• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Isn't it Summer in Australia? Is rain during this season common?
lol @ thinking Tasmania is part of Australia

That's pretty much what I meant. I was extremely perplexed that someone brought up interracial boning. That was not on my mind at all when I posted it. I was making a valid point about immigration changing people's interest in certain sports. I made a post about the tennis team yesterday. As tennis becomes less serve and volley, and more back of the court finesse, players of Anglo descent seem to be less intersted. I was also alluding to Australia becoming less blue collar and more white collar, and people being more overweight than in previous generations. All valid points for someone who has lived in Aus for 26 years.

But I suppose only some posters can 'tell it how they feel it is'.
That's an absolutely accurate assessment. Obvious even. Not sure why you copped **** for that tbh

brockley

International Captain
8,000 turned up yesterday a weekend day,S Africa is a strong team,you would expect less ppl on Monday.
I guess bring Manuka on.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Day by Day this series

Australia
South Africa
South Africa
South Africa
South Africa
South Africa
Draw

Today has been a decent day.

Zinzan

Everyone piling on TPC's captaincy needs to get off the vapour. You can't defend piss weak totals no matter who captains. Five gets you ten he'll end up a first rate skipper. Those suggesting Warner are kidding. First rate knob head.
Tbf so is Smith.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Na Smith deserves at least another year. Ridiculous to sack him now. Wouldn't be surprised if Lehmann and his merry men (Pat Howard) are going stale though.

Warnie may be a good choice. Seems very protective of players, into pick and stick etc

Last edited:

Daemon

That's pretty much what I meant. I was extremely perplexed that someone brought up interracial boning. That was not on my mind at all when I posted it.
Ah, my bad for the misinterpretation then

Last edited:

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Thing is, Lehmann was perfect for Clarke's captaincy. Clarke had an unbelievably high cricket intellect, but clearly lacked man management skills.

Steve Smith seems a far more agreeable guy than Clarke, but seems to be lacking in tactical department. Therefore, a Lehmann type coach becomes less important. Need someone in there who's more dynamic tactically

Zinzan

Steve Smith seems a far more agreeable guy than Clarke, but seems to be lacking in tactical department. Therefore, a Lehmann type coach becomes less important. Need someone in there who's more dynamic tactically
Really? His body language doesn't suggest that, although that could just be his face. It might just be me who thinks he always looks cynical towards his team from slip.

Blocky

Banned
Thing is, Lehmann was perfect for Clarke's captaincy. Clarke had an unbelievably high cricket intellect, but clearly lacked man management skills.

Smith doesn't seem to be a man manager either in my view. I don't see how his bowlers/fielders could like him that much being that emotive on the field. He comes across as a spoilt brat and he's meant to be captain of probably the best cricketing team in history. Fielding standards never dropped to the level they currently are under Smith when Clarke was captain, it's early days but things don't look good, they're not winning tough exchanges anymore.

TheJediBrah

Steve Smith just seems to me like a personality-less nothing as a human being. I know that sounds harsh, and I'm sure he's got defining attributes to anyone that knows him, but I just haven't seen any positive personality traits in the way I did for Clarke and Ponting, and read about from Waugh, Border etc.

Blocky

Banned
He's got a personality, it's just not a very good one..

Look at his constant issues with dissent, he's a petulant arrogant guy, who when a catch goes down, or a decision doesn't go his way, or someone misfields close in can't help but lose his **** and throw a little tantrum. I get the feeling he's a highly insecure guy without much self confidence, who is attempting to fake it too much. That's why he acts the way he acts.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I don't know what was said but if the point was that increasing immigration to Australia is diluting the percentage of the population that is interested in cricket then it's a pretty accurate assessment tbh. If that was the intent of the post.
It is not the percentage of the population that produces cricketers but the numbers. Let's say 20 million people produces a cricket team. Well, 25 million people still produces a cricket team, even if the last 5 million were all Scandinavian, because the first 20 million still follow cricket. Bring over all of China and we still have 20 million who will make a cricket team. Put simply 50% of 22 is the same as 11% of 100. It is not immigration that reduces the amount of cricketers in the country, but emigration. The leggies argument is further hampered by the fact that the trend in immigration lately seems subcontinental. We are actually bringing in more cricket love.

Blocky

Banned
Well the other problem that Cricket has to overcome is that it simply takes too much time.

If you're a parent and you've got a young child interested in cricket, suddenly you're having to find six to eight hours on Saturday, plus ensure they get to practice each week, etcetera...
If you're a person still playing cricket and you've got a job, social life, etcetera, suddenly you're finding two to three hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays, plus Saturdays, plus Sundays if you're in rep cricket.

People are busier than before, they're also more likely to live in city areas that are becoming harder and harder to get around due to traffic congestion, etcetera.

Victor Ian

International Coach
lol @ thinking Tasmania is part of Australia

That's an absolutely accurate assessment. Obvious even. Not sure why you copped **** for that tbh
Is it? The reason we don't play tennis so much is not that we don't play tennis so much, but that other countries play it better. Australia still plays heaps of tennis. I don't see tennis courts closing. The same applies to cricket. Australia is just in an Ebb. How else do you explain the 80s, where Australia were also in a tennis slump?

Victor Ian

International Coach
Well the other problem that Cricket has to overcome is that it simply takes too much time.

If you're a parent and you've got a young child interested in cricket, suddenly you're having to find six to eight hours on Saturday, plus ensure they get to practice each week, etcetera...
If you're a person still playing cricket and you've got a job, social life, etcetera, suddenly you're finding two to three hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays, plus Saturdays, plus Sundays if you're in rep cricket.

People are busier than before, they're also more likely to live in city areas that are becoming harder and harder to get around due to traffic congestion, etcetera.
That is fair. Nothing to do with immigration diluting anything.

TheJediBrah

It is not the percentage of the population that produces cricketers but the numbers. Let's say 20 million people produces a cricket team. Well, 25 million people still produces a cricket team, even if the last 5 million were all Scandinavian, because the first 20 million still follow cricket. Bring over all of China and we still have 20 million who will make a cricket team. Put simply 50% of 22 is the same as 11% of 100. It is not immigration that reduces the amount of cricketers in the country, but emigration. The leggies argument is further hampered by the fact that the trend in immigration lately seems subcontinental. We are actually bringing in more cricket love.
definitely a fair point

Is it? The reason we don't play tennis so much is not that we don't play tennis so much, but that other countries play it better. Australia still plays heaps of tennis. I don't see tennis courts closing. The same applies to cricket. Australia is just in an Ebb. How else do you explain the 80s, where Australia were also in a tennis slump?
I don't know **** about tennis, even less than I know about cricket, don't ask me

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
So if we were to start looking for a different coach to Boof who do we think the candidates would be? Gillespie?