• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Going back 8 and 16 years to prove a point kind of proves his point.
So far do we look back then? 2013 okay? Broad had a 5fer in the first test.

Or shall we conveniently look at the last 2 years so that we can look at India, New Zealand and West Indies and claim "yepp foreign quicks with reputations are useless here"

think dermo is well within his rights to make that claim despite a few exceptions
You're disappointing me now Mr mister. You really are.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Going back 8 and 16 years to prove a point kind of proves his point.
Nah it's silly. Steyn produced won SA a game in 2008 and in 2012. Anderson owned Australia completely in the 2010-11 ashes. Boult bowled trash all series but almost won NZ the game at Adelaide. Broad bowled perfectly well in the 13-14 ashes. Asif and Amir in 09.It's a bit of a myth really.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned

Or shall we conveniently look at the last 2 years so that we can look at India, New Zealand and West Indies and claim "yepp foreign quicks with reputations are useless here"
Ishant Sharma loves Australian conditions..

New Zealand, very much so considering Boult and Southee were at the time Top 10 players and highly touted by not only New Zealanders but Englishmen alike as being Australian killers, only to end up being completely devoid of anything but miracle balls when it happened to be swinging (i.e for three overs at the start of each innings)

morgieb

Agree, but he's a great bowler for your conditions - uses swing when it's available but doesn't rely on it, has good pace and bounce, is great at bowling the yorker and works players out with a plan. Steyn should have done more in Aussie but he's generally had injury issues there hasn't he?

I'm surprised Broad hasn't done more in the Aussie conditions, he's another guy that seems like he should just take truck fulls anytime he's there.
Did very well in the 2013 whitewash. Maybe he didn't run through a side but he was very consistent all series. 2010/11 he got injured IIRC.

Rabada has to go close to being the best 21 year old of all-time. Very big call but I can't think of anyone who was better at his age. Only one I can think of is Waqar, and there are massive question marks to how old he really is.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mark Nicholas carrying his own ****ing book with him, heh.

Man I do love the cricket show

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah it's silly. Steyn produced won SA a game in 2008 and in 2012. Anderson owned Australia completely in the 2010-11 ashes. Boult bowled trash all series but almost won NZ the game at Adelaide. Broad bowled perfectly well in the 13-14 ashes. It's a bit of a myth really.
I genuinely wasn't aware the myth even existed tbh.

mr_mister

You're disappointing me now Mr mister. You really are.

cool. don't care.

going back to when I was a young lad I remember Shoaib failing in '99, various hyped up poms failing (Harmison, Jones, Broad on his other tours here) not too mention the guys you mentioned.

more often than not, this country has made promising pace stars look ordinary

Blocky

Banned
Did very well in the 2013 whitewash. Maybe he didn't run through a side but he was very consistent all series. 2010/11 he got injured IIRC.

Rabada has to go close to being the best 21 year old of all-time. Very big call but I can't think of anyone who was better at his age. Only one I can think of is Waqar, and there are massive question marks to how old he really is.
Amir pre-match fix was amazingly good for a young kid, Waqar considering as a (super) fast bowler, he was able to have a 14 year test career and play into his thirties, he can't have been much older than was reported.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
cool. don't care.

going back to when I was a young lad I remember Shoaib failing in '99, various hyped up poms failing (Harmison, Jones, Broad on his other tours here) not too mention the guys you mentioned.

more often than not, this country has made promising pace stars look ordinary
Shoaib has 2 5fers in Australia in the 2004 series.
Asif has a 6fer in the 2009 series

Tremlett and Bresnan were a handful in 2010

Steyn always bowled well here

If you want to look in the 90s

Donald, De Villiers, Ambrose all have 5fers here.

And perhaps check what Taylor or Slater have to say about opening against Wasim.

vcs

Ishant Sharma loves Australian conditions..

New Zealand, very much so considering Boult and Southee were at the time Top 10 players and highly touted by not only New Zealanders but Englishmen alike as being Australian killers, only to end up being completely devoid of anything but miracle balls when it happened to be swinging (i.e for three overs at the start of each innings)
He probably averages about 70 in conditions he "loves".

*cries*

vcs

Shoaib has 2 5fers in Australia in the 2004 series.
Asif has a 6fer in the 2009 series

Tremlett and Bresnan were a handful in 2010

Steyn always bowled well here

If you want to look in the 90s

Donald, De Villiers, Ambrose all have 5fers here.

And perhaps check what Taylor or Slater have to say about opening against Wasim.
Ambrose stands out a mile out of all those names. Absolutely bossed it in Australia, over multiple tours as well.

mr_mister

yes. I've watched Wasim tear through us in the early 90s. Great stuff. Ambrose's 7-1 for as well

Pretty sure the original comment was meant to imply the hyped up untested young guns like Rabada(who has been awesome) of which plenty have failed on the first outing

So Shoaib not getting smashed every single tour doesn't really disprove his comment. a broken clock is still right twice a day lol

we're out of sync here BW do you really think he meant 'no foreign quick has ever taken wickets in australia ever' because your argument is coming across like that

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
yes. I've watched Wasim tear through us in the early 90s. Great stuff. Ambrose's 7-1 for as well

Pretty sure the original comment was meant to imply the hyped up untested young guns like Rabada(who has been awesome) of which plenty have failed on the first outing

So Shoaib not getting smashed every single tour doesn't really disprove his comment. a broken clock is still right twice a day lol

we're out of sync here BW do you really think he meant 'no foreign quick has ever taken wickets in australia ever' because your argument is coming across like that
This is his exact quote

good to see a foreign quick with a big reputation finally do something when they come to australia
How do you interpret this?