• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's reliant on a majorly good eye and less so on technique. It will be interesting to see what happens as he reaches his thirties, he's not setup (as it currently stands) to succeed when he's out of form, because of how much his game relies on seeing it and playing it late.

The one advantage he has over most Australian batsman though is that his first move isn't plonking the front foot right down the line of the ball and trusting the bounce/lack of movement...

But he's looking odds on to have another not out here as Australia capitulate. I wonder if he'll shepherd strike more this innings.
He's one of those players who trolls people into thinking they'll nail him lbw, but you rarely do it. G Smith was the same, so too Boon in the 90s. Did it for years. Also a bit like Chanderpaul, people think he's in a crazy position, but if you look where they both are as the ball is bowled, they're actually set up fairly orthodox at the release point.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I guess that's why I got so many likes for making that point then, because it's so obvious that Pollock was a touch above.

He played three teams, he dominated one of those three teams and he played in an era where no one was analysing every gap in his technique.

I'm not at all discounting Pollock, masterful player and a long first class record shows that - it's not a case of saying "He's ****" - but it's more a case of saying that 20 odd tests aren't good enough when judging the place a person has in the history of the game.
Take this to ATG discussion thread.

mackembhoy

International Regular
He's a class player. Hurts some to admit it because he doesn't caress a cover drive off one knee on his way to a good looking 25 like some other players, but he just is.
It's cos he's a massive prick

If him and warner were English I'd struggle to support them.

SeamUp

International Coach
Wouldn't put it past the selectors to drop him and keep Voges though, despite the latter's abject awfulness over the past six months.
That would be the cherry on the cake in terms of **** decision-making so basically you right, it's on with this lot.

Blocky

Banned
He's one of those players who trolls people into thinking they'll nail him lbw, but you rarely do it. G Smith was the same, so too Boon in the 90s. Did it for years. Also a bit like Chanderpaul, people think he's in a crazy position, but if you look where they both are as the ball is bowled, they're actually set up fairly orthodox at the release point.
I don't recall Graeme Smith being all the way across outside off stump though. Chanderpaul had a really weird stance but was usually on middle at the time his crab walk stopped. I only really recall Boon's savage square wicket pulls and cuts.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whilst I dont think he's a bad player, I've seen nothing from Mennie to suggest that he shouldnt be a one-test wonder

burr

State Vice-Captain
How old is this Ferguson dude though? The only thing worse than losing like this is doing it with a dad's army. And when England are debuting a 19 yo and the future of SA attack is 21. So depressing.