• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And Starc's knack of first-over poles, I honestly can't think of any bowler I've ever seen or heard of who's so good at that. You, an opener walk out, still waking up, some bloke lopes into bowl like a high-jumper and rips down 150K's hooping balls. Nasty.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maharaj may not have been the correct choice... but he earned his spot and does turn and drift the ball. He got in front of Morkel ultimately cause of batting, IMO, as the strip looked drier than expected. Of course he is nervous. Hindsight Morkel should have played as we originally expected him to.

SA got into **** this morning because, not unexpectedly, our openers did not perform in the face of some good bowing (nothing exceptional) and Amla got out cheaply. Bavuma and QDK showed that they belong, even under pressure. Then our bowlers bowled to short (even Steyn as good as he was) and, in particular, wide to Warner... now we will be fighting for the rest of the match. Hopefully we can put up a better performance; we have the bowlers to get into the Aussie line-up but not by bowling trash like we did.. even if the wicket is 'flat' (dont think so, still some nip and pace/bounce as always).

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Goodness knows what was going through Steyn's mind during his spell. Maybe he privately has doubts that he had what it takes as a pace bowler anymore, hence his diversion into bowling short and fast to satisfy his ego instead of pitching the ball up to an edgy Marsh.

Brutal stuff from Oz today, virtually killing off the contest. Innings victory on the cards at this rate.

Gob

International Coach
And Starc's knack of first-over poles, I honestly can't think of any bowler I've ever seen or heard of who's so good at that. You, an opener walk out, still waking up, some bloke lopes into bowl like a high-jumper and rips down 150K's hooping balls. Nasty.
Can think of 2 other leftarmers in Was Akram and Chaminda Vaas with that habbit

indiaholic

International Captain
Maharaj may not have been the correct choice... but he earned his spot and does turn and drift the ball. He got in front of Morkel ultimately cause of batting, IMO, as the strip looked drier than expected. Of course he is nervous. Hindsight Morkel should have played as we originally expected him to.
Edit: Don't know how i missed the first sentence you wrote lol. And pardon my ignorance but why wasn't Piedt picked?

Last edited:

StephenZA

Edit: Don't know how i missed the first sentence you wrote lol. And pardon my ignorance but why wasn't Piedt picked?
Poor form and inconsistent recently. If we needed to play a spinner I would have liked Shamsi more, but he can`t bat for ****...

Burgey

Well, if there was ever a pitch that suited this current Oz lineup, this was it. Pacy but true bounce, very little spin/seam and fast outfield. Doubt Lehmann/Warner will be whining over this pitch.
That doesn't explain the first two sessions though.

Amla getting a good one early really hurt SA

StephenZA

And all those calling for Morkel... you realize he is a back of length bowler. Every-time he pitches full, which he struggles to do, its like he floats it up. He would have been great for roughing some batsmen up but I`m not sure if he would have got any more wickets... Abbott maybe should have played though.

DriveClub

International Regular
And all those calling for Morkel... you realize he is a back of length bowler. Every-time he pitches full, which he struggles to do, its like he floats it up. He would have been great for roughing some batsmen up but I`m not sure if he would have got any more wickets... Abbott maybe should have played though.
Morkel always does well again aus, they find hard to get him off. He should have definitely played.

Top_Cat

Yeah Abbott a bit stiff for this game, tbh. Bowling quite well right now, might have played over Philander.