's. Might go 1-1 though, and how Yasir will perform in these conditions is unknown.
Yeah, but they also have a much better batting lineup on paper than either SA or Australia.

Blocky

Banned
I can't recall a time where I've seen an Australian side with so many spots under pressure

Burns, Voges, Khawaja, Lyon, Mennie, Ferguson were all playing for their place in this test.

Khawaja saved his, but the rest may not see a match post this test series for a while.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, but they also have a much better batting lineup on paper than either SA or Australia.
Hence my edit above. It's so hard to let go of the stereotype that batting's Pakistan's weakness. If there's anything that undoes them here it will be the bounce, but there hasn't been too much of that in Aus pitches over the last few summers, and our batsmen aren't too brilliant against it either.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I can't recall a time where I've seen an Australian side with so many spots under pressure

Burns, Voges, Khawaja, Lyon, Mennie, Ferguson were all playing for their place in this test.

Khawaja saved his, but the rest may not see a match post this test series for a while.
Lyon is going to stay thats for sure

Burgey

Nah Ferguson will get another shot.

The dismissals with blokes fending short balls is instructive, though. It smacks to me of cluttered heads and blokes under pressure. Test batsmen don't get out like that if they're thinking straight. Partly it's due to excellent bowling keeping them under pressure, but mostly it's that they're having brain freezes because they're addled in the head.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure about that. Pakistan's pace attack is no better, and probably worse than Australia's. Might go 1-1 though, and how Yasir will perform in these conditions is unknown.

Edit: Discounting their batting solidity again. Still think 1-1 is likely.
The problem for Australia was not their bowling attack. They have done their job. They bowled out SA on Day 1 for 240. The batsmen didn't show up, not their fault.

They bowled well here and restricted South Africa to 326 when they had only 85 to use as scoreboard pressure.

If Pakistan's bowling attack is as good as Australia, they will do just fine. The difference will be in the batting. The question we need to as is which is the better batting line up

Sami
Azhar
Shafiq
Younis
Misbah
Babar/Nawaz
Sarfraz

or

Warner
SMarsh/Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Ferguson/M Marsh

mackembhoy

International Regular
Well if South Africa could start playing more tests that would be great. Rather than 1 in a million years.

Looking forward to them coming to England next year. Has the potential to be a humdinger.

OverratedSanity

Well done. After day 1 in the first test with them being virtually out of it, AB not playing, and Steyn injured, I figured they were cooked for the series. The way Rabada, Abbott, QdK, Bavuma have stepped up has been incredible.

One of the best series turnarounds after a poor start I've ever seen, frankly.