• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I know it won't happen, but when ABdV comes back, I hope they go for this batting line up:

Elgar
Amla
Faf
Duminy
ABdV
Bavuma

Exactly what I would recommend too. Think it would be best if Amla can open and Faf can bat above AB. Only change I would make is, if any of the allrounders come through for SA, I would have QDK at 6, then lets say, Morris at 7, Philander at 8, Steyn at 9, Shamsi at 10 and Rabada at 11.

Bahseph

International Debutant
How big does the lead have to be for Australia to think they have no chance of chasing it down? I've honestly never seen them bat for the draw except with the Neville/O'Keefe partnership in Sri Lanka.

Bijed

International Regular
How big does the lead have to be for Australia to think they have no chance of chasing it down? I've honestly never seen them bat for the draw except with the Neville/O'Keefe partnership in Sri Lanka.
Wasn't even that at least in part because O'Keefe literally couldn't run or something? Loved it regardless, spent goodness knows how long glued to my screen watching nothing happen and it was wonderful.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think PEWS used to have that kitten as his avatar, made me laugh every time.

If you put all the off-field nonsense aside, I still think India's tour in 2007-08 was the best Australian Test series we've had in recent times, purely from a cricketing perspective.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
I was going to say as long as Warner's in Australia will have a chance.... but then I remembered that game in Hobart vs NZ where he carried his bat in the 4th innings for a century and we still lost.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SA arent writing off cook yet and not me too. Looks like one of them who will find his way through after struggling
Yeah, but they have AB coming back, and presumably they can't drop Duminy or Bavuma. So, Cook it is. Plus Duminy deserves a run at number 4. AB is best at 5 anyways. So, one of Bavuma or Amla will have to open. Sorry, Cook.

If Amla opens, it's Faf at 3. If Bavuma does, Faf goes to 6, where he can try and become the Misbah of South Africa.

StephenZA

SA arent writing off cook yet and not me too. Looks like one of them who will find his way through after struggling
I think he is unfortunately in bad form and has been found out on some technical issues at test level. He has the right temperament to be a good opening batsmen and correct those issues, but I think his age will be a factor against him when we have younger talented batsmen coming through and we cant wait for him to sort himself out. SA already have some batsmen sitting out that should be given a shot at international level, like Rillee never mind fitting AB into the team.

It will be interesting to see how Duminy handles the SL spinners later this year, it has been a problem for him.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
If they have AB to choose from then its hard to see how Cook plays. Elgar, Faf, ABDV, QDK and you'd expect one white bowler leaves Cook in the cold.

Impressive fightback from South Africa, although its going to be a bloody hard slog for their bowlers with one man down.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
True, but the situations were vastly different.

In 2004/05, the SA team had Steyn on debut, AB on debut, Amla in his first home series and various others of the previous generation on their last legs. Against the same England side that won the Ashes shortly after. England were far the better team but still could only manage the series win following a major batting collapse in the at the Wanderers (i think) on the final day.

The 2009 series that finished 1-1 was something of an aberration. First Test, England out classed but hang on nine-down on the final day with Graham Onions surviving the last half hour. Proteas proceed to get comfortable beaten at Kingsmead, our worst home ground. Third Test, Proteas again clearly the better team and one again that man Onions with England being nine down. Fourth Test at the Wanderers Proteas win by an innings.

2015 Series - well England deserved to win in the post Kallis/Smith era.
you make it sound like england were handed the series which is dishonest to say the least. south africa were torn to shreds by one of the greatest displays of swing bowling of all time by matthew hoggard. yes you collapsed but at the hands of utterly godly bowling.

if that were steyn who put in that performance, people would have been jizzing themselves into a frenzy.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but they have AB coming back, and presumably they can't drop Duminy or Bavuma. So, Cook it is. Plus Duminy deserves a run at number 4. AB is best at 5 anyways. So, one of Bavuma or Amla will have to open. Sorry, Cook.

If Amla opens, it's Faf at 3. If Bavuma does, Faf goes to 6, where he can try and become the Misbah of South Africa.
Bavuma is a gutsy fighter and fielder. But I would swap him with Abdv. Tough but is there a need to push someone upto opening (not sure he's done it before). Also with Abdv and bavuma both at the middle order seems like a bit thin atm.

1. Elgar
2. Cook
3. Amla
4. Duminy
5. Abdv
6. Faf
7. De Kock

StephenZA

Bavuma is a gutsy fighter and fielder. But I would swap him with Abdv. Tough but is there a need to push someone upto opening (not sure he's done it before). Also with Abdv and bavuma both at the middle order seems like a bit thin atm.

1. Elgar
2. Cook
3. Amla
4. Duminy
5. Abdv
6. Faf
7. De Kock
Politics will ensure that does not happen.... particularly when he has done better than Cook, is younger and has lots of potential.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Just the two in England, 2 in Australia, one in Pakistan, one or two in Sri Lanka , a few in West Indies and New Zealand

The draws were in India and Dubai
That's an incredible record. I mean I was aware of it but it doesn't get nearly enough recognition. Just imagine if Aust, Eng, India had that in recent times. You wouldn't hear the end of it.