• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in Bangladesh 2016

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Its undeniable.

Fair enough you can not care or think its the right thing, but when someone points this out there's no need to blindly deny or defend it just because it's the team you support. Its just clear that England havent taken this test as seriously as they would have against any other major test nation.
Nah C'mon Jono......I don't think anyone (me and Jmay LOL) are doing that. I just think this schedule we've got is crazy and I can accept the rotation/looking at those likely to play in the next few weeks.

Look, I want the best 11 on the park every game, but you get fronted with this any it's just never gonna happen.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I'm not buying this. Would England have done this if the opponent was Pak/SL/NZ/SA? The answer is no and you know it. Against any of the other nations, they'd prioritize the current series. It's almost as if they consider Bangladesh beneath them tbh, and it comes off poorly.
Yeah, I lean towards your side on this question. It's not great for the integrity of the contest.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If that was the reason then I think it's fairly silly but true enough it wouldn't be arrogant -- it would have happened against any other opposition. I'm not sure I really buy it though.

LIke I said I'm basically fine with the Broad thing .. if they've identified that he probably won't be able to play all the Tests this winter at full fitness and picked out this Test as probably the best one to rest him in, I think that's fine. Deciding that you'll just have a look at a player in preparation for the 'real series' when the one you're dropping doesn't need to rest, the series is live and you've only just scraped home in the previous game (if that's what has happened -- it's possible you're right and it was for other reasons) definitely seems a big step further than that to me though, and a bit ****.
Let's be honest though. We'd do it against any side if it was just before an Ashes series and had question marks.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Haven't India just come off a test and ODI series vs. NZ and are about to play the same 5 tests? At home sure, they even were up 2-0 and chose their best team for the third.
India have played 7 tests this year.......this is our 12th.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Modern scheduling means teams have to prioritise between what would in the past have been considered equally important series
So we agree that they're demoting the importance of this series right?

Would be good if everyone just called a spade a spade then.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Modern scheduling means teams have to prioritise between what would in the past have been considered equally important series
Yeah, and I think that means sometimes they have to rest players to manage their workloads. I get that, and I think it's a necessary evil.

To me there's a big difference between "we've got lots of Tests coming up so we need to manage our players' workloads" and "we've got this Test series we don't really care about coming up, that's a great opportunity to give some fringe players a run and finalise our eleven for this other series" though. The former is merely not allowing one series to really compromise one you might find more important, while the latter is trying to use a series just as preparation for another which I find much more dubious, at least when the result isn't overwhelming likely to go in your favour regardless.

91Jmay

International Coach
FFS fringe players are playing in the first 11, rotating out one fringe player for another is completely rational.

Seems pretty disingenuous to pretend Gareth Batty is Swann.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So we agree that they're demoting the importance of this series right?

Would be good if everyone just called a spade a spade then.

Mate, I already knowledge that.......

Hard or not I'm gonna have a crack!!!

I really don't believe it is arrogant at all........You are not going to get through 7 tests in 8 1/2 weeks with 11 players. It's ****ed but that's what we're faced with.

It's not arrogant to prioritise the 5 tests against India over 2 tests against Bangladesh, especially when we're 1 up. This is a good Bangladesh side and any team will have to play well to beat them in their own back yard.

But I'd take a 1-1 draw here if it means we have half an idea what team is our best for India and we're competitive.