• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Did South Africa actually win a series in Sri Lanka?

It was famously their last away series defeat in 2006, and they didn't tour there for aaaaages.

And while their away record was amazing, their home record lets them down. Haven't beaten England for 16 years, have never beaten Australia and they made a habit of dropping Tests to opposition they should have absolutely hammered. West Indies, Sri Lanka and Pakistan have all taken Tests off them in the last 7-8 years and they drew at home to an India side that went on to tank in England and Australia.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
They won in 2014.

West Indies, Sri Lanka and Pakistan have all taken Tests off them in the last 7-8 years and they drew at home to an India side that went on to tank in England and Australia.
That Indian side was the number 1 test team at that time and played like one. How they went on to perform in the following year does not negate the fact that they were a quality side in 2009-2010

Last edited:

burr

State Vice-Captain
Did South Africa actually win a series in Sri Lanka?

It was famously their last away series defeat in 2006, and they didn't tour there for aaaaages.

And while their away record was amazing, their home record lets them down. Haven't beaten England for 16 years, have never beaten Australia and they made a habit of dropping Tests to opposition they should have absolutely hammered. West Indies, Sri Lanka and Pakistan have all taken Tests off them in the last 7-8 years and they drew at home to an India side that went on to tank in England and Australia.
Mmm, good point. I think I remember saying at the time SA needed to make home a fortress and it's something they failed to do.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That's one way of looking at it, which is the idiot's way of looking at it. The other way of looking it is that the only two teams to have beaten them at home are England and Australia.Both the sides have bowlers and batsmen for whom adjusting to South African conditions is not as difficult as it is for them to adjust to other away conditions. The idiot's way places a blanket term "away" and that's how far it goes, without actually looking at the vast range of conditions that make up that term.
The best way to look at it is that England and Australia are the only two teams to have beaten South Africa at home, and these are the only two teams that have consistently lost to South Africa at home even during a period of their home fortress. This says everything that needs to be said about the conditions and the fact that the home/away gap here in terms of conditions is not as vast as it is for some of the other places.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Was the term "idiot" really necessary in that post BW??.........Jeez fella sometimes your posts really don't read well. You could have easily made that point without being so condescending.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was the term "idiot" really necessary in that post BW??.........Jeez fella sometimes your posts really don't read well. You could have easily made that point without being so condescending.
But he's a STAFF MEMBER he must be right surely?!?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So you had a problem with me using that term but not it's use in the other thread? It's the same word, different posters. One is acceptable and the other is not.
I didn't even click on the link mate as I'm not interested........I called out a **** post, doesn't mean I police this place for all **** posts. And frankly, the someone else did it so why can't I is beyond a childish response.

Fact is Burr made a very reasonable comment, you countered it with a very good counter argument but totally ruined it's credibility (IMO) by being a dick about it. As far as I've seen Burr is far from an idiot and makes some good contributions here. You can have opposing opinions to someone.......doesn't make any one an idiot FFS.

Edit:

And I can see where this may be headed, so before you waste your time trolling my posts, yes I'm sure you will find one where I have called someone an idiot.

But it wont be directed towards an innocuous comment/opinion that I disagree with......it will be because that someone was behaving/posting like an idiot. Still shouldn't do it, I accept that but it is an entirely different kettle of fish to this.

Last edited: