• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Howe_zat

Audio File
With Stokes out I wouldn't mind a declaration given we are definitely going to be batting twice. Don't really need to though.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
I wonder how India will bat on this flat track? Losing wickets to Moeen again by trying to be too aggressive? The five bowler strategy will be exposed soon enough, but maybe only outside the subcontinent.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Love that discussion then about Mishra, discussing his place and Shiva says that a young lad has bowled well in IPL and could get picked. WTF has IPL performances got to do with a test match place?
It's about getting attention. IPL gets you talked about, seen by a wider audience and fans, makes you popular on twitter, and does play a part in team selection ultimately.

anil1405

International Captain
Manjrekar praising India for not reviewing that delivery which was going way down leg side? What an idiot.

Would rather listen to Howe and ***** all day.

Stapel

International Regular
Regardless of IPL being completely different from Test Cricket, it actuallly is possible to judge a player's ability and technique, by watching him bat or bowl in a different format. It's not like we're judging a cricketer by analysing his rugby abilities.....

cnerd123

likes this
After Bangladesh beat England, South Africa winning from the position they were in, and Trump becoming President, nothing is impossible anymore.

India to win this by 10 wickets

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Regardless of IPL being completely different from Test Cricket, it actuallly is possible to judge a player's ability and technique, by watching him bat or bowl in a different format. It's not like we're judging a cricketer by analysing his rugby abilities.....
No........couldn't disagree with this more.

What can you tell about a test batsmen's technique, when they are playing switch hit's, slog sweeps and scoops every shot?? Similarly how can you tell how a bowler will fair in red ball when they are forced to bowl wide yorkers and change their pace every delivery?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Last 30 mins has been really **** cricket. Going nowhere then lose the batsmen before tea. Rubbish.
Not very smart cricket. Once Stokes was gone, these two may as well have a swing.

All that being said, I'd have settled for this score at the start, so we'll see how we bowl on this track.

Stapel

International Regular

What can you tell about a test batsmen's technique, when they are playing switch hit's, slog sweeps and scoops every shot?? Similarly how can you tell how a bowler will fair in red ball when they are forced to bowl wide yorkers and change their pace every delivery?
Well, T20 batsmen do not play these alternative shots every ball. And bowlers sometimes do simply (try to) bowl a decent line & length.

My point being is that one can try to look through the utter carrousel in T20 (both bowling and batting), and try to judge a player on his technique: run up, use of the wrist, speed, swing, number of revolutions per second...., or footwork, back-lift, keeping eyes on the ball....., whatever. Obviously, important aspects like consistency and patience are hard to judge.

91Jmay

International Coach
tb Mishra's limited overs bowling does reflect his Test bowling well.

Which I guess is part of the problem
Reckon it does for lots of leg spinner. So many of their wickets in ODIs are from filthy delivers that in Tests rarely take wickets.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

It's obviously true to a degree though, even if only a very limited degree.

Watching Chris Martin and Brian Lara play T20 cricket would make it clear to any genuine cricket fan that Martin would be the better Test bowler of the two while Lara would be the better Test batsman.

I realise this may seem like a ridiculouslu semantic point, but I think it's worth making because it's a principle you can extrapolate from. It means we're just drawing a line somewhere rather than saying there is absolutely no correlation at all.

You can largely get a sense of the raw skills of players, but not quite how they'd apply or execute them.

91Jmay

International Coach
Really good effort, last hour or so aside. 537 should put us in position where draw is worst case scenario, especially as India don't generally score extremely quickly.