• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

cnerd123

likes this
Duminy is the only player of colour in this team who has question marks against his name in terms of his Test selection , that's why discussing him can be controversial.

Philander and Rabada are genuinely two of the top three pacers in the country. Amla is Amla. Bavuma had his doubters but every one in SA agrees he deserves his spot now. Maharaj warrants his selection. He has been consistent domestically and he can bat. He also captained recently in a T20 cup back home.

I think with Duminy , anyone who has watched him bat just feels continously frustrated with his overall record cos he always looks classy.
Yea and that's the thing here too - all countries have frustrating under-performers, and all countries make weird selections. Heck India just picked Hardik Pandya in Tests ffs.

It's only in South Africa where anyone would insinuate something sinister behind the selection of such players, because the Quota System is a thing. And that's so horrible now. The second a non-white player isn't out and out obviously holding his spot in the side by being brilliant, people are now going to suggest he's only in the XI due to the colour of the skin. No more grey area, no other explanations or schools of though offered up. No other possible theories. Nope. Must be the Quota system.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I don't doubt what you say about frustration with his batting, but in these circumstances with de Villiers out, are there a lot of stand out rivals for his place? When I've heard the Saffer fans have the shits with him, I can't recall there being widespread agreement on who should be in ahead of him atm.
Fully agree with you there. We have been frustrated with him for years but he has to play at the moment. Especially for the rest of the tour.

Question marks around him or not, you understand why the selectors went with him above Rillee , Van Zyl etc.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Duminy is the only player of colour in this team who has question marks against his name in terms of his Test selection , that's why discussing him can be controversial.

Philander and Rabada are genuinely two of the top three pacers in the country. Amla is Amla. Bavuma had his doubters but every one in SA agrees he deserves his spot now. Maharaj warrants his selection. He has been consistent domestically and he can bat. He also captained recently in a T20 cup back home.

I think with Duminy , anyone who has watched him bat just feels continously frustrated with his overall record cos he always looks classy.
And that's fine. It's saying quotas are the only reason to pick him that's bullshit.

There's this nasty underlying attitude that results in quota talk whenever SA selection comes up, usually related to them 'never being able to pick their best XI', which someone actually said earlier in this thread, with the quite explicit meaning being that white players in general are better. That's why the whinging becomes too much.

In the England series the SA selectors messed up in the third test when they dropped Piedt for Viljoen and that was pretty much the only big mistake they made, other than sticking with van Zyl for too long. Obviously neither of these things had anything to do with quotas. But people still blamed losing on quotas, because there must be some problem it's causing, right?

It's easier than dealing with actual reasons.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This was *****``s post. A perfectly valid point that I (and others) have made.

And the discussion also mentioned Maharaj/ Philander in front of Morkel not just Duminy`s position.
stop you're letting facts get in the way

There is literally no reason to play a guy who averages 50+ against Australia on this tour other than the colour of his skin. They could be playing 4 blokes who have never played here before in the same top 7, if only they had the courage to pick white people
I'm sorry, ***** quoted a post by mr_mister saying that the Quota system would get Duminy to a 100 tests. That is a perfectly valid post mMy problem with *****'s posting hasn't been the point he's been making, rather that he picked out a harmless list from mr_mister and tried to print it as something which was somehow offensive. Sorry, that's bs. The point mr was making was my even isolated to Duminy's selection here in this match, rather his continued selection even though he's mostly been shite for years. This is not remotely controversial.

Last edited:

morgieb

I can't see why picking Duminy is a howler. Don't get why he's batting 4 though....

When De Villiers comes back in though he shouldn't be picked.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Yea and that's the thing here too - all countries have frustrating under-performers, and all countries make weird selections. Heck India just picked Hardik Pandya in Tests ffs.

It's only in South Africa where anyone would insinuate something sinister behind the selection of such players, because the Quota System is a thing. And that's so horrible now. The second a non-white player isn't out and out obviously holding his spot in the side by being brilliant, people are now going to suggest he's only in the XI due to the colour of the skin. No more grey area, no other explanations or schools of though offered up. No other possible theories. Nope. Must be the Quota system.
It's just so unfortunate. It's one of the most sensitive topics in SA. In all walks of life. 20 years on and race is still a big issue here.

OverratedSanity

Nah, I fail to see how mister's post insinuated any of what you're saying. Seems like a massive leap to make from one harmless post he made.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
. But people still blamed losing on quotas,
Literally seen no one here doing this.

I've seen nothing from people here other that disdain for its very being. even with Philander at the World Cup it was more of "Well why the **** should the real AB have to worry about this on the eve of his biggest moment?"

cnerd123

likes this
I'm sorry, ***** quoted a post by mr_mister saying that the Quota system would get Duminy to a 100 tests. That is a perfectly valid posts. My problem with *****'s posting hasn't been the point he's been making, rather that he picked out a harmless list from mr_mister and tried to print it as something which was somehow offensive. Sorry, that's bs. The point mr was making was my even isolated to Duminy's selection here in this match, rather his continued selection even though he's mostly been shite for years. This is not remotely controversial.
Nah Duminy's continued selection down the years isn't down to him being coloured. He's been playing since before the quota system is a thing, is still one of the most talented batsmen in the country, bowls useful offspin and is an excellent spinner and by all accounts is well liked in the dressing room.

He's could play a 100 tests due to the Rohit Sharma syndrome, to put it down to quotas is lazy and annoying.

Flem274*

123/5
duminy is annoying because he's filler and filler gets targeted when the team is struggling and has no standout awful player to blame

OverratedSanity

Nah Duminy's continued selection down the years isn't down to him being coloured. He's been playing since before the quota system is a thing, is still one of the most talented batsmen in the country, bowls useful offspin and is an excellent spinner and by all accounts is well liked in the dressing room.

He's could play a 100 tests due to the Rohit Sharma syndrome, to put it down to quotas is lazy and annoying.
No one is saying it's solely down to quotas. If you can't see how the Quota system might contribute to Duminy playing a bucket load of tests in the future despite not being good, which is prettyuch all mister was saying, I have nothing more to add.